Sign in to follow this  
cpl_hicks

Does anybody know how many DoF A3 will have?

I only brought this up because I read that Rfactor has 15 degrees of freedom for cars.

I know its apples and oranges but I was just wondering in terms of land vehicles will there be a difference in dof from arma2 to 3.

What you most likely read was that RFactor has 15 axes of control, allowing analogue control of accelerator, brake, steering etc. Including 6 for head orientation & movement.

---------- Post added at 09:53 ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 ----------

When you sticked your head closer to the screen it zoomed in, right? That's what I remember when I used the TIR5 that I sold after some weeks...

Yes, so it could be said that ArmA uses 5DoF, although the zoom was not a translation or a rotation, it is a control :)

Zoom (Translating head forward & back) is one of the axes that can be controlled with TrackIR.

Personally I don't use all available axes inTrackIR:

-I don't use "Roll" (head lean side to side) This will be used in ARMA3 for helicopters.

-I don't use "Y" axis (head move Up/Down) Very hard to move head up and down when sitting on a chair. Although it will probably be available, I don't think this will be used much in ARMA3.

So 4 axes used at the moment:

YAW: Look left/right

PITCH: Look up/down

"X": Translate side to side for leaning.

"Z": Translate forward/back for zoom. (not used much but handy sometimes)

Edited by EDcase

But you cannot lean forward, or stretch up & down (crouching notwithstanding).

Sure you can. You just look down.

Sure you can. You just look down.

Yeah, I know you can "cheat" an incremental crouch by leaning your figure forward & simultaneously looking up, but that's not exactly what I'm talking about :) I'm talking about the unused Y axis translation of TrackIR as a control.

Just a side note to this, having ported A2 and OA into Take On, all the old helis now have 6Dof with TrackIR.

If a heli deosn't have a head movement set-up in the cfg it just uses what seems to be a default one.

So fingers crossed they keep this up with A3 and add it to all the other vehicles as well.

Just a side note to this, having ported A2 and OA into Take On, all the old helis now have 6Dof with TrackIR.

If a heli deosn't have a head movement set-up in the cfg it just uses what seems to be a default one.

So fingers crossed they keep this up with A3 and add it to all the other vehicles as well.

6DOF in an aircraft is one thing but in a vehicle? Being able to lean over and look out the view port of an APC would be awesome!!!

6DOF in an aircraft is one thing but in a vehicle? Being able to lean over and look out the view port of an APC would be awesome!!!

Imagine the possibilities with motorcycles, actually leaning properly to corner.

TrackIR needs to make some sort of knee tracker now, so we can get some proper leaning in there.

Imagine the possibilities with motorcycles, actually leaning properly to corner.

TrackIR needs to make some sort of knee tracker now, so we can get some proper leaning in there.

And the ability to detect arrows impacting said knees.

(lol i couldn't resist)

And the ability to detect arrows impacting said knees.

(lol i couldn't resist)

2nhj769.gif

I have a couple of such images in my bookmarks for emergencies :yay:

I have a couple of such images in my bookmarks for emergencies :yay:

One relevant GIF and follow-on comment STAT!

One relevant GIF and follow-on comment STAT!

I could but then the moderators will get angry and be all like:

facepalmzzzp11.gif

ONTOPIC: Since I don't use TrackIR it won't affect me in the slightest, but as far as I'm concerned, the more features the better.

Somehow I don't think there will be any change to the infantry, but I wouldn't be surprised if the vehicles (aircraft in particular) got full 6DoF.