Sign in to follow this  
kylania

Take On: Hinds!

I got the email about the 25% discount, but see nothing regarding a refund, even though I also pre-ordered ToH. Where do you guys see something about a refund?

I got the email about the 25% discount, but see nothing regarding a refund, even though I also pre-ordered ToH. Where do you guys see something about a refund?

I got a mail from PayPal confirming that 25% (€3,25) had been refunded.

Uh-oh. Maybe something is screwed up with my PayPal account! :(

No, I checked and I paid directly to Sprocket. So PayPal is not the issue. Hmmm.

Thanks for the info, MadDog.

Edited by OMAC

Yeah, I got a refund as well. I had no problem paying the $16.99. If I had a problem paying $16.99, I wouldn't have bought it. :P

Thanks Bohemia Interactive!

Uh-oh. Maybe something is screwed up with my PayPal account! :(

No, I checked and I paid directly to Sprocket. So PayPal is not the issue. Hmmm.

Thanks for the info, MadDog.

Just drop them mail - they may be processng the refunds in batches. I'm sure if you got ToH from Sprocket they'll sort it out for you.

I'm a little confused with BIS new direction on the milsim market. I bought TOH and enjoyed it, but I expected a more detailed simulation of the helicopter's avionics and a more detailed damage model, more similar to DCS BS. Maybe not quite as detailed, but still. BIS greatest strength in my opinion, is their focus on the whole military experience. I'm talking about large-scale battles with a good mix of units on realistic maps that allow for tactical improvisation, adaptation and quick decisions. That is where BIS shines the most IMO.

Just saying. I would prob enjoy Hind though and will consider getting it. I'm just a little concerned that this new approach takes time away from the development of the Arma series.

It's different teams working on TKOH and ArmA3 so both products are moving along nicely. BIS also acquired two independent studios nearby their main offices which are the teams working on Carrier Mission Not ArmA But Still Neat Looking Mission or whatever the other game is. :) So there's not really any concern that any game isn't getting the resources it needs.

Also much of the things learned on TKOH might apply to ArmA3. So far the editor improvements in TKOH (other than the silly icons only thing) have been huge steps ahead of ArmA2 so I'm really excited to see how that combines with A3 design to make a truly great sim when A3 comes out. So I think we only have great things to look forward to rather than anything to worry about on the milsim side of BIS' products.

It's different teams working on TKOH and ArmA3 so both products are moving along nicely. BIS also acquired two independent studios nearby their main offices which are the teams working on Carrier Mission Not ArmA But Still Neat Looking Mission or whatever the other game is. :) So there's not really any concern that any game isn't getting the resources it needs.

Also much of the things learned on TKOH might apply to ArmA3. So far the editor improvements in TKOH (other than the silly icons only thing) have been huge steps ahead of ArmA2 so I'm really excited to see how that combines with A3 design to make a truly great sim when A3 comes out. So I think we only have great things to look forward to rather than anything to worry about on the milsim side of BIS' products.

That makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up.

Buy more ToH so the technology comes to arma 3!!!!!!!!!!!111!!111oneoneoneone

hi to all the community

I am a long time, combat flight simmer (falcon, DCS), and curious about "take on Hinds"

I just want to know, if FM and avionics will be accurate, because after reading some posts, i am a little worried.

I can see a great potential, if things are done in the good way.

Thx

You shouldn't expect avionics and weaponsystems as detailed as they're in DCS. TOH is all about the experience of flying a helicopter. With the latest Patch (1.03) and Community Patch 3 the light heli is a lot of fun. Sadly, the changes on the FM in the current Beta-Patches are not good overall. They increased sensitivity (which is good) but at the same time they reduced torque induced yaw so much that it is barely noticeable to make keyboard&mouse players happy. If they want to make TOH playable for kb&m on Expert they definately need to add a new difficulty setting or an option to enable/disable torque induced yaw.

TOH bundle is currently available from sprocket for 39.09€ (25% off; TAKEONBUNDLE15)

sprocketidea.com

Edited by Derbysieger

Thx for your answer Derbysieger

I don't expect the same level as DCS, but something between Lock-on and DCS.

It"s sad if FM are design for keyboard and mouse players, because the PC flght sim community use joy and hotas.

With TOH hind, i expect a great tactical combat flight simulator (because of the use of arma engine) but perhaps i am all wrong.

Time will tell.

I don't know about Lock-On (only have DCS: A-10C WH and I'm thinking about BS2) but DCS is a simulator whereas TOH is a simulation game. Just keep that in mind. The newest changes on the FM are only in beta, so I hope that BIS will do the right thing and provide an authentic FM.

On this channel you can find some really great videos of TOH:

www.youtube.com/user/hon0p/featured

And here are some of mine:

Good videos :)

Like you said DCS is a simulator, but something is missing in this serie, the fun,the replayability, the impression that you are in a war and fighting for something. In fact they made the simulator but they forget to do the game :)

With TOH we have the game and i hope the simulator aspect will not be forgotten.

It can be a true winner :)

Sorry, will not preorder until I see how the cockpit interaction is made (and which switches we can actually use) and what type of cockpits we get. I mean with glass cockpits or with analogue gauges only?

And why you guys release a military helicopter? Oh yeah, most people want to blow up stuff. The civilian possibilies were so huge in my eyes.

Edited by EagleEye[GER]

;2112438']most people want to blow up stuff.

Correct. So what exactly are you complaining about? BIS wants money + peeps want to blow shit up = Take On Hinds. Simple win-win.

Also it's a great way for them to add and test features that will be used in Arma3. Add a couple more wins in there.

Correct. So what exactly are you complaining about? BIS wants money + peeps want to blow shit up = Take On Hinds. Simple win-win.

Also it's a great way for them to add and test features that will be used in Arma3. Add a couple more wins in there.

Though, ToH in my eyes is a game about civilian helicopters with the seattle map for non-military actions(yes, there are military moments in the career..I hate it). I was in hope that this core would be fully developed instead of mindless shooting at things. There are so many combat sims out there and not a one were you can do things like firefighting, sling loading and so on. I do not have bought ToH as a testbed for A3! I much playing A2 and looking forward to A3, but ToH should be about something different. So, take my point and pls understand that I did`t like this progress.

It seems like the customer base for civilian only DLC is not (seen as) big enough.

Your personal preference is understandable, but how should BI put this into practice?

It is up to the community to expand that area, if they see potential and interest it.

Commercially it seems not viable to put more effort into it from my understanding.

The problem is that if you are not fighting, you need something else to do, or you'll get bored very quickly. That means lots of realistic avionics, and a realistic flight model. That's what you get in, for instance, X-plane, Microsoft Flight Simulator or similar, but not with the current state of BIS aircraft modelling.

It seems like the customer base for civilian only DLC is not (seen as) big enough.

Your personal preference is understandable, but how should BI put this into practice?

It is up to the community to expand that area, if they see potential and interest it.

Commercially it seems not viable to put more effort into it from my understanding.

That`s a pity. At the end ToH is a sandbox and the community have to fill it with live.

The problem is that if you are not fighting, you need something else to do, or you'll get bored very quickly. That means lots of realistic avionics, and a realistic flight model. That's what you get in, for instance, X-plane, Microsoft Flight Simulator or similar, but not with the current state of BIS aircraft modelling.

Yes, that could be the case. If they would implement i.E. a physics system to ground objects then it would be much more difficult and therfore more fun. Ah yes and that current flight model and aircraft modelling... Well, however unfortunately the target group seem`s not to be the civilian flight sim growd. When I see how many aircraft and stuff they sale for FSX and XPlane...

Some of my squadron mates own FSX, Arma and all these combat flight sims and no one of them bought ToH. Some of them are RL pilots and did`t liked the heli behaviors in the CommPreview. They are not confident of that ToH concept with its implementation. So no one of them will fly with me in the Hind, so pity...

Ok, enough whining from me. Maybe the Hind DLC will be a (financial) hit, time will tell.

It think there is still good potential in TOKH. However I see it more in the community rather coming from BI.

Not in a negative way speaking about BI - I think for them its just difficult to justify the effort they need to put into it.

Compared to other simulations the game was already low price and so far not "everybody" is used to pay good money for DLC.

On the positive side the DLC will also add tech that the civilian part will benefit from.

In terms of popularity and modding I think many people overestimate the amount of modders.

In the end there are only a few with lots of expertise and dedication in every key area.

TKOH and being a civilian chopper sim didn't attract as much from the Arma community.

Therefore to open it up to _also_ military content might be just the right thing to do.

We will see how it turns out. :)

The really important thing to make a good army simulator with air support is the comunication between the ground troops and the air team, also the IA must have the possibility of comunication using some code or lenguaje. This is the handycap of the DCS I thing.

THX

Unless this comes out as DLC for Arma2, I won't be buying it. I can't understand why they would make this separate from the real game. What am I supposed do with it? Carry out rocket attacks on Sky Scrapers? I'd like for arma flight sim to get at least to the level of Flaming Cliffs 2, but it doesn't look like its made it there yet. Flight Sim is the single most item that is lacking in Arma 2. I never fly in Arma. The tab through your targets thing is a real joke and totally turns off any flight sim enthusiast. The cockpit hud and instruments are basically unusable.

So BIS, give us a good, realistic, Mi-24 addon for Arma 2, and we'll buy it. TOH-Hinds is just not the way.

@Logan9773 - I suspect that producing this addon for ToH is a stepping stone to Arma 3. The technology in ToH is closer to Arma 3 than that which is in Arma 2. By releasing this in ToH they get to refine the process for building and implementing the models in Arma 3. I guess they are also looking at how the flight model works with a true military helicopter with the aim of reviewing whether to include the ToH flight model in Arma 3 (a decision about I believe has not yet been made).

The other aspect is as PvPscene mentioned, by introducing this into ToH it may draw in some of the modellers from Arma 2 into ToH. This is important as it would allow them to hit the ground running when producing community models for Arma3 - which will benefit all of us.

At the end of the day ToH is a test-bed for Arma 3 and enables BI to experiment with stuff before committing it to Arma 3. It doesn't bother me because I love playing Take On Helicopters and will gladly fly around in a Hind - if only to see what we may be getting in Arma 3. I do hope they add the ToH flight model to Arma 3 as an advanced option as then it would start to add the aspects of 'flight simulation' that people seem to miss in Arma 2.

The really important thing to make a good army simulator with air support is the comunication between the ground troops and the air team, also the IA must have the possibility of comunication using some code or lenguaje. This is the handycap of the DCS I thing.

THX

DCS will be fixing some of this in the future with pay-for addons. Add-ons and modules are the future!