Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: OA beta build 89223 (1.60 MP compatible build, post 1.60 release)

yes but you can keep them, they used in full 1.60 for now and inert don't matter

Dunno, but i´m pretty sure, that the Image Quality with injected SMAA was alot better than now (with the implemented Method). :confused:

please provide screen compare

use same level of quality when comparing (we use same setting)

I have general FPS issues.

With current beta my FPS was effectively halved compared to 1.60 (HF1), e.g. on Chernarus. No matter if I turn FXAA/SMAA on or off. :(

E.g if I start the scenario Village Sweep with 1.60 pure (or HF1 for that matter), I get 33 FPS, when I start the same mission with PPAA=0, no other settings changed, I get 17 FPS, same starting view.

I have general FPS issues.

With current beta my FPS was effectively halved compared to 1.60 (HF1), e.g. on Chernarus. No matter if I turn FXAA/SMAA on or off. :(

E.g if I start the scenario Village Sweep with 1.60 pure (or HF1 for that matter), I get 33 FPS, when I start the same mission with PPAA=0, no other settings changed, I get 17 FPS, same starting view.

what GPU, what driver build?

+ anyone else has drastic FPS decrease with new build?

Dwarden and co:

Thank you for adding SMAA to the list of options. I really appreciate the work it has taken for you and other Devs to get this into the game. I play games like A2 and X-Plane because the creators are open to opinion and make stuff like this happen (if in the best interest of the core engine).

I would like to ask that you make them easy to access for everyone though. I'm okay playing about with the arma2(OA).cfg file, but it will put a lot of newcomers off. I guess that you all know accessability is key for your next title, so as much as I would like to see AI improvements etc, please make it a priority so that inexperienced users can get access to the full range of cool shit that you all have spent so much time developing.

Using FSAA=2, AToC=7, PPAA=3, PPAA_Level=2 I get awesome performance (41+ FPS @ start Village Sweep, 44 fps bench e08, see sig.), and very high quality smoothing. :D After using FXAASharp, everything looks very smooth now. Is it possible to implement some sharpening with SMAA in the future?

I really like the ability to look up/down when driving with mouse. Works great! Especially cool with motorcycle. :)

Edited by OMAC

i tested the new look up/down with trackir, and its a no go. you really getting confused when you look around and suddenly

you look up or down. the "look into turns" is overwriten, so it dont effect trackir, but up/down is not overwritten.

please make it optional with up down, or let trackir overwrite all look funktion in vehicle !! its really confusing.

https://dev-heaven.net/issues/28541

also for me the performence is lower with new build (gtx580 / 295.51) and nothing on from the new settings.

Using FSAA=2, AToC=7, PPAA=3, PPAA_Level=2 I get awesome performance (41+ FPS @ start Village Sweep, 44 fps bench e08, see sig.), and very high quality smoothing. :D After using FXAASharp, everything looks very smooth now. Is it possible to implement some sharpening with SMAA in the future?

I really like the ability to look up/down when driving with mouse. Works great! Especially cool with motorcycle. :)

note that FXAAsharp makes no effect with PPAA=3; as SMAA don't need filtering at all (it works differently than FXAA)

Part of it is in the signature.

AMD Radeon HD 6950, Catalyst 12.1

Tbh, what worth is that info if 1.60 runs double as fast? How could performance reduction in later builds, without PPAA, be driver specific, when the only thing I'm changing is the build?

Tbh, what worth is that info if 1.60 runs double as fast? How could performance reduction in later builds, without PPAA, be driver specific, when the only thing I'm changing is the build?

I could reply in the same spirit: how could a build difference make performance go down to 1/2 without PPAA, when the only changes were vehicle steering and adding SMAA?

---------- Post added at 09:30 ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 ----------

i tested the new look up/down with trackir, and its a no go. you really getting confused when you look around and suddenly

you look up or down. the "look into turns" is overwriten, so it dont effect trackir, but up/down is not overwritten.

Is this with or without the cursor visible? I find it hard to believe one could move a visible cursor too much up/down accidentally - I tried and never achieved this. Even without thinking about it I subconsciousness keep the cursor in the middle of the screen.

SMAA alone doesn't really do it for me, even on maximum. The edges on large objects look wonderfully smooth, but lots of finer details still cause a kind of flickering artifact that isn't present with FSAA on very high.

Same here for me.

I've tried both FSAA and SMAA at various settings but plain old FSAA at high works best for me. I had a couple of more FPS using SMAA at ultra but prefer the IQ I get with FSAA so I stick with that. This is on an old GTX260 with 191.07 WHQL driver so maybe things are different on newer cards...

/KC

Anecdotal at best I'm afraid. Ran Benchmarks 4-5 times. Each time 1.60 came out ahead by 1-5 FPS. Hardly drastic on my end. It may be placebo, but 1.60 feels smoother. Particularly when running ACE and/or in heavily urbanized missions. (which of course isn't your problem)

AMD Quadcore

Six gig ram (another six are sitting on top of my pc)

Nvidia 560: driver 295.51

No PP, AA, etc

-k

Is this with or without the cursor visible? I find it hard to believe one could move a visible cursor too much up/down accidentally - I tried and never achieved this. Even without thinking about it I subconsciousness keep the cursor in the middle of the screen.

without cursor. (we don´t play with hud or crosshair ;) ) if you have no reverence "where you are" with your mousepointer than its gets confusing. the look up/down movement is also suddenly very fast.

and if you are with the mouse for example looking down by accident, and than look also with trackir, than the view jumps around like hell.

if it is possible to do a shortcut for trackir users to disable the "look" for example "-alt- -shift- -T-" that would be the perfect solution.

and also a point is , when you have the mousemovment relativly fast like me, you are getting in these lookup down zones pretty easy,

otherwise i like the patches. thx for the hard work.

Did a little testing today with the new SMAA.

Here are the Screenshots :

nxxtlhko1mxx.png

hkn66blrk9n.png

z6ifat9759z4.png

l1g2scqkz.png

Did a little testing today with the new SMAA.

Here are the Screenshots :

Same here.

Seems like integrated SMAA is much worse than SMAA Injector.

SMAA_PRESET_ULTRA on Smaa injector and in-game SMAA works completely different. SMAA Injector wins in all aspects.

Probably wrong SMAA implementation?

Some objects are not even processed and i can clearly see "ladders".

What strange is that SMAA_PRESET_HIGH works much better than ULTRA. Smells like bug.

From what I could tell while testing yesterday, the ingame SMAA implementation seems to lack subpixel information, making it look more like FXAA. (And yes, I was using PPAA=3 and PPAA_Level=3.)

Please disable this on default

[89205] New: Player can look up/down using a mouse while driving land/water vehicles.

Driving on veteran, no HUD markers/crosshair on, with mouse + keyboard now:

- makes driving/steering and looking with mouse/keyboard uncomfortable

- noticeable stuck in view

Better leave look up/down to a key combo eg ALT + <key> :)

Thanks for small fps increase (FSAA=1, postFX=0, ATOC=0, PPAA=3, PPAA_Level=1).

From what I could tell while testing yesterday, the ingame SMAA implementation seems to lack subpixel information, making it look more like FXAA. (And yes, I was using PPAA=3 and PPAA_Level=3.)

Looks worse than FXAA for me. Some objects look like there is no AA

Exactly , as seen in my BLACKARMA Injection the SMAA_PIXEL_SIZE is correct ...in BIS SMAA there seems to be something wrong ...

SMAA_PIXEL_SIZE is automatically used by engine from active 3D resolution settings (so if You use 200% it uses that resolution correctly)

dont seem so Dwarden ....

what we need is EXACT screens comparing

SMAA low injector vs SMAA low ingame

SMAA medium injector vs SMAA medium ingame

SMAA high injector vs SMAA high ingame

SMAA ultra injector vs SMAA ultra ingame

(for everyone's sake use some some good picture hosting site like www.imgur.com

(not full of ads and pop-ups where even noscript gets heart-attack) )

+ then i need to know what injector was used

+ what version of SMAA it uses (we use latest 2.7 released recently)

+ what's exactly Your video settings (ideally screen of your advanced video settings)

also please realize we should be using full 3D resolution

(checked with coder, should be taken directly from engine's internal values (actual one, not some config so it respect even windowed mode))

(not your actual 3D on screen, but e.g. if you have 1024x768 monitor and use 200% 3D

then SMAA_PIXEL_SIZE float2(1.0 / width, 1.0 / height)

resulting SMAA_PIXEL_SIZE float2(1.0 / 2048.0, 1.0 / 1536.0)

Edited by Dwarden

what i need is EXACT screens comparing

SMAA low injector vs SMAA low ingame

SMAA medium injector vs SMAA medium ingame

SMAA high injector vs SMAA high ingame

SMAA ultra injector vs SMAA ultra ingame

(for everyone's sake use some some good picture hosting site (not full of ads and popus where even noscript gets hearattack) like www.imgur.com )

then i need to know what injector was used and what version of SMAA it uses (we use latest 2.7 released recently)

also please realize we should be using full 3D resolution

(checked with coder, should be taken directly from engine's internal values (actual one, not some config so it respect even windowed mode))

(not your actual 3D on screen, but e.g. if you have 1024x768 monitor and use 200% 3D then the pixel

Here you get my Screens on my Site without Adds etc : http://blackarms.de/smaa-comparison/

# BIS_SMAA Screen is ULTRA , BLACKARMA Injection is custom but near your ULTRA setting

I use also SMAA 2.7 with custom SMAA.FX File and SMAA Settings .... made several changes to the calculating because the ARMA2 Engine is different from other games in DX9.

Floating Point seems to be not correctly calculated

my rig :

ASUS G74 with Nvidia GTX460M 1,5GB with latest Nvidia Beta Driver 295.51 / 1920x1080 / all high ingame, AA off , After Effects low.

EDIT : if you need more Screens just tell me what you need (special location etc (as you know some objects are a pain in the ass on FXAA / like powerlines / in SMAA with my injection i get now a better result then on my A2FXAA injection http://a2fxaa.blogspot.com/2011/08/i-hate-powerlines.html

Edited by EOOQE

about the SMAA quality problem, we may know what's wrong now,

(at least if the screens of Yours are from 3D != 100%)

thanks

made several changes to the calculating because the ARMA2 Engine is different from other games in DX9

care share? just curious

better result then on my A2FXAA injection

speaking of which, how fare your FXAA injection (w/o sharperfilter compare only) vs our FXAA ?