Sign in to follow this  
goldblaze

Controls improvment

No. For one that limits your FoV, so I can only turn so far that should be deployable due to the fact you need to pull it down into the ready position.

However, as far as controls go they need to have 1,2,3,4,5, etc. for the weapons or let us map them like that. I'm tired of pressing F to cycle my weapons RoF to. Just let it be F or something for the weapon i've got it if it allows for it.

I agree. That's one thing standard FPS games have over ArmA. 1 is for primary, 2 is for secondary weapon/sidearm, 3 is for attachments to the primary weapon. 4 for grenades. 5 for something else. And, definitely, fire modes needs a different key. MOH does firemodes the best. For the UI, you could just have each separate menu (brought up by the number keys 1-0 I think) as radial menus (I know people here will immediately scream dragon rising, but dr wasn't the first to have this). This wouldn't stop your movement, only your ability to look around. It wouldn't take long (probably just a second) to select what you wanted. And maybe there could be an option to use this new UI system or use the old action menu.

i got another point to improve..

make the keyboardusers have the ability to control the gas on cars manualy.

additionally to the 3 speed types :-)

Edited by SaltatorMortis

Sorry guys but I remember that controls were very slow. I think you should imagine the difference between real life movement and virtual...there is a big difference, and arma in dangerous situations movements were very slow....

For example you couldn't run and change your gun...

It's a great game, I love it still now...but instead worrying too much for graphic (a lot of my friend couldn't join me for the grapich card) you should think to be more free.

Another bad thing I remember...was that IA could recognize you very far...instead you couldn't absoluty do the same with IA(it's bad for stealth actions). Sometimes I ned a IA to cover my back because he could spot the enemy faster then me.

I like the TOH's visual action control. I mean the get in vehicle, change seat. This would be great to see in A3 too. Ladder, get in to vehicles, to static weapons, etc..

I like the TOH's visual action control. I mean the get in vehicle, change seat. This would be great to see in A3 too. Ladder, get in to vehicles, to static weapons, etc..

Me too, that sort of visual control would look great in vehicles/jets/helos etc

I wholeheartly agree. Using those visual interaction points makes things a lot more intuitive, fluid and faster. The action menu should be as clean as possible and some new features (mainly weapon modifications) could make excellent use of them.

Here is a ticket I made concerning this topic :)

I think a big improvement could be realised if I could just click the commands in stead of using the number etc.

By that I mean, the option to hold a button [ctrl] and just have a cursor to click.

In short: for ex. you want to give a command to unit 3, just press ctrl, click on his icon at the bottom of the screen and click at the command you want to give him. (go there, attack, stealth, get down, hold fire, mount...)

Sorry guys but I remember that controls were very slow. I think you should imagine the difference between real life movement and virtual...there is a big difference, and arma in dangerous situations movements were very slow....

For example you couldn't run and change your gun...

It's a great game, I love it still now...but instead worrying too much for graphic (a lot of my friend couldn't join me for the grapich card) you should think to be more free.

Another bad thing I remember...was that IA could recognize you very far...instead you couldn't absoluty do the same with IA(it's bad for stealth actions). Sometimes I ned a IA to cover my back because he could spot the enemy faster then me.

Have you ever tried running and changing weapons in real life? I have. Granted it was airsoft, but the concept is the same. It's very difficult to do. The only way I could see this being implemented at all is only while walking and swapping between a sidearm and slung rifle.

Also, I think you mean AI, but that's more of a personal problem I think (in regards to spotting). I have almost no problem spotting AI at a distance while walking. Running is a different story though. If I'm standing still and the AI are walking it makes it even easier to spot them out at ranges beyond what your rifles will work at as well.

I wholeheartly agree. Using those visual interaction points makes things a lot more intuitive, fluid and faster. The action menu should be as clean as possible and some new features (mainly weapon modifications) could make excellent use of them.

Here is a ticket I made concerning this topic :)

I totally agree with you.

The most terrible thing in action menu is, you need to find the point where action is available an then find and select from the list. In summary the whole action menu should -as you said- clean as possibel.

I thing the AI commanding is good enougth, because 90 of the commands are static. And if you learn it, it can be use fast and simple. like 3-2-1 combo.

I hope ArmA3 will support 2 keaybords because I've run out of all G15 extra buttons :D

Imo many visual interaction points in most games are overdone with style + color. They kinda wipe out the function by overexposing it.

Action menu should be useful, clean, clear and important things should be on top. No need to go through "open door" or "close door" + similar stuff until you can reach "Gear", "Take <weapon>" ...

I too agree with the idea of TOH style interactions, especially if BIS makes more vehicles with inspection points that actually work in MP..... :D

what u ran our of keys in arma?

you never run out of keys! you can nearly combine everykey with anotherkey..

the limit is your brain and that some functions stop working [temporary move/run] + [forward] if you set the keys together for a new function then the soldier stops to move.

Edited by SaltatorMortis

I agree. That's one thing standard FPS games have over ArmA. 1 is for primary, 2 is for secondary weapon/sidearm, 3 is for attachments to the primary weapon. 4 for grenades. 5 for something else. And, definitely, fire modes needs a different key. MOH does firemodes the best.
Please remember though that in ARMA 2 (I don't know how modular the small arms actually will be in 3), the grenade launcher like all "attachments" is treated as part of the primary weapon, and that usually the "secondary weapon" is a launcher, so I'd suggest that 3 toggle through launchers if you have more than one equipped, i.e. M4+M203 (1), M1911A1 SD (2), and M136 (3).

I'd be comfortable with grenades being on G instead of 4 if it were to remain a cycle-through with LMB click to toss, but only for throwables/maybe explosives.

Exactly. I fucking hate the automatic bipod deployment every time I try to aim in Red Orchestra 2 or Battlefield 3. Automatization is a pain in the ass and reduces the control you have.
One thing I found in Battlefield 3 was that the bipod only deploys if you're stationary when you "ADS," so if you're even moving slightly then you sight in normally.
And with SLK animations mod there is a lot of advanced soldier controls and actions in ArmA 2. This mod for ArmA 3 will improve player's control greatly :)
Don't you mean the SMK animations? Either way, I did like the animations mod -- while elements of it do come off as weird (even though the "panic prone" is a real position), the "proper hipfire" change went a long way towards making CQB not suck, which I've sometimes felt about the RV engine.

Based on the old weapon customization screenshot showing the Tavor, I hope that ARMA 3 doesn't regress but rather includes the dual optics found in OA, i.e. "ACOG+Reflex," since those weren't featured so far.

Edited by Chortles

One way to improve the controls --and ive heard this mentioned elsewhere in this forum before-- is to break them down into different categories. Infantry, Heli, Fixed Wing etc.

Hop out of a heli/vehicle and your control scheme changes, nothing new -loads of games do it. This gives the opportunity to map controls based on the role rather than having an all round control scheme like there is now. Waaaay more space on the keyboard then. ;)

This, to me, is the most realistic option.

Been playing the 'Forgotten Hope 2' MOD for BF2 recently, and they have a well done (imo) system for bipods and anti-mat rifles in which they have effectively two modes (technically separate weapons buttons selectable 3 and 4).

For example with a M1918 BAR you can:

1. Carry it as an assault rifle, crouch, prone, stand, sights while moving etc. It will be fairly unwieldy compared to equivalent assault rifles.

2. You can select it's 'deployable' function, this means you cannot fire from the hip but must go prone to set up the bipod, it's slower, a few seconds longer, but far more acurate once in position.

I'm not suggesting this as a method, just something to think about.

E

To the questions on how I'd like them improved, I do mean, where the keys are bound by default, as well as a few of the controls that arn't on a key but more on screen, I actually think the amount of controls make the game very nice, and the game lets you play it how you want, from one soldier, to a army commander, just would like it to be a bit easier to make these controls work for certain people.

I consider the default scheme fairly good, except automatic assignment of joystick buttons (done weirdly, with a lot of redundancy between stick and throttle).

Squad commands, on the other hand, need some improvement. I found them difficult to use in combat. Before you issue a command to a squadmate in battle, he frequently drops dead (poor AI doesn't help it at all). Sometimes, this gets rather frustrating.

Nods.* I do think the biggest issue is the squad commands, but also squeezing a few of the more important commands into a easier to reach area of the keyboard as well., it's mostly small thinks that tend to go a long way in certain crowds.

Perhaps having voice recognition and voice commands could be an interesting feature. Of course, not an excuse to forgo improving keyboard/mouse commands, but as an alternative.

Changing interface has been frequently discussed, and especially the scroll wheel menu is generally accepted as something that needs improvement.

What do you mean by "would be nice if the controls were a bit better"? I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Organize the control menu better? Or fewer controls? What?

He means he wants something easier like CoD or BF3. he wants ARMA 3 to be more mainstream> Which for the love of gaming I hope it isn't

He means he wants something easier like CoD or BF3. he wants ARMA 3 to be more mainstream> Which for the love of gaming I hope it isn't

What ever you think I guess, I just want it so a few more people will like the game.

Perhaps having voice recognition and voice commands could be an interesting feature. Of course, not an excuse to forgo improving keyboard/mouse commands, but as an alternative.

Changing interface has been frequently discussed, and especially the scroll wheel menu is generally accepted as something that needs improvement.

Nodnods. Most of the controls are in a good place, I'm thinking more like things frequently use being closer to the left hand part, like night vision goggles, as well as the more important AI commands, almost wonder if there's a way to make selecting the AI to command easier somehow, instead of have the 12 f keys for them.

Edited by goldblaze

Hi, for me a simple improvement would be to use a bit more the actions menu, on the ArmA2 it was really unused, you have a key for most actions instead use the action menu for certain things that are not automatic; use less keys would be an improvement IMO, for example... the windage and elevation on the OA, or the satchels, that are threated as a weapon like the hand grenades... switch to 'em i think that should be done with the actions menu as the satchels and breaching charges is something that you use to carry on the backpack and not on the vest; the actions menu should be used for more things in my opinion as infantry. Reducing the number of keys used as infantry allowing space for use more keys with the vehicles increasing the functionality of this ones that since the OFP they're mere death-traps where you can't do nothing more than shoot with the main gun or coax and eat RPGs & ATGMs as a seating duck. Let's C ya

*EDIT: Add a key for drop the weapon or thing that we've on the hands (and it's related things as the ammo) would be an improvement over the controls too, instead have to open the gear menu and drop the things one by one.

Edited by wipman

In my opinion BIS should ditch the action menu altogether. First person games have had pretty much standardized control scheme since Half-Life. Weapons are selected using mouse wheel, environment and NPCs can be interacted with a universal use key, obstacles are passed with jump and crouch keys etc. I can't see why ARMA 3 couldn't use such familiar control scheme - with needed additions like secondary sights and under barrel weapons of course.

For example in ARMA 2 player must use two methods to select weapons (launchers & handgrenades) which is just odd and confuses newcomers. Or when I want to quickly heal someone I would only need to press the use key and not scroll through action menu for first aid action.

Edited by Norsu

I am pretty new here, but not to ArmA, and have been gaming lightly on and off for some 16 years (the time flies...). Please let me elaborate on some thoughts about the controls coming from more of a designer background.

For me, the biggest problem with ArmA controls is GUI consistency. The controls need to be in the same place every time, not like now when choosing AT launcher, I might scroll a little bit more by mistake and take a last look at the BMP through my rangefinder before it blasts me to pieces. Same with ordering soldiers. Why under "6" submenu, the Gear option is always in different place?

That's because when interacting with anything, be it a computer, phone, rifle, car, we rely on visual and muscle memory. That's why the first Apple had the menu always at the top left and trash at bottom right (although even they didn't follow their own school in some later cases), that's why you can write on your keyboard without looking at it, et cetera.

I understand that ArmA offers many more options than simplistic FPS shooters. But even more so, these options need to be logically arranged so the user can do the thing he wants instinctively, without looking too much at some scrolling menu in the heat of battle. And reserve the scrolling menu for things that are less used but important nevertheless, like changing position in vehicle, but not changing to AT weapon! Not binding the key for changing firing mode to switch me to grenades and kill myself when all I wanted was to change to burst! We have already seen some improved UI in VBS 2.0 videos (with vehicle interaction). This is the way to go, IMHO.

Often, the scroll menu currently bundles Actions and Settings together (satchel charge for example).

The new UI could be topical, meaning depending on i.e. what you are doing (pointing at) at the moment. Or maybe not.

Some kind of simple compass rose is good, because it offers four directions with distinct stops, if you do not overdo it. Options need to have stops, because of user's muscle memory. I want to be able to e.g. click middle mouse button (or hold a modifier key), and simply move mouse left/right/top/bottom for desired action, without even looking at it.

For more complex actions, the number system is fine (and very fast once you remember it), it only needs to be consistent (vis the above "6",Gear example).

Another bad example:

Flying a plane/helicopter. You want to enter auto-hover (or raise flaps in plane), but you misscroll and kill your engine (eject). Either BIS meant that as a simulation feature enticing players to learn emergency autorotate landings (bird strike), or a bad joke :)