Sign in to follow this  
weirdo10o4

Creating flying tracer rounds. createVehicle ?

So, I'm trying to create flying tracers with the createVehicle command, but apparently it can't

be done through that alone. I have no idea how to dig deeper in to the game files to find what

I need, probably. E.g. when creating fires you have to access something like ...\Ca\Data\..., may that

be another question: how do you browse those files?

• How do you create flying tracers with createVehicle command (or any command) in a script?
    • I need real, game default(no addon adverts, please), tracer rounds that can hurt people,
      not effects alone.

[*]How do you browse Ca / similar files with effects and such in them? Is there a way to prev-

iew the effects?

I don't want to hear about tracer magazines. I do know how to give my sol-

dier tracer rounds. I have lots of mission making experience spanning from OFP to OFP:E and

now Arma 2:CO.

Also if you happen to find an answer to this question through the search tool, please post your

keywords when you reprimand me. I couldn't find anything except my old post, posted quite a

while ago now, which I tried to get renamed before posting this. I also think this post (renamed

and more accurate) should serve anyone who might search for this question later better.

(hence the tracer magazines confusion thing :o).

Thank you in advance for your attention to this post and any help you can provide. :bounce3:

Just to be clear, addons means anything that might limit the accessibility of a mission to players in

multiplayer, any suggestions that don't are welcome. I did find the model of a tracer, indirectly with

the fired event handler, it's "tracers(backslash)tracer_red.p3d"? Create vehicle won't spawn it.

Back in OFP, you could create the bullet itself, but I have no idea if that'd work in ArmA2. Plus, it looked like crap in OFP, so I never really pushed it much.

Thanks for your replies.

Yes a bullet can be created with createVehicle, I've done it a lot. Tracers on the other

hand appear to be a bit harder to make. I specifically need to create tracer rounds. :/

So far I managed to attach a light to a bullet, pretty, but not of any use for me. Good

when practicing AA and air to air engagement with guns though.

Since you're not using ACE (no addons?) you can't just create one of the tracer rounds I guess? Looking at a few tracer mods they all add tracers at the config level, meaning you'd need an addon. Maybe look into particle effects, that might let you use the tracer model directly? Haven't really played with that stuff much. It's always just been easier to use an addon.

This might be completely off the mark as I have minimal experience with textures..... but could the tracer be a texture that can be applied to the bullet model somehow? I have looked at the configs in the past and fiddled with the tracer .paa's in Photoshop.

Just thinking out aloud here.