Sign in to follow this  
djczing

Armor Targetting/engagement in 1.60

Hello -

I was playing BE Warfare the other night on my dedicated server, and was a soldier commanding a couple squads of infantry and 2 bradleys as we went to cut off the russian advance from their flanks.

I found em where I thought I would, but the bradleys never openned fire (they were under my command), and we all got decimated.

So... why, given the 'engage at will' command wouldnt the bradleys engage ?

As a test, I dropped a couple russian tanks on the runway in chernarus, and a couple bradleys under my command. I was again infantry.

The bradleys fired their bushmasters at the tanks, non-stop, but never engaged with TOWs until I specifically told them to target one of the tanks. At that point, they used TOWs to destroy both enemy tanks quickly.

I duplicated this issue with 1.60 latest beta, and 1.60 base, and no mods.

I then did the same thing with a couple of M1A2s, and got the same result - once I told them to engage one of the tanks, only then did they use their main gun (they were shooting their turret gun at the tanks before I told them to specifically engage one of the tanks) to destroy both enemy tanks.

This aint right.

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere, but has anyone else seen this ??

Sounds bad all right. As if they think there is a human commander in the vehicle, same behaviour anyway.

Sounds bad all right. As if they think there is a human commander in the vehicle, same behaviour anyway.

Interesting you say that, because as a further test I dismounted the commander of one of the tanks and I got in, and commanding the gunner to target one of the russian tanks only got machine gun fired at it -- but I guess I needed to switch his weapon to the main gun (??), so I didnt count that as part of the problem.

I think maybe in fixing the gunner issue in 1.6 they may have broken it in a different way. I dont know.

Its an easy and quick test to do, if someone wants to try it. Just go into the editor (not on a server), drop 2 tanks per side down, and yourself on the ground as their leader:

Command them to danger

Command them to engage at will

For me, this only gets turret-gun fire (not the .50) from both tanks, and they do that whether you command any of the above at all.

Tell etiher tank commander to engage one of the enemy tanks, and then he destroys both.

CAS won't engage for me anymore. Might be related.

Edited by Zatoichi

I've had the same problem.

Playing BAF mission - retrieve the UN vehicles. If I do not command the warrior myself it fires on enemy vehicles (including armoured) with the machinegun only.

If I board the tank to command, then I can get the gunner to use the auto-cannon. However he defaults to machine gun which means a dangerous delay changing weapons. Also once changed to cannon he often changes back to machine gun. Happens when I change targets and sometimes during a fire order.

I'm not experienced enough to say whether this used to happen or not.