Sign in to follow this  
cpl_hicks

Does anybody know how many DoF A3 will have?

Just curious how many degrees of freedom are in Arma2 and what it will be for Arma3....

Which means ?

I thought about this, but i am still not sure what he is talking about, in a plane you can go everywhere, but not as an infantry unit..? :confused:

Just curious how many degrees of freedom are in Arma2 and what it will be for Arma3....

Arma2 supports 6DOF in theory (all six axes can be mapped to something in the control settings), but in practise a unit's head only support 4DOF.

Take on Helicopters supports all 6DOF (though only while inside a heli), so there is hope that Arma3 will do the same. There has been no official word on this, however.

Arma2 supports 6DOF in theory (all six axes can be mapped to something in the control settings), but in practise a unit's head only support 4DOF.

Take on Helicopters supports all 6DOF (though only while inside a heli), so there is hope that Arma3 will do the same. There has been no official word on this, however.

So, as i found this on wikipedia :

First-person shooter (FPS) games generally provide five degrees of freedom: forwards/backwards, slide left/right, up/down (crouch/lie), yaw (turn left/right), and pitch (look up/down). If the game allows leaning control, then some consider it a sixth DoF; however, this may not be completely accurate, as a lean is a limited partial rotation.

Can we say that ArmA2 is a 6DOF FPS, as you can lean ?

So, as i found this on wikipedia :

Can we say that ArmA2 is a 6DOF FPS, as you can lean ?

But you cannot lean forward, or stretch up & down (crouching notwithstanding).

Ah, ok thanks :) (those smileys are ugly...)

I hope ArmA3 won't have any DoF unless you can use SSAO separately from it.

wat?

You know they're not talking about depth of field, right?

wat?

You know they're not talking about depth of field, right?

oh don't mind him, he's one of them "read thread tittle and post, without reading the contents of the thread" kind of person.

4 DOF while on foot is fine, but i think it might be like TOH and use 6 DOF when in a vehicle/aircraft.

though, having dynamic stance on foot would be sooo sweet.

6DOF you say:)

Ohh look, this is Proofâ„¢ that 6DOF head movement will be in Arma3.

Spread the word, people! :D

TrackIR, OpenGL, DX11, hi all conspiracy theories regards.

There we go, now we have ourselves a real thread going.

EDIT: omg future weapons ruined forever.

Anyway, any ideas on how the 6DoF control scheme would look like without TrackIR?

Anyway, any ideas on how the 6DoF control scheme would look like without TrackIR?

I can't imagine any non-headtracking 6DoF control scheme that's not a complete pain in the ass, aka more harm than good. 6DoF head movement is what headtracking is for.

Ultimately we would have something that is better than TrackIR. (Not that TrackIR is bad)

I am thinking VR goggles with at least 1920x1080 resolution and motion tracking allowing you to move your head freely while controlling the weapon with your mouse and your legs with the keyboard.

Or in the case of aircraft, your head / targeting systems with the tracker attached and jet/helicopter with the joystick, paddles and throttle.

Unfortunately there is no affordable (consumer grade) VR goggles that actually work yet. (AFAIK)

But the moment a company makes 1920x1080 goggles with tracking i will be on it in a jiffy.

And in the future we should be seeing better interfaces such as intercepting our brain activity and translating it into actual in game actions. We try and walk in real life (at the PC that is) but the game hijacks the signal and makes the avatar (solider) walk in game.

Yeah, one can wish. For now though, VR goggles and 6 DOF will have to do! :D

I only brought this up because I read that Rfactor has 15 degrees of freedom for cars.

I know its apples and oranges but I was just wondering in terms of land vehicles will there be a difference in dof from arma2 to 3.

How can you have 15 degrees of freedom? You can only move your head in 6 axes.

ARMA3 will have 6DoF in helicopters at least (the demo of TakeOnHelis that ran in ARMA2 did anyway)

Of course this means some form of head tracking will be required.

Edited by EDcase

Wth is 15 degrees? Do you move your head in different dimensions?

I'm no wizard at this, but I think it is down to the fact that in a (true) racing sim you can move your car as well as your head, combined with the fact that cars have a lot of components that make them move differently, ie. brakes, aero, suspension etc. I play racing sims (mostly rFactor), and I've noticed that here you (read: they) talk about a lot more DoF than in FPS games.

How many degrees of freedom does a real stock car have?

A real stock car has seventy two degrees of freedom. For every possible movement, two degrees of freedom are defined.

That's ridiculous. "Degrees of freedom" in any manly sense of the word means "where can you move your head which thereby moves your camera in game". You can move your head up/down, left/right, forward/back, roll, yaw and tilt. That's your 6. Anything more is pretentiousness. :) "move your car as well..." Hogwash I say! :yay:

When you sticked your head closer to the screen it zoomed in, right? That's what I remember when I used the TIR5 that I sold after some weeks... :D

This may not be related to the 6DOF things but I personally am interested a bit more in the fact that Smookie apparently was hired to the BI team because he has an understanding of animations, as his mod proved (assuming that LORD BUCHTA was so mercyful and did not banish him into the secret basement's beer production). Would be great to know if we can expect something in this direction - I'm talking about a new set of animations in A3 vanilla like shown in his mod (not about the beer ;) ).

Edited by Undeceived