Sign in to follow this  
jcmomo

Video Setting Lock Cannot Go Above Normal for Video Memory

After reinstal windows, same problem. HUD and Texture flickering. Crash to desktop after 15 min. gameplay.

Come on Bohemia, fix this!

All games run without problems, only Arma 2 OA not! (BF3, Crysis 2, CSS, Diablo 3, Portal 2)

100.000.000 updates and the game is still unplayable. Whats wrong here?

My System:

Win 7 Ultimate SP1 (All updates)

CPU: Intel 3.5 GHZ

RAM: 4 GB (3 GB used)

VGA: GeForce GTX 580 witg 3 GB RAM

VGA Driver: v301.42

ArmA2 (latest v1.11 patch)

ArmA2 OA (latest 1.60 patch)

no mods

Edited by brzozowsky

Hi all,

I have the same issue as the OP: my video memory/textures are locked on low/normal :( and I'm also experiencing textures flickering (although my ingame UI is fine)

I did some testing as someone previously asked:

I have currently 8GB of RAM (2 sticks of 4GB) on my PC and tried using only one 4GB stick. Guess what? Now I can choose "Very High" Video Memory/Textures ingame and the game actually runs smother (I think) with better objects/terrain textures.

This is what my dxdiag shows when using 4GB and 8GB RAM:

4GB RAM:

Approx. Total Video Memory: 2296MB

8GB RAM:

Approx. Total Video Memory: 244MB

When using 8GB of RAM I tried the -maxVRAM commandline, tried modifying the .cfg files without success and still get the same problem as OP. I wanna know if there's a way to Dxdiag show the correct VRAM value cause I don't wanna get rid of 4GB of RAM just to play ArmA 2. :(

PS: Drivers/BIOS/DirectX are all up to date. Windows 7 is fully updated.

System Specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1090T @3.8ghz

Motherboard: M4A88T-V EVO

RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600mhz 9-9-9-24

PSU: Corsair TX650 - 650W

GPU: Radeon HD 4870 - 512MB

Thanks!

Hi all,

I have the same issue as the OP: my video memory/textures are locked on low/normal :( and I'm also experiencing textures flickering (although my ingame UI is fine)

I did some testing as someone previously asked:

I have currently 8GB of RAM (2 sticks of 4GB) on my PC and tried using only one 4GB stick. Guess what? Now I can choose "Very High" Video Memory/Textures ingame and the game actually runs smother (I think) with better objects/terrain textures.

Did you try what was recommended on the first page of this thread?

-Reset the config to the standard configuration > restart the game and try again.

-Remove (don't delete) the config folders (all Arma2 folders) from the "my documents folder" (if A2 is not running) > restart and try again

-If all fails just edit the C:\Users\Lars\Documents\ArmA 2\ArmA2.cfg

-Install or reinstalled the video drivers (or reset all its config)

-Good Luck!

Did you try what was recommended on the first page of this thread?

Yeah, just tried those steps again and I'm still having the same issues

EDIT: Oh, forgot to say I'm using Windows 7 64bit so I cant apply that 32bit hotfix :(

Edited by LordLobs

It seems those hotfixes are from 2010. Would they not be installed as part of Windows Updates by now anyway?

I use Win7 x64 with a 2GB 6950 and 8GB RAM. I haven't noticed this flickering problem, but dxdiag reports 1767MB VRAM and my Arma2OA.cfg contains:

localVRAM=2129182720;

nonlocalVRAM=2147483647;

so I'm not sure if this is correct or not.

On many systems the dxdiag shows a wrong vram. this is normal. but the vram problems in game is not a windows or hardware problem.

I took some screenshots with both configurations today:

1 stick of 4GB of RAM (total: 4GB)

dxdiag: http://s17.postimage.org/ue24bk0od/4gb.png

3rd person: http://s11.postimage.org/i8t6bmzld/4_GB_3rd_person.jpg

Grass textures: http://s18.postimage.org/r49i4conr/4_GB_grass.jpg

--

2 sticks of 4GB of RAM (total: 8GB)

dxdiag: http://s13.postimage.org/j43xnxnhx/8_GB.png

3rd person: http://s17.postimage.org/7xs4iy2jx/8_GB_3rd_person.jpg

Grass textures: http://s15.postimage.org/p55rff0l5/8_GB_grass.jpg

--

Settings used for all screenshots: http://s13.postimage.org/jvf1cojed/settings.jpg

--

Since I can't choose Very High Video Memory/Texture Detail using 8GB of RAM since dxdiag shows a wrong VRAM value, I locked those settings on my USER.ArmA2OAProfile changing the following lines:

TexQuality=3;

TexMemory=3;

I'm also experiencing flickering in that 8GB configuration like in these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XftMd...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwWIO...layer_embedded

I'd like to point out again that my game runs absolutely fine with 4GB of RAM.

C'mon Bohemia, Microsoft isn't going to fix this dxdiag bug since it has been around since 2010. And also that -maxVRAM= commandline didn't work for me (I've tried values from 512 to 2047)

Thanks!

Same issue (low quality textures and UI flicker) present on Windows 8 Release Preview with 8GB ram, Radeon 7850 and Intel C2Q 9505

This sounds more like a computer issue. I have 8GB of RAM and in my dxdiag it shows Approx. Total Memory 4042 MB and dxdiag has nothing to do with ArmA2. ArmA2 don't change your "Approx. Total Memory". This is some kind of hardware/computer issue.

The Approx. Total Memory means that is the total memory from Dedicated Video Memory + Shared System Memory = Approx. Total Memory

My dxdiag:

Running the Microsoft DirectX Diagnostic Tool may show the incorrect total memory under the Display tab for the video card, as shown in the below picture. In this example, a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 with 2048MB of video memory is being reported as 4042 MB approx. total memory.

image.png

This is only the "approximate" total of memory the video card is using and will include not only the total video memory but also the shared system memory in the computer. Viewing the display properties for the video card will break down how the memory is used as shown in the below example. As can be seen in the below picture, the adapter properties show that the dedicated video memory as well as shared system memory.

image.png

Edited by MJK-Ranger

I think Approx. Total Memory, which is on the Display tab, is meant to be the VRAM not the system RAM, so for my 2GB card, it's not far off as it shows 1767MB.

On the System tab it correctly shows my System RAM as 8192MB.

---------- Post added at 16:07 ---------- Previous post was at 16:04 ----------

Since I can't choose Very High Video Memory/Texture Detail using 8GB of RAM since dxdiag shows a wrong VRAM value, I locked those settings on my USER.ArmA2OAProfile changing the following lines:

My understanding was that you should set Video Memory to Default and then it will use however much VRAM your card has, whereas the other settings can restrict it to use less than is available.

---------- Post added at 16:11 ---------- Previous post was at 16:07 ----------

The Approx. Total Memory means that is the total memory from Dedicated Video Memory + Shared System Memory = Approx. Total Memory

As you can see in this image, I have 2 GB Dedicated Video Memory on my GPU

and it has 2 GB Shared System Memory that my GPU can use if needed. And this is Approx. Total Memory = 4042MB (4095MB)

Whatever it's meant to show, it obviously doesn't work properly a lot of the time, unless I have -281MB Shared System Memory (2048-1767)!

I think Approx. Total Memory, which is on the Display tab, is meant to be the VRAM not the system RAM, so for my 2GB card, it's not far off as it shows 1767MB.

On the System tab it correctly shows my System RAM as 8192MB.

Yes, it shows VRAM... and It's not a computer problem, as it was said before, it's a known issue that dxdiag shows an incorrect VRAM in computers with more than 4GB of RAM (yes, system RAM not VRAM):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2026022/en-us?p=1

And your video card has 2GB of VRAM mine has 512MB. That's why, even with your dxdiag showing the incorrect amount, you still have enough to choose Very High Video Memory and stuff in your ArmA 2 settings.

My understanding was that you should set Video Memory to Default and then it will use however much VRAM your card has, whereas the other settings can restrict it to use less than is available.

Again, my game works absolutely fine with 4GB of RAM... no flickering, great textures (as shown on my previous post) and SAME PERFORMANCE (about 45-55fps @empty chernarus). I'll record a video of this at some point when I have the time to open my PC case again.

PS: My RAM is fine, so it's not some sort of problem with the second stick. I ran a stress with prime95 for like 8hours last night :(, and also memtest.

Oh, and dxdiag always show my System Memory correctly. The problem lies with that incorrect VRAM value on the display tab.

Well, thanks again!

Edited by LordLobs

the problem is the values getting more off with cards over 1GB (1.5GB, 2GB, 3GB etc) and it vary on your normal RAM size > 4GB

MS KB arcicle covers only 1GB case http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2026022/en-us?p=1

for example i just looked on system with 4GB RAM and 1GB VRAM and it reports in dxdiag

Approx Total memory : 2806 MB

which seems to be correct as

Process Explorer 15.2 (from SysInternals, Microsoft) reports (push CTRL+I)

Dedicated GPU memory = 1014 MB

+

Dedicated System GPU memory = 1792 MB

thats 2806 MB

... now You should compare these 2 values at Your system and see if DXdiag differs

from Process Explorer or if they both off too much from expected/correct value ...

... now You should compare these 2 values at Your system and see if DXdiag differs

from Process Explorer or if they both off too much from expected/correct value ...

8GB of RAM with a 512MB VRAM GPU (HD 4870):

Approx. Video Memory (DXdiag) = 244MB

Process Explorer:

Dedicated GPU Memory (limit) = 513 MB

System GPU Memory (limit) = 3932 MB

Dedicated + System = 4445 MB

--

4GB of RAM with a 512MB VRAM GPU (HD 4870):

Approx. Video Memory (dxdiag) = 2296 MB

Process Explorer:

Dedicated GPU Memory (limit) = 517 MB

System GPU Memory (limit) = 1835 MB

Dedicated+System = 2352MB

i have the same issue maybe i found why, before i was on 7go so i don't have dual channel maybe it can be that ?

the problem is the values getting more off with cards over 1GB (1.5GB, 2GB, 3GB etc) and it vary on your normal RAM size > 4GB

MS KB arcicle covers only 1GB case http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2026022/en-us?p=1

for example i just looked on system with 4GB RAM and 1GB VRAM and it reports in dxdiag

Approx Total memory : 2806 MB

which seems to be correct as

Process Explorer 15.2 (from SysInternals, Microsoft) reports (push CTRL+I)

Dedicated GPU memory = 1014 MB

+

Dedicated System GPU memory = 1792 MB

thats 2806 MB

So what is the workaround?

Latest beta patch (build 94945) fixed it for me :D

Thank you, Bohemia Interactive! <3

yep, it should be fixed now :)

Well, ladies and gentelmen, looks like I'm enforced to join to this thread.

Situation :

Three days ago I upgraded my system from ATI HD 4890 to 7970. First time everything was ok, but when I launched CCleaner just right before shot down my PC (for freshing up the system after daily usage), I discovered, that system don't detect one of RAM sticks (I have 12 Gb on board - 6x2), displaying only 8 Gb RAM. So, I reassembled system block, and after this problem of non-detected RAM stick was resolved, but... When I launched an A2 today... I have encountered this discussig problem with flickering textures and UI elements. I suspect, that rolling back to an old videocard can help to resolve that issue, but it will be very sad, if this is only way. :(

So, I'm apologize for digging out an old thread, but I need help, guys. :depressed:

System specifications :

Intel Core i7 920 2.67 Gghz

12 Gb RAM

ATI HD 7970 3Gb Vram

ASUS Rampage II Etreme Mother Board

Windows Vista x64 OS

I already have tried different videodrivers without any effect...

My ArmA 2 is up-to-day and is 1.62, without beta patches.

So, that's it...

Please sorry for my ugly english.

Regards, Shadow_Vit.

So, nobody can help me ? Is this a really unsolving problem, that can not be resolved by software measures, but only by hardware ones ? :(

Its a SW issue on your part. I have a X58 chipset, with a 7970, tho i am on 6GB of RAM. I believe your "cleaning up" with CC is a bad idea and very unnecessary, unless you are always testing/installing new SW, but then you SHOULD be using a good Image back up SW anyways.

If it was a HW issue, it would be related to your 12GB, pull 6GB out or only use three slots to test.

Thanks for your reply, kklownboy.

It looks like that I discovered the reason of an issue. The problem is not because of hardware itself, definitely not because of RAM, or new videocard. The key of the problem is in a software, and this is... ArmA Launcher. :omg:

I'm in absolutely disarray... before upgrade it worked pretty fine, but now, when game is launch through this program, it has a bug with wrong VRAM detection... at the same time, when launching through standard shortcut, problem doesn't exist. :j:

I've tried to startup ArmA Launcher within administrator rights and in compatibility mod, but it doesn't help.

So,... any ideas ?

Scrap the old launcher and download a new one, or don’t use a launcher at all. I know its convenient but making your own folders is much better, well for me anyway.

Could use six updater I suppose, it launches and auto updates, I use it for the update side, but not as a launcher..:)

ChrisB, thanks for your reply.

First of all, I want to bring up my apologize for misinforming everyone here. Yesterday, after long testing period, I discovered, that problem of wrong VRam detection on my system was caused by -winxp startup parameter, not ArmA Launcher itself. It looks like, that it is not compatible with new generation of ATI drivers \ videocards anymore.

So, this problem was resolved. A new one, that now I will be enforced to use additionally program application, like Fraps, to make a screenshots, but this is another story. :)