Sign in to follow this  
AlexVestin

3RD-person viewed character weapon proxys?

Can the engine handle all weapons carried being rendered with the help of proxys or the like when they're holstered?

It's not a big detail, but it might be a great visual helper. It's only natural to be able to see what's being carried, by you and friendlies, that's at your disposal.

Now in ArmA2 you can't for example have a backpack and a AT-launcher visible at the same time as you carry your rifle (ACE). Not sure if they're there as proxys now, but there sure isn't enough 'slots' for displayed items.

I'm thinking correct sidearm in holster, door-breacher on your thigh, marksman rifle on your back, rifle slinged over shoulder, AT strapped to the backpack. Lot's of places to carry stuff. If it were possible you'd just have to add that extra proxy when you're modelling.

I don't really understand. IIRC you can see all weapons (rifles or launchers) you have, apart from the pistol. And you can't carry all the things you say because it isn't realistic.

I don't really understand. IIRC you can see all weapons (rifles or launchers) you have, apart from the pistol. And you can't carry all the things you say because it isn't realistic.

How is carrying several weapons not realistic? Of course someone can carry a backpack, AT launcher, and rifle at the same time. You can carry as many rifles/weapons as you wish.

How is carrying several weapons not realistic? Of course someone can carry a backpack, AT launcher, and rifle at the same time. You can carry as many rifles/weapons as you wish.

Read the post. You can carry a backpack, an AT and a rifle, but not another rifle.

Read the post. You can carry a backpack, an AT and a rifle, but not another rifle.

Ummm...you can easily carry two rifles...lol I don't see how carrying 2 rifles + backpack + AT launcher would be "unrealistic".

Ummm...you can easily carry two rifles...lol I don't see how carrying 2 rifles + backpack + AT launcher would be "unrealistic".

For a Donkey, that's ok. In this game, you can't because it is too much. That's not really hard to understand.

Of course the military wouldn't actually let their soldiers carry around an AT launcher, 2 rifles, 1 pistol, and a backpack. But a civillian could of course carry that.....

Have you actually ever tried carrying multiple guns? It's not that hard. Realistically, their is no limitation on how many guns you can carry besides your physical abilities. Or what limitations the military would place.

Realistically, their is no limitation on how many guns you can carry besides your physical abilities

This.

This.

Exactly......it's not "unrealistic" for someone to carry 2 guns, AT launcher and backpack. That's what I was getting at....

Exactly......it's not "unrealistic" for someone to carry 2 guns, AT launcher and backpack. That's what I was getting at....

It isn't unrealistic to carry a wardrobe, i did it last week end. But i won't walk twenty km and fight with it on my back.

It isn't unrealistic to carry a wardrobe, i did it last week end. But i won't walk twenty km and fight with it on my back.

Which is why Bohemia Interactive could implement a weight system like ACE currently uses....lol

http://www.flickr.com/photos/world_armies/5436037287/

There are many other pictures. Backpack with the LAW over the top... who says a rifle isn't broken down within that backpack either? :D

But agreed. I wish you could actually SEE the things you have on your person on the model itself, i.e. the pistol you are using in the holster, and when you take it out it is not in the holster.

That's personal preference. :cool: If some want to and it ticks your boxes then why inhibit it?

Edited by Rye

it's not "unrealistic" for someone to carry 2 guns, AT launcher and backpack.

That would be a very rare event, perhaps possible if carrying a wounded comrades weapon but it's an extremely unlikely scenario.

That would be a very rare event, perhaps possible if carrying a wounded comrades weapon but it's an extremely unlikely scenario.

Previous post

Realistically, their is no limitation on how many guns you can carry besides your physical abilities. Or what limitations the military would place.

Are you guys asking for animations of troops carrying rifles one handed?

Not really a discussion about realism over how much you could carry.

I'm not saying it it would be nice to carry around the entire army's arsenal at the same time, just more spots for weapons that you're actually carrying to 'rest'. Working pistol holsters has been missing for a long time now.

AND it is possible to have one rifle, one AT and one backpack at the same time, sure, but to have that, you're just using a soldier model with a backpack already on. Not a backpack you can select yourself. Therefore one proxy less was needed for that to work. Currently with ACE, the equipable backpacks they take up an extra inventory weapon slot, so it's either the AT-launcher or the backpack visible. Even if you're carrying both.

Now when I think about it. There should be one proxy more on the head too. If I use a addon wich adds soldiers with seperate helmets that you can equip in your character user menu, these helmets get overrided when you turn on your NVGs. So then ingame your character viewed from a 3rd person perspective will loose his helmet, as it get's replaced, and get's a flying NVG on his head instead. So NVGs could also benefit from having their own proxy that's always rendered on your helmet or on headstraps if you're carrying NVGs.

Edited by AlexVestin

Are you guys asking for animations of troops carrying rifles one handed?

You can with the 'carry' animation. :pistols:

You can with the 'carry' animation. :pistols:

OK thanks, I haven't seen this before.

AND it is possible to have one rifle, one AT and one backpack at the same time, sure, but to have that, you're just using a soldier model with a backpack already on. Not a backpack you can select yourself. Therefore one proxy less was needed for that to work. Currently with ACE, the equipable backpacks they take up an extra inventory weapon slot, so it's either the AT-launcher or the backpack visible. Even if you're carrying both.

If you're not happy with ACE, please report it in the ACE topic. In vanilla ArmA2OA, so in ArmA3 probably, you can carry a backpack AND a launcher :

arma2oa.jpg

I guess each item could have an "encumbrance" property, a number that represents weight, size & difficulty to handle. More encumbrance = slower & noisier movement, and all items capable of carrying other items (vehicles, ammo crates etc) have an encumbrance limit.

I think in general an encumbrance property would be a good addition to ArmA.

Just one value would be OK IMO, no need to get needlessly complex :)

Hmmm, look at the new screens. I know at least two Iranians are carrying their rifles one-handed in the first of the new pics. I wish we could do all that (carry two rifles and an AT weapon), but I'd be satisfied if we could simply add a rifle, or shotgun, or at launcher, in that second slot. Turn the AT slot into a generic secondary slot, so that you could have the option of carrying two rifles at once. That'd seem like the best solution. And then there's no argument over what's too much to carry. Oh, and I'll post this in the wishes-no discussion thread later today.

Edited by antoineflemming

I wish we could see not only the pistol and the other rifle that you are carring but ammunition, granades and equipaments in general.

CSS, Hidden and Dangerous, Rainbow Six and others have this....

And, instead of slots, weight and volume.

Hmmm, look at the new screens. I know at least two Iranians are doing that in the first of the new pics. I wish we could do all that (carry two rifles and an AT weapon), but I'd be satisfied if we could simply add a rifle, or shotgun, or at launcher, in that second slot. Turn the AT slot into a generic secondary slot, so that you could have the option of carrying two rifles at once. That'd seem like the best solution. And then there's no argument over what's too much to carry. Oh, and I'll post this in the wishes-no discussion thread later today.

This + the weight system will give us a good compromise.

+ limiting capacity + endurance to players BMI (= reducing the one-man-army shockforce appearance ingame) :tounge_o:

Hi, will be great to be able of see who's carrying what so you could choose better which target is more important; the number of things that you can carry IRL is bigger than in most if not all the games, IRL... is common to see people with two LAW-72 on the back, the combat backpack, the AR+GL and a belt with 26 M433 nades, aside the smoke hand nades and the frag nades, usually a couple of this ones... IRL there isn't any "one man's army" guy but in certain games would be possible. Is up to the player how he/she uses the tools at it's disposal and you can only fire a weapon at once. I think that would be great to see all the tools and food that a man/woman have's, being the tools his/her weapons and the food the ammo. Let's C ya