Sign in to follow this  
JSparks819

ARMA 3 on consoles

Not really. It's impossible to have an in-depth racing simulation on consoles because while you can buy a wheel and pedals - you still need keyboard and mouse to properly tweak the car.

And besides you can always connect gamepad to a PC (just like many other things) making consoles pointless :>

I didn't think about hardcore-racing-games on a console, more like NFS / Arcade-Racers, beside this I even try to avoid the XBox-Controller on my PC and if I have to use a GamePad, then I still prefer my Logitech Dual-Action-GamePad, which is old but good.

Don't get me wrong, there are still quite a few games which work quite well on a console, but I prefer them on a PC and like to use a Mouse + Keyboard for most Games and will never buy a console.

:)

OFPElite had the Editor, which when first released DR didn't, not sure if it still hasn't. That made 'elite' have a depth that DR could not even dream about. O.k. not as deep as the pc version, but it still ranks as a classic game, with plenty of depth. If thats what you mean by depth..

DR has the editor at least on PC. But I'm talking gameplay here, not tools.

Yes game-play can never match.

No there was no editor with the console version, but there again there wasn’t much of a game there either.:(.

No it's not. OFP was a lot simpler than ArmA and even then they had to simplify it for gamepads further. While you die just as fast in Elite - depth-wise it's no different from Dragon Rising.
I said possible, not "done well enough to compare to keyboard and mouse". :p
OFPElite had the Editor, which when first released DR didn't, not sure if it still hasn't. That made 'elite' have a depth that DR could not even dream about. O.k. not as deep as the pc version, but it still ranks as a classic game, with plenty of depth. If thats what you mean by depth..
Truthbetold the depth comes down to content creation (what we think of by modding) instead of just arranging official content (Editor without mods), and what'd probably most suck about Arma on consoles would be the unlikelihood-if-not-impossibility of content creation.

:pTruthbetold the depth comes down to content creation (what we think of by modding) instead of just arranging official content (Editor without mods), and what'd probably most suck about Arma on consoles would be the unlikelihood-if-not-impossibility of content creation.

That’s right, console users can’t mod themselves using the console as a tool, however they may be able to use/play mods made on the pc soon. Read something recently, can’t remember who or what, still it mentioned pc mods being played on console, maybe that was concerning the next lot of consoles, who knows..

But yes its correct, console will never match upto pc, hopefully never will. The initial question in the thread though, more like a plea than a question, was for BIS to think about making this for the console, to that I would say, I don’t think BIS will, yet, however I would not rule it out in the future.. They may feel like they could dabble again in the console area, although I hope not..

I doubt Microsoft will do that on XBox at least.

Remember - we get content updates to Left4Dead (and some other games) completely free but on XBox Microsoft forces people to pay for exactly the same stuff.

No way they will let mods, the greatest enemy of DLCs, to grab their piece of cake just like that.

It's a lot more likely that M$ will be like Valve when it comes to their other games (TF2, Dota2). Making people pay for mods.

But yes its correct, console will never match upto pc, hopefully never will. The initial question in the thread though, more like a plea than a question, was for BIS to think about making this for the console, to that I would say, I don’t think BIS will, yet, however I would not rule it out in the future.. They may feel like they could dabble again in the console area, although I hope not..
Arma Tactics' very existence shows that BI isn't above exploiting the brand name "in the console area". ;)

As for "not rule it out in the future"... we are talking about the post-Steamworks-announcement BI... ;)

I just want to be clear for anyone who's reading this, a comparison to what I'm talking about: Imagine what the Arma 3 alpha would have been like without mod support and only Editor access to the BI-made/shipped content, and imagine that there was no way to get more without BI releasing more in patches or free-or-paid DLC. That is what would be the situation would be like for Arma on consoles without content creation tools, and why (without content creation tools for console) the PC version would remain superior.

I didn't think about hardcore-racing-games on a console, more like NFS / Arcade-Racers, beside this I even try to avoid the XBox-Controller on my PC and if I have to use a GamePad, then I still prefer my Logitech Dual-Action-GamePad, which is old but good.

Don't get me wrong, there are still quite a few games which work quite well on a console, but I prefer them on a PC and like to use a Mouse + Keyboard for most Games and will never buy a console.

I agree, race games on consoles are usually a big let down. There are only a few race games that are good enough to play, but then still has to much arcade glitter around it. Gran Turismo is quite fun against other players and the cars do have a bit of a realistic feel to it when you drive. The AI is horrible though, always driving on the ideal racing line and if you are on it they will just bump you of the road like if you are not there. I also have a very cheap race game for the PC from the company SimBin (Race 07) and it is superior in every aspect. That game costs $5 and Gran Turismo and all other console games costs 50 to 60 dollars. The only reason for me to play a console race game is that you have guaranteed decent fps, on a PC it is undoable if the fps is all over the place or low in general.

I agree, race games on consoles are usually a big let down. There are only a few race games that are good enough to play, but then still has to much arcade glitter around it. Gran Turismo is quite fun against other players and the cars do have a bit of a realistic feel to it when you drive. The AI is horrible though, always driving on the ideal racing line and if you are on it they will just bump you of the road like if you are not there. I also have a very cheap race game for the PC from the company SimBin (Race 07) and it is superior in every aspect. That game costs $5 and Gran Turismo and all other console games costs 50 to 60 dollars. The only reason for me to play a console race game is that you have guaranteed decent fps, on a PC it is undoable if the fps is all over the place or low in general.

I totally agree with you.

Having to get this game through steam is bad enough. I swear, if they start coding the ARMA series for consoles (read - DUMB IT DOWN), I'll finally give up and believe that there aren't ANY game coders left that believe in the PC. The console coders have defecated on PC users too much already and I, for one of thousands, am sick to death of it. I'll play the games I already own and scrap the games I have through attrition and forget about games completely.

there are still PC only games around but for what ever reason they are not common. Planetside2 Eve online (wont mention its attached console only Dust514 lol) Arma3. Why anyone would want to limit themselves to consoles that only get updated every 7 years (Playstation 3 is 7 years old now) is beyond me. the PC is a capable platfom. Sure its had issues in the past (Windows Vista can go die in a fire) but I have no problem with Windows 7.

The simple truth is there are more console players than PC. Mainly due to price and convenience.

BIS would have quite a lot of revenue if they made a cut-down version for consoles.

They did it for OFP which was quite successful I think.

As long as it doesn't impact the PC version, whats your gripe?

(PS. I don't have a console)

Arma 3 on consoles is just like putting flight Sim on consoles...

Means it's not possible, or it would be much too casual like BF or CoD

...Compared to the PC version yes but it would still be totally different for console players.

If BIS can do it why not!?!? (after they finish the PC version of course ;))

No thanks, this is a PC exclusive... for many good reasons, and it needs to stay that way.

Oh no, "flight sim on consoles" yet "not too casual" is quite possible... don't believe me? Google Over G Fighters... been there, played that, actually more "sim" than Arma fixed-wing! :lol:

As with Over G Fighters I just don't see "Arma for consoles" selling well enough to justify the monetary cost to BI of development-or-porting and publishing (in OGF's case, Taito + Ubisoft for the North American publishing).

gamepad = 10/12 buttons?

keyboard...well, you know it.

both arma 3 and flight sim use soooooooooooooo many keys for all the actions - which can't be done with a gamepad.

so, it really CAN'T be done on console...

otherwise, it will be just big big big shit like counter call of duty or battlefield - which all sucks sooooooooooooooooooooooo much (I do think they don't deserve the name "game" at all - just shit).

everytime I play one of them (which can all be played on consoles), I feel like "hey what the f*ck is that? looks like it's a pre-pre-pre-alpha stage and I pay for this shit?"

so just no ArmA 3 on console at all.

You known how biased and pathetic your above non-arguments are?

Why do you play the mentioned ganes if you don't like it? No one is forcing you to buy them anyways...

On the contrary, Operation Flashpoint Elite used the same button combination of Operation Flashpoint WITH leaning added in (technicly it was more like Armed Assault)

Running down the list we should consider the controls before bashing them against the keyboard...the joystick for example, a single thumb button with a press in function, which when compared to keyboard equates..

Walking, running, jogging, eight directions. When pressed in you could then lean left and right. This single thumbstick does the job of W,A,S,D,Q,E and their mixed combinations.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Operation_Flashpoint:_Elite_Controller_Layout

Edited by NodUnit

ArmA as we know it on PC, nope. Something similar? Maybe.

BI appeared on PS4 reveal, so who knows. DayZ is also probably goingo to appear on consoles soon or later.

well given that the new consoles will be using 8 core CPU's and have 8 GB of ram and a video card that is the equivalent to a 7850 I don't see why a version of A3 cold not be made for consoles, a more "simplified" version to compete with call of dull and battlefraud franchises.

bohemia tried to get arma2 to the xbox360, but they couldn't get it to run acceptably (low framerate, and streaming stuff from the dvd as not all xbox360's have a harddrive)

Maybe they'll try it agian, however, arma relies heavily on single threaded cpu performance, which the ps4 and xbone don't have much of. But both consoles have a harddrive and lots of memory, so that's one obstacle out of the way I guess.

Edited by Leon86

The aforementioned different foci (single-threaded CPU performance versus the PS4/Xbox One emphasis on multicore) are probably the biggest technical limitation, although of course performance would also be even better with a SSD...

You known how biased and pathetic your above non-arguments are?

Why do you play the mentioned ganes if you don't like it? No one is forcing you to buy them anyways...

What I am just saying is ArmA 3 on consoles WILL make it a sucking casual game like BF or CoD.

ArmA 3 on consoles Will make it lose its spirit/soul as a lot of compromises Will have to be done.

It wont be a Sim anymore, just another modern war FPS...