Sign in to follow this  
Nicholas

US government breaks up with LightSquared

Hello everyone! Today, it was announced that the US government would not allow the LightSquared 4G LTE network to be built due to too much interference with GPS units. GPS is very important for navigation, and other uses, to many people around the world. I am happy with this news. Although LightSquared did purchase the spectrum, it just caused too much interference. I'm sure it can be used in some other ways.

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) said today that it will not approve LightSquared's proposal to build a national 4G-LTE network, after testing showed that the network would interfere with most existing GPS devices.

Full story can be read here.

Peace

Edited by Nicholas

Hi all

So the US will remain behind the rest of the world because it never insisted GPS manufacturers comply with the design code and shielded their products adequately. Not the first time the US has been 5 years behind even 3rd world countries on technology.

Still the rest of the world will go on without America yet again. More manufacturing will leave the US as a consequence and now jobs in the service sector and software will go too. If your competing against a foreign company that uses a 4G network to pass its data they will be faster and more efficient than you. If you are building Apps for a 4G network you can not make it in the US nor can you upgrade your existing App to 4G so either you move your business out of the US or your competitors take your market with a more advanced product.

It is this conservative retreatism that is destroying entrepreneurial business across America and is the cause of The Decline and Fall of the USA.

Sadly walker

It is this conservative retreatism that is destroying entrepreneurial business across America and is the cause of The Decline and Fall of the USA.

Yes, and NOTHING else right? God you're thick.

Yes, and NOTHING else right? God you're thick.

This isn't about Republican vs Democrat or Conservative vs Liberal, for the past decade the United States has been in a state of Conservative Retreat-ism and is the fault of both the Republicans and Democrats. You're mistaking Walkers post as purely political.

So i suppose we could say, [takes of glasses] your the thick one?

Back on topic: This sucks! i hate being so far behind the world when it comes to technology. I can't imagine what i could accomplish in 1 hour what most Europeans and Koreans can do in a matter of minutes. Uploading a 5min 1080 video to You Tube should not have to take me an hour. :(

Hi all

Trying to Conserve old fashioned existing entrenched market players at the cost of entrepreneurial spirit is the nature of conservatism; by any definition that is a retreat from technological and market advance; hense Conservative Retreatism.

In trying to hold on to what they have got all they do is hold everyone back and thus Conservatives have become the Communists.

It is a failure of the Free Market in America and a replacement of it with communistic bureaucracy and the lobbying of special interests of old fashioned and out of date business that leads inevitably to corruption and the source of America's Decline and Fall.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker
grammar

You're mistaking Walkers post as purely political.

Given his posting history, how could one not?

Hi all

With the emergence of 3G and 4G phones, systems that compete with the functionality of old Fashioned GPS products have emerged.

In the US all I can do is find a route on my GPS. In Europe my phone is better than my GPS at finding where I am and finding a route to where I want to go and all the info I need about where I am going, as well as what else I can see on the way, along with where my business coleagues, friends and family are, and what they are doing, and where they will be, so we can meet up.

Like much legislation created by entrenchend market players this is realy about preventing an open market existing, and newer cheaper more technologically advanced players from entering the market.

Conservative has become a dirty word for all that is wrong in the market.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker
grammar

In Europe my phone is better than my GPS at finding where I am and finding a route to where I want to go and all the info I need about where I am going, as well as what else I can see on the way, along with where my business coleagues, friends and family are, and what they are doing, and where they will be, so we can meet up.

Walker, your phone probably uses GPS. Although, your phone probably can also navigate using cell phone towers. The bad thing about navigating with cell phone towers is that you must always be in connection with at least 3 to get an accurate position. With GPS (Satellites) there are many satellites to connect to and it is free of charge, where navigation by cell tower is not free free and things such as trees may block the signal (Same for satellites).

Where I live, I can only connect to 1 or MAYBE 2 towers if I am lucky so GPS is important in the event that I would need navigation.

Edited by Nicholas

Hi all

In Reply to Nicholas; yes I agree America is terribly overcharged for its phone network services whether it be the dire "broadband" connections or the mobile facilities. In Europe all my internet traffic on a Pay as you go phone costs one UK Pound a day or for mothly contract ~10 to 15 pounds a month. My cell navigation on my tablet as well as my GPS is free.

The range of suppliers and products in the US is consierably lower than in Europe heck its lower than what you can get in grass hut villages in Africa. When I first got to the US I was shocked how bad it was.

Too many lobyists controling the markets through their pet representatives in Washington.

As I said let me repeat:

It is a failure of the Free Market in America and a replacement of it with communistic bureaucracy and the lobbying of special interests of old fashioned and out of date business that leads inevitably to corruption and the source of America's Decline and Fall.

Conservative just means too many bad things for business.

Kind regards walker

Walker, you are so off-base in this thread that I don't even know where to begin.

• There are no private GPS interests or "entrenched market players." GPS is a tax payer-funded, government-controlled system of navigational satellites that has been offered to the world for use free of charge.
  • 4G cellular networks are not a replacement for GPS; they are different technologies that serve different purposes.
  • 4G cellular networks already exist in the United States; only this particular one is being blocked for its interference with a very important public technology.
  • If your phone can tell you where you are within a few meters of accuracy, it is using GPS. If your phone is better at doing this than "your GPS" (which is really just a dedicated GPS receiver), then the GPS receiver that has been built into your phone is superior to the one that your dedicated GPS receiver uses (something that is not terribly uncommon with newer phones). Cell tower triangulation is not able to compete with the accuracy of a satellite navigation system.
  • "Communistic bureaucracy" is a contradiction in terms, and communism doesn't even relate to American conservatism.

It's very obvious that the government is doing this because GPS is used for guidance in their JDAM bombs; also 4G devices allow people to communicate and thus spread dissent. WAKE UP PEOPLE CAN'T YOU SEE THAT THEY ARE WARMONGERERS WHO TAKE AWAY OUR LIBERTIES TO SUPPORT THEIR MILITARISM????

Edited by RangerPL