Sign in to follow this  
jeza

(BBC Article) War or gaming fun? Spot the difference

Awesome. It is quite amazing how life-like the game can be at times.

Edited by Nicholas

In b4 the walker.

Yeah a really nice article, puts ArmA II in a some what good light. Shame he had to mention BF3 though. :D

Who cares about mention, Operation Arrowhead got all the pictures :yay: I don't get the fuss though, perhaps its a veteran thing but comparing the two, the distinct differences between reality and games really isn't so small. For one lighting in games is more instense, and filtered. Compare the very bottom shot, notice the color dehancing filter and the bloomy sky, color is not as rich either and the powerful normal maps tend to make human flesh look a bit strange. Perhaps if these things were removed/changed it would be more convincing.

Roll on Arma3 lighting system.

Oh he mentions and corrects the IRA incident too.

Edited by NodUnit

Honestly I thought the first shot of the helicopters looked more like BF3 than real life.

It would have been nice if he had mentioned the specifics of what makes ArmA seem more real, rather than just the graphics. But I think he was actually just reposting the screenshots and talking about his experience in BF3.

If getting shot eighty times and coming back to life reminded him of a day in Sirte, he really should play ArmA, though.

ArmA2 looks surprisingly life-like in 300*400. :P

If getting shot eighty times and coming back to life reminded him of a day in Sirte, he really should play ArmA, though.

Next time he gets there, he'll put his camera away and lead those rebels to victory.

Shout at them when they should advance, encourage them to find the source of the fire, make them hop across the country...

As impressive as ArmA2 can look, those screenshots must have had some touching up, mainly with the lighting I would think.

Still damned impressive though.

Great plug for Arma 2 and BIS but the arguments presented in the article were completely predictable.

I'm pleased that he didn't mention one of those idiotic "Gamers can't tell apart video games from real life."

All in all, an interesting article.

As impressive as ArmA2 can look, those screenshots must have had some touching up, mainly with the lighting I would think.

Still damned impressive though.

I don't think so. The creator just experimented with day and season, and everything looks better with thumbnail sizes to hide the flaws.

I'm pleased that he didn't mention one of those idiotic "Gamers can't tell apart video games from real life."

And yet he seemed to be heavily hinting at it, enough to please that constituency and the wargamer crowd simultaneously. He really seemed to dodge around the point an awful lot.

And yet he seemed to be heavily hinting at it, enough to please that constituency and the wargamer crowd simultaneously. He really seemed to dodge around the point an awful lot.

Indeed. I'd really like his word manipulating skills, however. Pleasing both sides is hard.

Good article, great to see ARMA2 gets some press time. Amazing how many people miss the point of the article though, some of the comments are ridiculous (on BBC site).

Good article, great to see ARMA2 gets some press time. Amazing how many people miss the point of the article though, some of the comments are ridiculous (on BBC site).

It's not a gaming discussion site, so don't expect something insightful from general media site.