Sign in to follow this  
kylania

Take On: Hinds!

TKOH is not civilian helicopter simulator like FSX or X-Plane. It is helicopter flight game...

I do think so!

As a game i'd like to play Heli in non military use. I take a tour around Seattle with the Hind but i didn't found any target to shhot at ;)

Guys, what did you expect for 12 (that is twelve!) bucks? Eagle dynamics sold the A10 as a full price game.

I havent any problem if DLC will be priced with more than + 8 euros (20 in total) and will have addon with all working systems, gauges, colimated gunsight, good campaigne, hardcore fm and all check list and weapons. Any problem to pay more with more queality and realism.

Well, I play Arma and DCS. Arma has the best terrain, outer vehicle models and AI, and DCS has the best aircraft and cockpits. But each sucks on the other end. I wish they would get together and have a kid. DCS:ARMA.

Now available on STEAM ... too :)

ED have aready become the EA of simulation game, selling bug fix and compatibility pack for the price of a full inde game doesn't float my boat. I also didn't brought Hind pack as well because I know it would very less likely to have proper avionic that I believed to be important for combat aircraft sim, but thats because I have done my research instead of being cheap and lazy. So, haters gonna hate. :p

ED have aready become the EA of simulation game, selling bug fix and compatibility pack for the price of a full inde game doesn't float my boat. I also didn't brought Hind pack as well because I know it would very less likely to have proper avionic that I believed to be important for combat aircraft sim, but thats because I have done my research instead of being cheap and lazy. So, haters gonna hate. :p

I have to say it is a tough one to call on ED's behaviour

I cannot decide if they are more like EA or Ubisoft by their retarded moves ......

prime example is BS2 - the quest for more money

They didn't advertise it at all , then BOOM , here we have a "new" game that just magically appeared

please give us $20 to pay for the same game you thought you already paid for ....... and all

the while we were waiting on a patch to fix all the bugs in the game we already had

So it get worse then I previously think they were?

Well there is always people who buy them anyway, not much that we can do about it except not buying. :p

I have to say the flight model feels excellent! I just love the way this beast handles! For me it overweights the obvious shortcomings on the HUD, and the non-functional RWR. It's just so much fun to fly this thing.

Big thank you for delivering such an excellent FM!

Now there is hope that you can fix the obvious problems with the FMs for the other helis ;)

Actually it is already. zGuba has modified the hind and added real HUD thingy in hinds, but said that he can't release anything, not until BIS releases offical MLOD pack for ArmA 2 which includes hinds too.

And If that HUD will be not fixed in I'll have to really reconsider about even buying the ToH Hinds.

Having spent all evening flying this I have to say it's nice. Rough and ready but nice. I kind of get people complaints but - the addition of what is demonstrated in this video would surely silence most people here - I think it would be wise for BI to look to it asap!

Then we could just get on and script some troop insertion, support and evac missions to complement all the tank killing :)

Couple of tips?

I have bound a button to "select all" squadmembers. I use this to target missiles - as the "tab" approach is not very good/ doesn't work so well with missiles. If you "select all" (which selects your gunner crewmember) - then look at the target direction, the cursor changes to "attack"/"target" and click "select" to give the order (which is the same as a left mouse click - I have that bound to my trigger). I then click fire and the missile goes on target to that vehicle.

Another tip - in the Hind with the 30mm fixed cannon - get the collective settled well back so that you aren't having to fight the torque with the pedals AS WELL AS get on target with your close in small adjustments you'll want to make. I use blips of cannon to get on target, then cycle weapon to the rocket pods once it's there. This is pretty surefire.

I really think this is a cool game. How many other flight sims could you potentially get out and finish the job on foot - or nick the enemies tanks - or order the team of solidiers that you insert etc? That's where I think the magic will be with this one. I'm happy to pay the money to have these flight models alone - and the intergration to a fully functional battle sim (bits of ARMA2) is just the icing on the cake. Keep improving!

Take care

p

i am really enjoying hinds. the more i play it the better it gets. the superhind is awesome.

Actually, regarding the Hud, from what I read, the red circle and cross is not the real hud, it's the "backup system", just a standard static projection if the on-board computer somehow stops to work. When everything is "on" you should see info like a real airplane hud. In any case, it should probably also be collimated.

Trying to get the hand on that beast ! I really enjoy the fly model except the pedal. To powerfull at hight speed I think. But i'm not pilot.

One thing that really annoy me is the Track IR bug... As usual. As you can see here i'm using the bug to land everywhere I want. I have to "up my head" and then the bug do the rest.. This way I have a better view on my land spot.

AUa-4Mdh3R8?hd=1

Actually, regarding the Hud, from what I read, the red circle and cross is not the real hud, it's the "backup system", just a standard static projection if the on-board computer somehow stops to work. When everything is "on" you should see info like a real airplane hud. In any case, it should probably also be collimated.

Yep - it should basically look a lot like this

@hon0: I'm not getting what is that Track IR bug all about... can you explain it little more for me please? thx

Hello,

Hind is nice, great helicopter(s), good military simulation, nice feeling of being up in the sky and counting on yours skills to stay alive there.

But would be also nice to know: did anybody manage to finish a challenge? And where did you learn to? It seems I'll never do it, not even a half. The wingman shoots when he wants (usually he doesn't shout at all - seems to be sleeping or having a spicy pizza with a large beer). Manual missiles fully locked on target fly somewhere around - the target remains there, alive and fully locked for the next missile to be launched around, in the air, until I get so close that I'm killed by enemy guns. The objectives change some times before you can act - run for a factory, but then suddenly the objective is a helicopter, but before you see it, the objective is announced to be terrestrial troops... until, finally, I'm down, shoot by some helicopters, or whatever - the radar wouldn't say. For sure, I have a lot to learn, but it still appears to be somehow chaotic and gives me no chances - I simply don't understand what is wrong (would it be a set of bugs?). I'm sure it is not intended here to have only a bunch of high class real military pilots to (eventually) finish a mission - finally, it's just a game, suitable for amateurs fun.

So: did anybody finish a mission? If yes, then: where did you learn what you have to do in order to do that?

Thanks,

Gabriel

---------- Post added at 21:52 ---------- Previous post was at 21:36 ----------

P.S. read "shoot", not "shout". I'm the only one who's shouting.... :) :) :)

---------- Post added at 22:48 ---------- Previous post was at 21:52 ----------

Well.... now I've got further with "expert":The wingman is totally out of the game, no matter the type of gun - sleep well! All weapons in Manual fire shoot all around, but not in targets, no matter of green square and circle. Finally, the enemy always shoot me down, nobody gives a shit on my guns, rokets, bombs or misiles carefully centered in green squares and circles (and maually shoot, of course - the wingman does not exist, only his eye glasses). Just wasted time. After some 20 hours of practicing and practicing, I start to be pretty sure that it's all about bugs and not finished product, not missing of my licence as a high class professional military pilot.

If you like the feeling of being in the air, just stay in the air and avoid any challenge - it's useless, just wasting time...

I'm an Arma player and for me it's business as usual. Some of the challenges are quite hard but they're all doable I think. I beat two Patrol missions yesterday and one Base Assault challenge this evening. Some Helicopters are more usefull than others. I prefer the ones with many rockets (S5 or S8 variants). For rockets I usually select manual fire. If you're up against a helicopter make sure you always fly at a higher altitude than the enemy helicopter and that your gunner can target that thing with his gun (especially if flying the Mil Mi-24P). You don't need many hits to bring them down but you can't take much either.

For guided missiles I would recommend you give your gunner the targets manually, don't use tab lock. You can reconfigure your controls to your liking but default you select your gunner with "F2", then press "2" (not numpad) and select your target with "2", "3", "4" etc., then fire the missile. Note that the AI doesn't seem to target static defenses with missiles (at least I didn't manage to get my gunner to target AAA defenses with missiles). Armored vehicles like APCs and tanks work fine.

I use the gun against infantry, static defenses and light armor, the rockets against armored vehicles and static defenses. I usually spare the missiles for real threads like T72s. Those beasts can be a pain in the *** and I would stay as far away from them as possible.

Cheers

PS: None of the challenges I played is bugged. Well, at least there are none that make the missions impossible to beat. I encountered only one minor bug:

You can find it on this screenshot:

takeonh2012-03-2413-5uicn2.jpg

Edited by Derbysieger

@gabriel22 - you just have to practice that's all. I have beaten the missions, but I can't do it every time - it depends on the Hind I am given. If it's the one with only a few rockets I have to go back and re-supply a few times. The gunner does hit the targets with missiles - you just have to keep the target centred - these are not Fire and Forget missiles - the gunner has to guide them to the target. Having said this, it's the rockets that seem to be the most useful, the AI does treat them rather like they cost nothing though!

At low speeds the Hind is not easy to fly - you really have to be co-ordinated on the pedals as the torque enduced yaw is pretty brutal.

Thanks, Jedra,

I shall further play a little bit, but I think I shall finally quit. Practicing is a must, but the "learning curve" is flat here: I don't learn anything, just watch the mysteries. You might have a different version of game. My wingman DOES NOT SHOOT. I had the missile locked on target for him even from some 1.5km or more, then I kept it locked in front of me until I bumped into the enemy base, and I did it 3 times from different altitudes and speeds: no result. The wingman does not act.

In manual mode, the missile remains locked on the same target after I shoot, like nothing happens there. Once or twice I used all 4 missiles on the same target - which finally remained centred and locked, even if I had no missiles anymore.

Rockets NEVER lock. High speed, low speed, high altitude or low, close or far, wingman or manual - they stay as a green square, green circle never appears.

Overall, I really believe they should issue a patch to make Hinds somehow more "playable".

By the way, do you know why I can find 2 times "Take on Hinds" in "Main Menu / Expansions"? Should I mark both of them? And what is "jre" in the same "Expansions"? Should I mark it too?

Thanks,

Gabriel

How about joining up for a MP training session? It seemed to work nicely for some after the release of TKOH and seemed good fun.

You cannot 'lock' rockets. Rockets are unguided (except for DAGRs). You can only tell your gunner to target an enemy vehicle (even with missiles btw). He will shoot at it as soon as you're lined up. Thats why I prefer manual fire for rockets. It means I am in full control of the weapons ;)

You have a maximum of 8 guided missiles (depending on the loadout). Technically you can't even lock the missiles because they're manually guided missiles. That means your gunner (wingman would be another helicopter) has to be able to see the target in order to hit it. If he loses sight of the target the missile won't hit. For missiles you need to order your gunner to fire by pressing the fire button (left mousbutton/trigger on your joystick...) each time you want to fire a missile. Your gunner will use guns and rockets once he can aim at the target (guns on Mi-24V and Mi-24 Mk.III) or the target is lined up (rockets with all three types, and guns and rockets with Mi-24P) unless you ordered him not to fire.

The cannon on the P variant also needs to be aimed at the target by the pilot. The V variants's cannon is easier to line up but the SuperHind has the most versatile gun.

I would say it comes down to practise. Use the editor to create your own small szenarios. Just place a Hind with yourself as the pilot and then a few enemy vehicles somewhere on the map. Simple as that. You don't need more than that to practice your gunruns etc.. You can add a waypoint at the enemy's location but that's not necassary. Once you're able to properly control the helicopter and keep the sights on target you can move on to the challenges which truly are challenges for unexperienced players and some even for experienced arma players like myself. Shooting down an enemy helicopter with the Mi-24P is really hard for example.

regarding the expansions menu:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?132715-Hinds-and-Expansions-Setting

€: Or even better a MP training session. Haven't thought of that.

Edited by Derbysieger

I would say it comes down to practise. Use the editor to create your own small szenarios. Just place a Hind with yourself as the pilot and then a few enemy vehicles somewhere on the map. Simple as that. You don't need more than that to practice your gunruns etc.. You can add a waypoint at the enemy's location but that's not necassary. Once you're able to properly control the helicopter and keep the sights on target you can move on to the challenges which truly are challenges for unexperienced players and some even for experienced arma players like myself. Shooting down an enemy helicopter with the Mi-24P is really hard for example.

I am enjoying HINDs a lot now. just what TKOH needed in many ways. but what i would like to see, and its based on what these guys above have mentioned, is training missions. to understand the systems, the weapons, etc. maybe not as pedantic as tkoh training, but really giving a good understanding of the hind, its systems and weapons.

I am enjoying HINDs a lot now. just what TKOH needed in many ways. but what i would like to see, and its based on what these guys above have mentioned, is training missions. to understand the systems, the weapons, etc. maybe not as pedantic as tkoh training, but really giving a good understanding of the hind, its systems and weapons.

That's actually a very good idea. Take On brings in new players that are not familiar with the UI and how weapons work. For longtime Arma players there is not much new in that regard but we all know that it is not that easy to get into BIS games.

I quite like the tutorials for the civilian helicopters and it would certainly help if there were tutorials for the Hind as well. One tutorial for each type of helicopter featuring different weapons (guns, rockets, missiles,bombs) from a pilot's perspective as well as from a gunner's perspective.

Thanks.

I've searched for "MP Training". What is "MP? I couldn't find on the forum or google. Is it special for "Hinds"?

G.