Sign in to follow this  
Kirq

Foliage and some textures looks terrible despite high settings

Hi, I have this problem for some time now, I'm not sure if it started at 1.57 but I'm sure I had it before 1.6. Foliage looks blury and terrible, plus some textures randomly turn very low quality and go back to high quality when I look at them.

This video shows the problem, watch the foliage and old wagon around 2:15.

Plus some screenshots.

https://picasaweb.google.com/106916617340731111388/ArmaProblem?authkey=Gv1sRgCKWAk-SXls62yAE

My rig:

i7 860 2.8GHz

8 GB RAM

GeForce GTX 460

Win7 64

Edited by Kirq

ATOC and video memory settings?

I've tried ATOC 1-7 without results, I'll try vid mem, should I lower it? I have it a v. high now.

---------- Post added at 01:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 AM ----------

What type of hard drive do you have? What are the HDD RPM's?

I have this HDD for about 2 years now, it's 1TB Samsung, don't recall exact specification now, but it was all ok on this HDD few months ago. I'll check HDD model and RPM and post it here.

EDIT

It's Samsung HD103SJ (1TB, 7200RPM, 32MB, SATA/300)

Edited by Kirq

I've tried ATOC 1-7 without results, I'll try vid mem, should I lower it? I have it a v. high now.

Yes, lower it to "Normal" for now. I believe "Very High" is for 2GB+ cards.

Yes, lower it to "Normal" for now. I believe "Very High" is for 2GB+ cards.
I have a 1GB card and it runs better in very high compared to just high. less texture loading and less LOD loading.

I had some similar issues with AToC + FXAA/Sharpen. Maybe try tweaking those settings.

I only have 1.25 GB cards and I find the "Default" Video Memory setting works best for me (same when I had 1 GB cards). Very High tends to cause LOD issues and a lot of stutter when turning for me, plus performance degradation over time.

I had some similar issues with AToC + FXAA/Sharpen. Maybe try tweaking those settings.

What are Your current, safe settings? Mine are AToC=3, FXAA=0.

PS. Thanks for Your time and tips Guys!

What are Your current, safe settings? Mine are AToC=3, FXAA=0.

PS. Thanks for Your time and tips Guys!

I use Mine are AToC=0, FXAA=1 but that's because I only have a dual CPU (not quad) and a fairly old (2 years) GPU (R4890).

I think I basically just turned AToC off and left FXAA on. I think I am using FXAA=17 and FXAASharp=3.

I think I basically just turned AToC off and left FXAA on. I think I am using FXAA=17 and FXAASharp=3.

I dont have "FXAASharp=3" line in my A2OA config, should I just add it below FXAA?

I dont have "FXAASharp=3" line in my A2OA config, should I just add it below FXAA?

It was introduced with the last beta patch.

Try video memory: Default if you haven't already. Artifacts can happen if you use any of the other options.

ATOC has to be "0" in order to eliminate the weird transparent tree edges, as seen in your screenshots. Foliage looks better anyway, with some detail (you can see through leaves), otherwise it looks just as if it were painted. Performance is a little better too. I think they didn't test this enough with the original Arma 2 textures.

Try video memory: Default if you haven't already. Artifacts can happen if you use any of the other options.

Exactly. That recommendation is one of several listed in the recommended tweaks.

ATOC has to be "0" in order to eliminate the weird transparent tree edges, as seen in your screenshots. Foliage looks better anyway, with some detail (you can see through leaves), otherwise it looks just as if it were painted. Performance is a little better too.

Precisely. This too is listed in the recommended tweaks.

Edited by domokun