Sign in to follow this  
walker

"The German" Stunning Special effects Dog Fight made for Zero cost.

Hi all

The latest shock for the Dinosaur Old Media Moguls?

A film with some of the Best visual effects Dog fights all for a special effects budget of Zero.

Awesome World War II Dogfighting Filmed On Zero Budget

One of the things I love computers for is how they have democratized the access to things that once were only attainable by a very few. This World War II short film called The German is a perfect example...

http://gizmodo.com/5880254/this-awesome-world-war-ii-dogfighting-was-filmed-on-zero-budget

As always follow the link to see the full and original text but in this case also to see far more of the dogfight ;)

UNbTVobWzTw

http://www.thegermanmovie.com/

Great to see realistic ballistics in a dogfight too. :) :yay:

With each passing day more and more of what was the preserve of Dinosaur Old Tech becomes the new hunting ground of quicker more responsive business models and the power of the old media becomes less and less.

More and more great films will be made without the old studios.

The Singularity is Near now.

Kind Regards Walker

Edited by walker

it's sad that the air scenery isn't made from real acrobatic plane ... so all is render including the volumetric clouds ...

Hi all

In reply to Dwarden all the Dogfighting is rendered apparently.

Here is the Vimeo Link

http://vimeo.com/31202906

The case is it points to the decreasing cost and increasing quality of special effects film making, some thing I am sure the community here is aware of, but also it is yet another example of disruptive technology removing the power of Dinosaur industries that is the real cause of things like SOPA.

The Dinosaurs control of the markets is slipping as faster more agile business models take over. Yes some of them realise the threat in some cases like the BBC they realised back in the 90s and have been positioning them self ever since; in other cases like Murdochs media empire they are coming late to the party with Business Models that are hangovers from the Broadcast Era, hence their support for SOPA in order to slow down technological advance but all they are really doing is crippling them selves by failing to face up to the reality; a business that has only the Artists to pay is simply going to out compete any business based on leaching profits to pay bankers and 1%ers.

Also worth seeing by Nick Ryan A Lonely Sky

http://vimeo.com/30230876

When you consider this thread:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=130536

It all makes me wonder what the Community will be able to do with ArmA III.

Kind regards walker

Edited by walker

Sensationalism will never get old and probably won't be a Dino anytime soon... :whistle:

Funding artist and creatives was never limited to big media companies only.

What was the non-special effects budget? I saw a whole crew and plenty of equipment.

Also, notice the proper collimator sight simulation :bounce3:

:D Steeeeeeeeerike

OT

The video is ok I guess.

Edited by Maio
Green olive and mushroom sauce

It's elf and safety mate. They can't get insurance or legal cover to do this sort of thing with real planes now. Besides, why risk real lives when CGI is perfectly capable when done correctly.

What was the non-special effects budget? I saw a whole crew and plenty of equipment.

The film cost 70,000 euros in 2007 when it was shot. It was an Irish Film Board scheme as far as I know. Not sure why it wasn't released until November last year, did it take that long to finish?

After seeing the trailer the film looked quite good but, I dunno, I felt the actual ten minute final piece was just.. hmm... well left me slightly let down, maybe just a case of the trailer is better than the film but I'm not sure. Very good cinematography though.

The dogfights looked much better than the usual hollywood stuff, but the planes were still very stiff and you didn't at all get the impression they were moving at 500 km/h.

The film cost 70,000 euros in 2007 when it was shot. It was an Irish Film Board scheme as far as I know. Not sure why it wasn't released until November last year, did it take that long to finish?

After seeing the trailer the film looked quite good but, I dunno, I felt the actual ten minute final piece was just.. hmm... well left me slightly let down, maybe just a case of the trailer is better than the film but I'm not sure. Very good cinematography though.

The Irish Film board gave him 70,000 euro only for live-action filming. ($92,000) That's why he had to create his own special effects with no special effects budget. He also said it took him 6 months to complete the special effects.

@Nicholas, Yeah I saw that Nick Ryan said it took him six months on the vimeo page. From reading his description I was under the impression that's just what they chose to spend the money on, rather than were required to.

@Walker, I think the 6 months to do the special effects does say something with regards to the "dinosaur" media industry. But it's gonna be a while before that's ever going to compete (at least in terms of time) with mainstream cinema. If it took 6 months for 10 minutes, if you want to keep the budget at zero, how long will it take for 2 hours?

it's sad that the air scenery isn't made from real acrobatic plane ... so all is render including the volumetric clouds ...

First thing I noticed. Would've been great to see some real puffy clouds..

Back in my day special effects included green screen captures. For as much hype you put on this the film wasn't as efficient as some of the bigwig hollywood movies are. Let's take for instance WALL-E which was budgeted on 180 million (estimated). For that 180 million you got 98 minutes of heart throbbing robot action. While this film on it's budget should have been at least 25 minutes long to get the same budget efficiency dollar for dollar. So the budget may have been drastically lower but the cost per minute of finished product was significantly higher.

Back in my day special effects included green screen captures. For as much hype you put on this the film wasn't as efficient as some of the bigwig hollywood movies are. Let's take for instance WALL-E which was budgeted on 180 million (estimated). For that 180 million you got 98 minutes of heart throbbing robot action. While this film on it's budget should have been at least 25 minutes long to get the same budget efficiency dollar for dollar. So the budget may have been drastically lower but the cost per minute of finished product was significantly higher.

You have done your maths wrong, if it cost roughly $92,000 to make this, then WALLE cost $1.8m per minute to make whereas this file costs less to make the whole thing then 1 minute of WALLE.

Dan;2101760']You have done your maths wrong' date=' if it cost roughly $92,000 to make this, then WALLE cost $1.8m per minute to make whereas this file costs less to make the whole thing then 1 minute of WALLE.[/quote']

I don't think you understand. My example was just my favorite Pixar movie but the principle remains the same. On a scale between the two movies factoring the budget as a percentage more points were spent per minute of the The German than a typical hollywood flick. If your figure of $92K is more accurate then mine then the amount is even greater. If you would like to go into the math behind it further I'd be happy to send you all my calculations via PM.

But just for giggles if you solve for x:

180,000,000 / 98 = 70,000 / x

Of course we all know that The German lasts approximately 10 minutes however substituting for X will show you (theoretically) how long the film could have been based on a hollywood budget scale. Like I said before if your figure of $92,000 is more precise then the solution for x will be even higher.

Movie budgeting is not linear :) there will always be a minimum cost no matter how long/short, which weights the budget at the lower end, giving it a curve.