Sign in to follow this  
Colasanto

Disappointed

Been a long time since I played this game, played it for a few hours on release. Just started it up again past few days to pick up my career. Got to a mission where i practice doing aerobatics with the heli, just awful; took away from a real simulation, asking me to do stupid crap in the heli that i'd never do.

Then the mission "The Shakedown" made me uninstall the game, so stupid that you want me in the mission to perform illegal movements in the helicopter to threaten or scare someones life, a form of torture to extract information from them. Yes, it's a game, but the way the mission and story entailed the situation with "Brain Frost" was holding him onboard the helicopter, then for me to stupidly scare him by doing manoeuvres that could result in a fatal accident, is barbaric.

It's a simulation, I'm quite happy doing rescue ops, transporting people and or cargo.

Next time you decide to make a helicopter simulation. Get mission / story writers to be realistic to the human world in corporate and civil aviation. Not some stupid aerobatic "I SCARE YOU WITH COPTERS" sort of missions.

Edited by Franze

You do know that the pilot was against the maneuver, his hand more or less forced but after the mission his brother is not all too happy about it. Essentially the pilot understand the rules and laws of it, but the PMC (His boss and a guy with a loaded gun whose attitude suggests he'd put the gun to his head if he didn't follow orders) didn't give a damn.

Edited by Max Power

You do know that the pilot was against the maneuver, his hand more or less forced but after the mission his brother is not all too happy about it. Essentially the pilot understand the rules and laws of it, but the PMC (His boss and a guy with a loaded gun whose attitude suggests he'd put the gun to his head if he didn't follow orders) didn't give a damn.

As I said, the bit where i got a heavy load was fine. The part "The Shakedown" as mentioned above where joe tells tom to pull stupid illegal maneuvers in the copter to get Brian Frost to talk.

Bye bye then.

You don't need to post, ass hat.

Edited by Max Power

Oh derp, I got the missions mixed up though it probably comes down to the same case, some prick who doesn't care about safety and would have you fired for simply not following orders. When that job you have is essentially your livelyhood where several people and family are depending on you, what can you do.

You don't need to post, ass hat.

Someone was going to say it, so it might aswell be me. ;)

Take care, kind sir.

Please, Colasanto, do not post story spoilers in the general section of the forums. You need to read the forum rules.

§21) Do not post campaign spoilers outside of the "Official Mission" forum.

If you need to discuss specifics of an official campaign mission outside of the official missions forum , for example to gain troubleshooting help in the troubleshooting forum, you must use the spoiler button to hide the spoiler from those people who don't want to see it, spoiling the campaign for other forum members may result in an immediate ban from the forums.

Post here for anything related to any of the official missions/campaign. Or use spoiler tags.

[spoiler]SPOILER[/spoiler]

Edited by Nicholas

Colasanto

I see you did not take Franze's hint. It is against the forum rules to post spoilers outside of the official scenario forum without spoilers tags.

Since Franze didn't leave any in thread warning, +1 warning for spoilers. Next time it will be an infraction.

NodUnit

I understand you are trying to help, and you are deliberately being vague, but please watch the spoilers.

§21) Do not post campaign spoilers outside of the "Official Mission" forum.

If you need to discuss specifics of an official campaign mission outside of the official missions forum , for example to gain troubleshooting help in the troubleshooting forum, you must use the spoiler button spoiler.gif to hide the spoiler from those people who don't want to see it, spoiling the campaign for other forum members may result in an immediate ban from the forums.

Have you looked at it the way you are actually only criticizing a mission which is part of the storyline of a helicopter simulation game?

I really fail to see why not liking what some character in the story wants from you, leads to uninstalling the game.

Take on Helicopters is really not about (just) the storyline.

Have you ever tried the editor, played around with the modules or made your own scenarios? :)

I really hope you will be able to look at it from a more rational point of view and discover what TOH can actually deliever you ;)

Dangit that's two derps in a row, one more and I'll have to smash my head against a brick wall again, I don't want to lose more memory!

All that said and done, if you were enjoying the game then one part of it isn't enough to warrant quitting is it? Hell nearly every game I play has a part I don't like in it, but it's a shame to snuff the game simply for that part, especially after spending money on it.

Only a Bis title creates so much passion , it's affected your actual emotions and values , that's something you should remember and channel it via the mission editor and create positive ones .

For story driven fans there is the campaign , for everyone else there is the editor :)

You see, I love story and i took this game as a very realistic simulation to helicopters, and for the most part it delivers quite well and within realistic values. Some of the coding is a bit off in regards to how the heli would act in real life, but over all it's good.

It's just a shame when the story goes into a spiral of unrealistic scenarios in a way I'd never handle a helicopter in real life, and it takes away from the real effort gone into the game design to act like real life simulation.

You can always make your own scenarios in the editor; that's what it is for after all.

You can always make your own scenarios in the editor; that's what it is for after all.

I think you're missing the point I was initially making in regards to the story.

I've clocked 5-10 hours in this game, and I got an impression that the game is very unfinished and poor in many ways.

I get an awful feeling when I walk around on foot, but what made me register and "rant" on this forum is the following:

I've just failed for the 6th time on the mission "memory: Operation bullseye" where The chopper gets shot down. It seems to be completely random how the chopper reacts to my maneuvers: sometimes it just tilts over without me doing squat, and other times I can control the chopper with no problems just to have it tip over in 2 seconds. It just doesn't feel right in any way.

Whats even funnier is that the guy in my chopper tells me to "get in closer" "can't you get a better angle" - WHILE we're crash landing.... Seriously?

PS: The whole career "cinematics" voiceover is so poorly done that I could have done a more realistic voice.

I don't think this game is worth 40 euros, but I've played FSX 10 for years and thought this game - being a chopper simulator - would be better. But it's sub-par.

btw: to register on the forums I had to type in the answer to this?

Random Question: In what year was released Operation FlashPoint: Cold War Crisis ?

REALLY???

It's just a shame when the story goes into a spiral of unrealistic scenarios in a way I'd never handle a helicopter in real life

In my opinion, that's the point of the game, you do stuff you wouldn't do in real life. If you just want to do what you do in real life, open up the editor and create exactly what you do in real life. I think it's much more interesting to fly gunships and do dangerous maneuvers because I wouldn't get the chance to do that in real life. I see these as positives, and more reason to play. For example, in DCS A-10C I don't just take off, fly about a bit and land. No, I barrel roll and drop bombs and make myself go into a stall at low altitude to practice recovering from it. I wouldn't do any of that in real life, because it's dangerous. But in the simulator, I have that opportunity.

That's entirely my opinion of course, and I respect that you may feel differently about it to me.