Sign in to follow this  
oldbear

How to build AI friendly airport now ?

Trying to build some mission on my own terrains/island I have been experiencing some issue with AI behaviour flying aircrafts.

Until now, I had assumed that I can build airport only with ILS settings but without any ilsIn and IlsOff.

On such airport, if an AI driven aircraft was set nearby the ILS point, it was turning to the right direction and take off quite well. I have such "airport", figuring makeshift grass/dirt terrain on many of my islands/terrains and it was working well !

Now it seems that this is no more working ... in fact the AV-8 seems to have no problem, but I am unable to make an AI driven SU-25 or An-2 take off ... they all run blindly in the woods/rocks ...

So I have tested new airport config adding all parameters in IlsIn and IlsOff, but it seems to change nothing to IA plane behaviour.

So, I assume, I have done something wrong with airport config, but don't understand why it was working before, and no more ATM ... a hidden side effect of 1.60 ?

At a guess this may be related to new features by BIS

Were you aware? I only discovered a week ago.

AI in VTOL aircraft can now take-off, land and taxi in the Khe Sahn carrier !!

So can players.

But only VTOL aircraft, normal aircraft completely ignore the carrier. So there must be some new code that triggers.

Not sure if its the length of the runway, or a new "airport" parameter in CFGWorlds.

In fact atm, the AV-8 can take off from makeshift airstrips, I have re-design Airports on BearRocks. on the main airport all went well but on Camp6 grass airstrip all planes except AV-8 are unable to take off as they were able before.

please retest with latest 1.60.88918 beta, thanks

Latest Beta seems to change nothing :(

I believe SU-25 still crashes into the tree every time southern airport on Chernarus.. Maybe unrelated?

A SU-25 takes off from Krasnostav but crashes in the hill, do not take off on Balota.

I was wondering if I had done wrong on my islands/terrains, but it still seems to exist a "secondary airport" problem even in Chernarus.

Hi Old Bear....

I figured I'd better get around to checking for this Secondary Airport issue for CWR2, so I set up a quick test on Malden, which has a little secondary "airfield" on an island.....

It's not much of an airfield really - currently it actually uses asf2 roads as the runway, and asf3 as the taxiway! (Handy for smoothing)...

It looks like this...

airport.jpg

Underneath the visuals there's the usual runway & taxiway ILS parameters - complete with "taxi on & taxi off" points... The runway is arranged so planes approach to land from the East, and take off in a Westward direction...

My test was...

Myself standing by the airfield with my No 2 starting in-flight... I ordered him to land... no problem.... he circled round, approached and landed fine... trundled to a stop about 2/3 along the runway to the West.

I then simply ordered him to go to a point well out to sea to the East....

He correctly continued West to the TaxiOut point, turned on to the taxiway and followed it the entire length down to the east end - turned on to the runway and took off in a westerly direction...

No problems at all...

I usually configure all runways with the usual proper "taxiway circuit" so I've no experiences of how well the AI coped without them before, or even after the latest patch...

However, I can confirm from this test that this particular airport - which was configured before 1.60, and worked OK, still seems to be working OK after 1.60...

Not much help with your current problem, I'm afraid... :(

B

Old Bear

My "Sands" terrain thats full of airports seems to work fine with the latest Beta

In fact, I am having issues with secondary airports without defined waypoints for ilsTaxiIn[] and ilsTaxiOff[], for it seems that now, AI driven planes can't no more take off on their own on such airports as it was previously.

That's the case on Tropica, where main and 1st secondary are working well but all others secondary -of the kind without the waypoints- don't.

The problem I am having with BearRocks secondary seems a bit different for there, I have defined the taxiway waypoints. Of course I can have done wrong with the In and Out things but there it seems that there are objects near the runways messing up the AI pathfinding.

I must add that on most of those secondary airports I am not using object to feature the runway, they are grass or dirt airstrips like in most such like runway in the world, here and there I am using "runwayold_80_dirt.p3d" but the result is the same : AI driven airplanes can't take off and keep rushing to their fate like lemmings !

Edit : As all my dirt/grass secondary airports are more or less built on the same model, I mean an "invisible" runway with a nearby road all along, in order to help human player to have a better perception, I am wondering if this nearby road is having a messing effect on AI pilots pathfinding ... except the "SuperBrained" AV-8 AI pilot of course !

Edited by Old Bear

I must add that in order to get no clutter on grass/dirt runway surface, I am using 2 "Empty roads" layers.

Since I have experienced 1st issues with my makeshift airports, I have tested various different layouts and I think now that the roads build-in path-finding system is interfering with AI pilots pathfinding.

On "Tropica", "Vostok" and "Tigeria", I had such makeshift airports working perfectly for a while ..., now it 's no more working, probably because of some changes in AI pathfinding ... of course, it totally messed some missions I had build for my Clan.

Nevermind, as it seems it only my own problem, now these airstrips are "AI unfriendly" ..., we will survive, adapt and win, once more.

Edited by Old Bear

If you think the roads are interfering then maybe try deleting them and putting a concrete texture with no bumpiness/roughness to it there instead. It may not be feasible all the time but maybe you should check and see if it works. Could also try using grass and setting the bumpiness to 0. Both of these only work if you have the room in the mask for an extra color though.