Sign in to follow this  
Gameqb11

Question about A.I....

I set up a quick "get to destination" my mission game in takistan, going from one point to the other. What i noticed though is at the first outpost, when the opfor notices me, they seem to just stand there firing back. After i return a few shots they may go prone and cawl around a bit, but they basically stay in the same area trading shots. I kind of expexted them to run for cover, start hiding and trying to flank me or otherwise. Im playing on Vet difficulty.

My question- Is this normal tactically sound AI behavior? or is there something wrong with my game? I have the latest 1.6 patch and toggle asr A.I on and off, same results.

The only reason why i may think it may be normal is because, honestly, sometimes i am guilty of the same behavior. Ill just return fire instead of going through elaborate maneuvers to find cover and flank. I would love to see the AI be a bit more protective of its life though

The thing is, individual men only take cover in the context of their unit's formation. That means they aren't going to find cover and stay in it if the unit is moving because they need to stay in formation. Also, it limits the distance they will travel to get to it. You can't have half the men in the unit sprinting away from their position to get to some houses 50m away. That requires orders being given by the team leader, and that sort of proactive self-preservation isn't coded into the default behavior of the AI. I think some waypoint might effect that sort of thing, but then you're getting into macro rather than micro AI.

It's not tactically sound behavior, in all honesty, but if you coded accurate human self-preservation for that instance, you would get excessive AI movement hijacking mission designers' intentions in other situations.

I see, thanks for the excellent response. It makes sense now. In most situations the A.I is great, but i guess it does have its limits. Nonetheless, i still get into very good fire fights more often than not with the a.i.

I set up a quick "get to destination" my mission game
Does that mean you're using a BIS mission template? It's probably featuring a HOLD waypoint, which forces an ai group to behave like you say.

There's really that second script/macro stage of ai, which shows how much tactical thought went into a mission. All those randomly generated missions of any kind will more or less lack in this point of mission design.

Why don't you give the mission editor a try yourself? ;)

Yeah, see what results you get with the poorly-named Guard waypoint in the editor.

Another thing to try is to tell a unit to move to a cover-rich environment and put this allowattack false in the team leader's init box. Hopefully they will then try to take cover under fire because cover is near enough for subordinates to act autonomously. The code you entered might make the team leader reluctant to take cover, but will prevent him from ordering his men on solo suicide rushes.

The best way to get the AI to act smart is to understand how they think. Bear in mind that a single infantrymen, who is given only a few tiny CPU cycles to make his decisions, will often equate being 'in cover' with 'near cover.' This makes him look like he has a death wish when he's in your crosshairs, but is behavior that will greatly increase the survivability of a squad in general.

allowattack false will cause AI to get wiped out very quickly and they will behave like disconnected idiots.

They will never try to engage a soldier they can't see - even if he kills their bro 5m away, behind the corner.