Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: OA beta build 89223 (1.60 MP compatible build, post 1.60 release)

I tested the new driving today, and I think the look up/look down has to go. Even without TrackIR I don't have control over the car. Additonally I would prefer if the "look into the turn" feature would be more continious and didn't jump in so suddenly. Feels like a dead zone and I don't like dead zones at all ... :)

SMAA looks pretty good at PPAA_Level = 2 doesn't have any performance hit on my rig. So thanx for this.

I haven't definitively noticed the "look into the turn" feature yet. It must be rather subtle. I'll keep looking.....

I haven't definitively noticed the "look into the turn" feature yet. It must be rather subtle. I'll keep looking.....

I'd say it is everything but subtle when it "kicks" in ... just try to make a hard turn and you'll notice.

Did anyone else have the disappearing cursor on Veteran in the game / game started through editor with this and a few previous betas? The one you give orders with?

Did anyone else have the disappearing cursor on Veteran in the game / game started through editor with this and a few previous betas? The one you give orders with?

me too.

I'd say it is everything but subtle when it "kicks" in ... just try to make a hard turn and you'll notice.

Oh yeah! I just replayed PMC Transportation, and saw it big time, and I LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Big thumbs-up.

I looked am must be missing something. I do not see any improvements. Are there extra files I need in the Arma directory like what was used with FXAA in order to get PPAA to work?

Here is my .cfg file:

language="English";

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=93750;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Resolution_W=1920;

Resolution_H=1200;

refresh=60;

winX=16;

winY=32;

winW=800;

winH=600;

winDefW=800;

winDefH=600;

Render_W=1920;

Render_H=1200;

FSAA=0;

postFX=0;

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1000;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=3;

HDRPrecision=8;

lastDeviceId="";

localVRAM=1061601280;

nonlocalVRAM=2147483647;

vsync=1;

AToC=7;

PPAA=3;

PPAA_Level=3;

Windowed=0;

Edited by Wanderzz

I can confirm that SMAA High looks a LOT better than SMAA Ultra for some reason. Seems like something is broken there.

I gave the new mouse steering a go and I found it quite easy and intuitive. Mind you, I didn't really have any trouble with the old method either. Either way, I find the keyboard more useful for tight, low speed maneuvers.

I do not see much benefit from being allowed to look up and down while mouse steering, but it certainly didn't cause me any trouble either.

I do not see much benefit from being allowed to look up and down while mouse steering, but it certainly didn't cause me any trouble either.

It makes a difference in 3rd person view.

For the car camera up/down i personally would prefer if the camera went up/down when hitting the screen edges instead of how it is now.

Image:

Car_Camera.jpg

Now when our mouse hit the borders of like in image "current" the camera goes up/down. In the "desired" its at the screen edges instead which minimizes accidental camera movement. It happend way to many times during testing and when it does you go into the nearest tree. :)

I think this would make it better at least. Anyone else?

The new vehicle driving control still needs some polishing, I think (all tested on tracked M1A2 only so far). Please consider these points:

First, any direction input from the keyboard should override it. Now mouse and keyboard clashes with each other, when the mouse cursor haven't centered yet, and I want to turn sharply using keyboard in the other dir, the tank rocks left and right several times before responding to keyboard dir properly.

REPRO:

With tank stationary, move your mouse to the far right. It starts turning in the dir and the cursor starts centering. Before it centers, press and hold A (left dir) key. It bobs in place, stops turning, and what's worse, the cursor stops centering as long as you hold the opposite direction key. When you release the key, the cursor finally centers correctly, and the tank finishes the mouse turn.

Second, the cursor doesn't stay in one place (line, in ext.view). Thus it is very easy to lose track of it, making the feature hard to use ("point to where you wanna go). It should stay in one horizontal line so the player can see it always in the place he expects, not all over the screen depending on his up/down view. Your hands on the steering wheel in RL don't move up/down either) - IMHO it should be always in one line, either top or bottom or center, but be consistent.

Third, the mouse cursor turning seems broken in time accelerated mode (2x,4x). Especially in 4x the turning radius seems to be much lower, thus I can't turn more sharp turns using the mouse. And time accell is very useful for driving around any map in SP/Campaign. When just getting from e.g. Vybor to Elektro, it can be a very long boring drive without 2x time.

Will test further.

Edited by fraczek
REPRO added and cleaned a bit

I think this would make it better at least. Anyone else?

I think otherwise, so I guess it should be customizable ;)

Second, the cursor doesn't stay in one place (line, in ext.view). Thus it is very easy to lose track of it, making the feature hard to use ("point to where you wanna go). It should stay in one horizontal line so the player can see it always in the place he expects, not all over the screen depending on his up/down view. Your hands on the steering wheel in RL don't move up/down either) - IMHO it should be always in one line, either top or bottom or center, but be consistent.

I strongly disagree. The cursor doesn't represent "angle the steering wheel has been turned", but rather the place you want to drive to. IMO current solution is perfect, now just need to make QC cursor follow driving cursor when not in freelook mode.

Edited by zGuba

Driving is great as it is currently. Much more responsive and a pleasure to drive now.

After using the ATV for awhile in Domination, I have to say that the new steering and up/down camera movement feels kind of weird for this particular vehicle, specifically that your view moves up or down even when you are in first person. In third person I don't have a problem with this, and in fact enjoy it on things like the Ural which is hard to see past unless you raise the camera angle. But in first person on the ATV it's just really annoying. You will end up with your viewpoint up in the air or staring at the handle bars, and then crash because the overall steering sensitivity is kind of high. So I guess, in summation, here is my suggestion:

1) Make the steering a bit less sensitive for smaller, lighter vehicles.

2) Make the up/down camera movement while driving only available in third person view.

The new driving seems fine, but please remove the up / down option from the mouse steering or at least make it optional!

Cant count the number of times i suddently looked up against the ceiling in 1st person while taking a turn nearly slamming into something.

The rest of the driving fixes seems fine.

Cheers

Crusader

Ahhhh I now see what other drivers are talking about. I never drive in 1st person and when I tried there now, I see what you mean. However it WOULD be useful if driving up or down an incline.

In 3rd person view it is just great.

A lot of these issues are a matter of personal preferences :) While I dislike the driving cursor floating all over the screen, I can understand others might like it. No pleasing all, I guess ;)

However, on the issue of looking into turns, it works for me in the few vehicles I tried only when driving very very slowly - is that by purpose? Basically, it only works when starting to drive from a full stop, not even the slow drive forward key allows me to look into turns when I am up to its speed. Not talking about forward or fast forward, with those, I am never able to turn the mouse enough to the side to look into the turn.

Tested the new method, pretty good it is too. I think the third person look up/down ability is useful. I did notice the centering goes a bit whacky when the Driving Cursor is at the top or the bottom of it's range of vertical movement. Its like it over compensates and swings back past the centre to the opposite direction momentarily, if ya get get what I mean :).

I pretty much drive exclusively with keyboard, so this feature wont get much use from me. But, I am happy with how it does not affect keyboard control, the transition between mouse driving and keyboard driving is handled very well.

Ps, thanks for adding more PPAA support recently. :yay:

Edited by -=seany=-

However, on the issue of looking into turns, it works for me in the few vehicles I tried only when driving very very slowly - is that by purpose? Basically, it only works when starting to drive from a full stop, not even the slow drive forward key allows me to look into turns when I am up to its speed. Not talking about forward or fast forward, with those, I am never able to turn the mouse enough to the side to look into the turn.

This is exactly the case, and it is a good thing, that the look into turn only happens at very slow speeds. That is why is I hardly noticed the feature for quite a while. Excellent implementation.

I've tried and tried on many vehicles, including ATV, to find some issue with the mouse driving, including up/down look, and I can't find any. It does get squirrely steering the ATV after looking up and down in 1st person view, but that is what would be expected in RL, more or less. Slight disorientation after looking around is normal.

The issue is not disorientation regarding your surroundings when you look around, it's more about disorientation because of control loss with the user interface. This is not normal and should work less intrusive.

Looking back a couple of pages and seeing the various responses to how the current up/down look implementation can have negative effects on driving in (primarily) 1st person view, it's seems pretty obvious that there is still need to improve this otherwise great future a bit further. I am sure the next beta will give us a more refined implementation - be it via deadzone tweaking, a 1p/3p filter or by allowing to remove it altogether.

Not beta related but I noticed the camPrepareBank-command dosent work. It would be great to have possibility to create banked cameras for cutscenes without some massive extra work that setVectorUp would need (since you couldnt use the camera.sqs and easy smooth transition with that). I believe the camPrepareBank would be very handy for many mission makers offering improved more personal cinema (working setmimics would too). ;)

Made a ticket:

https://dev-heaven.net/issues/28674

Edited by SaOk

Custom Player Profile causing CTD's

Just solved my 20min CTD problem. Created a new player profile. The custom controller perameters and other things in the old one were causing CTD's with the latest patches. Glueing torn out hair back on lolz.

The Dslyecxi's ticket about making the ability to look up/down while driving optional, I find it very reasonable:

https://dev-heaven.net/issues/28632

Personally, I love the changes (for me it's very intuitive and OFP-nostalgic), but as we can see many players have various issues with that.

Ideally, the "camera deadzone" area would also be customizable, so player can decide if he wants zero deadzone or let the cursor roam the screen freely.

==

@PELHAM: Have You thrown the dump files at CIT to let BI prevent the CTD from occuring in the future?