Sign in to follow this  
JuggernautOfWar

1.60 fxaa

In 1.60 it says there is a new FXAA mode implemented. I do not see this anywhere. The options are the exact same I'm used to seeing.

Thank you. Are there any comparison pictures? Especially of the Sharp setting? I honestly have no idea what it actually does and how much performance is hit.

Performance is hit very little and the sharp setting is quite noticeable. If you've ever used photoshop it looks sort of like the unsharp mask filter.

The sharp setting is quite noticeable, though the FXAA setting itself isn't very noticeable at all. Doesn't even look like AA is on at all when set to 17(39).

I think it's supposed to compliment another anti aliasing method, but I am no expert. At least, that was my assumption after I tried it and found that it didn't seem to do much on its own.

edit: here is a white paper explaining what it does. It seems like the its capabilities in this paper and what I'm seeing are two different things. Perhaps my graphics card isn't handling it properly. Who knows.

http://www.ngohq.com/images/articles/fxaa/FXAA_WhitePaper.pdf

Edited by Max Power

The sharp setting is quite noticeable, though the FXAA setting itself isn't very noticeable at all. Doesn't even look like AA is on at all when set to 17(39).

There is a difference, but it's subtle. Best thing to do is look at things like power lines and you will see the smoothing effect there. It also depends on your monitor resolution. At 2560x1600 the changes are extremely subtle. On my client with lower res (can't remember what res it is), the effect is more noticeable.

I've tried to change my CFG ArmA OA profile, here the differences:

Without FXAA

http://www.bitevox.com/di-USGU.jpg

FXAA set to "17"

http://www.bitevox.com/di-WAUZ.jpg

Benchmark 1 (Takistan): 58 FPS

Texture: High

Memory: Default

Anisotropic Filter: Disabled

Antialiasing: Disabled

Terrein: High

Object: High

Shadow: High

HDR: High

PostProcess: Disabled

VSync: Enabled

Resolution: 1920x1080

3D Resolution: 1920x1080

FXAA: 0

Benchmark 2 (Takistan): 51 FPS

Texture: High

Memory: Default

Anisotropic Filter: Disabled

Antialiasing: Disabled

Terrein: High

Object: High

Shadow: High

HDR: High

PostProcess: Disabled

VSync: Enabled

Resolution: 1920x1080

3D Resolution: 1920x1080

FXAA: 17

Aw jeez. Now in the most recent beta patch we have SMAA introduced as well. Looks like we have even more stuff to fiddle with now!

Will fxaa be added to Arma 2?

no, OA engine and newer, please consider update to newest engine

no, OA engine and newer, please consider update to newest engine

I already have combined ops and reinforcements i just like to go back to arma 2 mp sometimes is there an fxaa injector i can use?

Now there's a new SMAA option with the new beta patch. How is this different and when/how should it be used?

FXAA Sharpness doesn't show in my OA cfg, but I have the FXAA option (0-17 bit). Am I looking in the wrong place for the Sharpness option or do I have a dodgy 1.60 patch install?

FXAA Sharpness doesn't show in my OA cfg, but I have the FXAA option (0-17 bit). Am I looking in the wrong place for the Sharpness option or do I have a dodgy 1.60 patch install?

If it is not at the bottom add it

here is my ArmA2OA.cfg

language="English";
adapter=-1;
3D_Performance=100000;
Resolution_Bpp=32;
Resolution_W=1360;
Resolution_H=768;
refresh=60;
winX=162;
winY=44;
winW=800;
winH=600;
winDefW=800;
winDefH=600;
Render_W=1280;
Render_H=900;
FSAA=0;
postFX=0;
GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;
GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1;
HDRPrecision=8;
lastDeviceId="";
localVRAM=1041825792;
nonlocalVRAM=2147483647;
Windowed=0;
vsync=0;
AToC=0;
sceneComplexity=110000;
PPAA=1;
PPAA_Level=1;
FXAA=12;
FXAASharp=0;
class ModLauncherList
{
class Mod1
{
	dir="baf";
	name="Arma 2: British Armed Forces";
	origin="GAME DIR";
	fullPath="C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\baf";
};
class Mod2
{
	dir="pmc";
	name="Arma 2: Private Military Company";
	origin="GAME DIR";
	fullPath="C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\pmc";
};
class Mod3
{
	dir="CA";
	name="Arma 2";
	origin="REGISTRY";
	fullPath="C:\Program files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2";
};
class Mod4
{
	dir="Expansion";
	name="Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead";
	origin="REGISTRY";
	fullPath="C:\Program files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\Expansion";
};
class Mod5
{
	dir="@CBA";
	name="";
	origin="GAME DIR";
	fullPath="C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\@CBA";
};
class Mod6
{
	dir="@I44";
	name="Invasion 1944";
	origin="GAME DIR";
	fullPath="C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\@I44";
};
};

add FXAA = 12; (replace 12 with a number 0-40, 0 = disabled) and FXAASharp = 0; (same as before, replace with a number you like; 0 - 6, 0 = disabled) to your ArmA2OA.cfg

Thanks guys. I'm not running the beta which explains why I can't see the Sharp feature :o

there is BIKI with detailed info about these settings and include all the URL to know-more-about:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/arma2.cfg#ARMA_2:_Operation_Arrowhead

Dwarden,

This is off topic but concerns shaders and the control method this particular addition uses.

TL;DR please add shader control variables for blur and bloom in arma2.cfg similar to how the new shader additions are controlled.

Lately many options for shaders have been added to arma2.cfg, similar to as was suggested 2+ years ago by many people, in tickets and forum threads, to address the individual blur and bloom shaders. The complaints started as soon as the game came out and added the smear when you turn feature. It was addressed by top devs a few times but nothing was ever done about it, a whole expansion later, still here we are.

The only thing that was done once was the addition of a 'very low' PP gui setting, which didn't address the issue, since most enjoy the higher shaders. Very low turns most of them off.

You don't have to make GUI options, anything is better than nothing. Hell we the community can make a little graphic tweaker app for the cfg if one doesn't already exist. But PLEASE, the level of shader control is far too course, and remains so after endless requests. The RV engines current shader loading programming is not made for community shader modifications either, it was never meant to be edited by anyone but those at BIS, since the whole game config.bin needs to go with it. Do not cite technical limitations, because I've spent man-weeks reversing how it works to make a very less than ideal 'hack' mod to remove some which has to be updated every single beta.

In the end, the game does not offer any ideal way to disable the 'highly political' shaders like blur and bloom, as you do with these nice new ones.

Thank you

I love almost all PP in every game, but the Bloom in Arma2 and Arrowhead does my head in. The glowing ground and sand etc is getting very old. I don't see a reason why we cant have a Bloom control in the .cfg that has at an Off, Medium and Heavy option for Bloom amount.

2a9tgeb.jpg

^ Left pic is PP Very Low, Right pic is PP Normal (what I want to use). The pic on the right has absolutely no basis in reality. I mean, an enemy could be literally hiding on the road in the cover of bloom it is so out of control. To get a proper look at the road I would have to move the "camera" about to temporarily cause the bloom exposure to ease. Or turn PP to Very Low. It is just frustrating, and happens all over Arrowheads' terrain. But...bloom is actually a nice effect (as are the other PP affects you have to loose if you put PP to a setting where bloom is off). We just need it at a manageable level or give us more control over it...Please!

Things that are bright/white obviously are more susceptible to blooming. Makes me ask, why is there such high contrast on the roads etc? They are almost white, when you add bloom it just looks stupid imo. This is probably making bloom seem worse too.

Edited by -=seany=-

That bloom will make you need glasses if you play with it too much.

"because I've spent man-weeks reversing how it works to make a very less than ideal 'hack' mod to remove some which has to be updated every single beta."

....and it is one of the best mods out there. This really needs to be done. Hopefully future updates will allow more control over Bloom/Blur