Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: OA beta build 89223 (1.60 MP compatible build, post 1.60 release)

it's DirectX9 (HLSL 3) so all of the models are 1x (see source code), so what applies is quality presets

#if SMAA_PRESET_LOW == 1
#define SMAA_THRESHOLD 0.15
#define SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS 4
#define SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS_DIAG 0
#define SMAA_CORNER_ROUNDING 100
#elif SMAA_PRESET_MEDIUM == 1
#define SMAA_THRESHOLD 0.1
#define SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS 8
#define SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS_DIAG 0
#define SMAA_CORNER_ROUNDING 100
#elif SMAA_PRESET_HIGH == 1
#define SMAA_THRESHOLD 0.1
#define SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS 16
#define SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS_DIAG 8
#define SMAA_CORNER_ROUNDING 25
#elif SMAA_PRESET_ULTRA == 1
#define SMAA_THRESHOLD 0.05
#define SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS 32
#define SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS_DIAG 16
#define SMAA_CORNER_ROUNDING 25
#endif

the 2x, 4x modes etc. only DX10/11 where is

enum Mode { MODE_SMAA_1X, MODE_SMAA_T2X, MODE_SMAA_S2X, MODE_SMAA_4X };

see code difference between d3d9 and d3d10

Am I reading this correct? So for ARMA2 being a dx9 game it should be set at PPAA_Level= 0?

Am I reading this correct? So for ARMA2 being a dx9 game it should be set at PPAA_Level= 0?

No, it means the level is the "strange" of SMAA :

0 - SMAA_PRESET_LOW 
1 - SMAA_PRESET_MEDIUM 
2 - SMAA_PRESET_HIGH 
3 - SMAA_PRESET_ULTRA 

play with settings for your best results depending on FPS and look ...

SMAA in DX10/11 offers more modes and even more quality settings (all in all like additional dozen combinations)

in DX9 there is just 1x mode but four default levels of quality (low, medium, high, ultra)

I'm really not liking the new steering in vehicles. The "^" is an annoying distraction, but the automatic re-centering is really making it hard to steer. I understand this is meant to simulate the steering centering when you let the steering wheel slip after making a turn, but in the real world you choose when to do that. If you want to leave the re-centering in then there should be some way of choosing when the re-centering happens, like maybe a mouse click as an option to re-center. Otherwise please make an option to remove the re-centering effect entirely, including the mild re-centering effect that was always in the sim.

I find SMAA flickers intensely at long distance, PPAA=1 and PPAAlevel= 1 is really nice for me

The PPAA tech really brings out the best of ARMA. With "sharpen" setting it makes the game look so real. At least on my pc.

Performance wise its a success as well on my older pc (8800GTS).

The PPAA tech really brings out the best of ARMA. With "sharpen" setting it makes the game look so real. At least on my pc.

Performance wise its a success as well on my older pc (8800GTS).

not yet, we must fix that visual bug first ;)

note that FXAAsharp makes no effect with PPAA=3; as SMAA don't need filtering at all (it works differently than FXAA)

I was used to the sharpened FXAA appearance, and compared to that, the SMAA with this beta looks quite a lot smoother, but great overall (despite "visual bug"), and with better performance. With FSAA=2, AToC=7, PPAA=2, PPAA_Level=1, I get 1 fps less (43) on bench e08 than with the SMAA settings I mentioned. I'm sticking with SMAA for now, although I like how FXAA+sharp looks a little better:

FSAA=2, AToC=7, PPAA=2, PPAA_Level=1:

38ae34173989456.jpg

FSAA=2, AToC=7, PPAA=3, PPAA_Level=2:

96fb19173989452.jpg

Do I need to add these SMAA options to the config or should it already be in there? I installed the beta patch of course but I dont see the SMAA readme in expansions\beta as described in OP..

Yes... you need to add those.

You should check that instalation though, 3 readmes should be there along with executables.

Do I need to add these SMAA options to the config or should it already be in there? I installed the beta patch of course but I dont see the SMAA readme in expansions\beta as described in OP..

It is easier to delete ARMA2OA.cfg and launch beta.

New cfg will appear == profit

Cheers guys got it all working, havent played any ArmA in over a year.. looks great with SMAA + 150% res :)

Previously I used FXAA=1 and FXAASharp=0.

But now if I want to keep this, I need to change it to:

PPAA=1, PPAA_Level=0, FXAA=1 and FXAASharp=0.

Can someone confirm this?

Previously I used FXAA=1 and FXAASharp=0.

But now if I want to keep this, I need to change it to:

PPAA=1, PPAA_Level=0, FXAA=1 and FXAASharp=0.

Can someone confirm this?

No, there is NO MORE :

FXAA=0 WARNING this setting was removed in 1.61 beta as deprecated
FXAASharp=0 WARNING this setting was removed in 1.61 beta as deprecated

only via the the PPAA and PPAA_Level you adjust the settings of both the SMAA and FXAA Injection

I applaud the effort for setting up more efficient anti aliasing and I will certainly make use of it in the release version. After all, graphics goodness AND fps preservation is a win-win situation.

On the other hand, I fear that the approach "edit your .cfg file" approach is too geek-oriented, leading to a nice addition not being used, only by Arma configuration experts. Please consider putting in in-game UI options eventually.

I applaud the effort for setting up more efficient anti aliasing and I will certainly make use of it in the release version. After all, graphics goodness AND fps preservation is a win-win situation.

On the other hand, I fear that the approach "edit your .cfg file" approach is too geek-oriented, leading to a nice addition not being used, only by Arma configuration experts. Please consider putting in in-game UI options eventually.

As i said, just delete old cfg and launch beta.

New will appear with new strings.

No, there is NO MORE :

FXAA=0 WARNING this setting was removed in 1.61 beta as deprecated
FXAASharp=0 WARNING this setting was removed in 1.61 beta as deprecated

only via the the PPAA and PPAA_Level you adjust the settings of both the SMAA and FXAA Injection

Many thanks for the clarification

As i said, just delete old cfg and launch beta.

New will appear with new strings.

As he said, editing .cfg file is beyond the abilities and/or inclination of most mainstream gamers.

And the more gamers that play OA the better for us all :p

Edited by domokun

Yeah that is my point (and concern). It makes sense not to touch the UI while the thing is undergoing testing and being in beta and all. Hopefully, once the dust settles it will make its way into the UI of the game.

atm. it's highly unlikely to get these options into OA UI ... they in TOH and also planned for A3

atm. it's highly unlikely to get these options into OA UI ... they in TOH and also planned for A3

:yay: great to hear it will be in ARMA3 ! and by then we sure have FXAA 4.0 and maybe SMAA 3.0 :bounce3:

I wouldn't mind having object draw distance at least in a form of config string then

For a guy who plays @ 800x600/no AA/no AF (single-core A64, weak SM3 card), PPAA=3 and PPAA_Level=3 have significantly improved the visuals with negligible negative FPS impact. I like it!

This is kind of a long-term, possibly forgotten issue, but is there any chance of fixing player shadows being missing when in a vehicle (most noticeably a bike/motorcycle)? I feel like it used to work at some point in original ArmA2, but disappeared sometime. It's just kind of a really noticeable, goofy-looking bug.