Sign in to follow this  
JSparks819

ARMA 3 on consoles

If Bohemia made a cross-platform game similar to Swat 4 and managed to do it without

pulling people off Arma patching and development then I'd be interested in seeing that.

A game like that would have a lasting community on both platforms and both versions

would be pretty much the same with maybe a few very minor tweaks to fit with console

controllers and power limitations.

So long the PC version doesn't suffer I'm ok with cross-platform.

If BIS wants to score a little "easy" money, they should re-release Operation Flashpoint: Elite as ArmA: Elite and sell it on XBLA and PSN.

Obviously with 1080p resolution, surround sound support, co-op gameplay and the ability to share missions.

Holy shit yes please.

A few other optimizations too like draw distance, contruction points etc.

say what ?? do some investigation about ps3/xbox hardware specs.

then check out what arma3 will need. ther are no lies. only facts.

if the game where to run on a console, the dev's have to take out so much from the game that it would not be arma3 anymore..

It's called optimization. ArmA III would definitely be able to run on PS3 and Xbox hardware, but only if it was developed for it. Of course you can't just port it to consoles. They would have to work from the ground up pretty much. I don't think you understand at all.

So long the PC version doesn't suffer I'm ok with cross-platform.

My major concern is if BIS ever decided to go cross-platform it would reduce the quality of the PC version, we have all seen it occur so many times with other titles.

:P

Optimization != Magic.

-k

It's called optimization. ArmA III would definitely be able to run on PS3 and Xbox hardware, but only if it was developed for it. Of course you can't just port it to consoles. They would have to work from the ground up pretty much.

HW specs of a example xbox360

cpu 3 cores @ 3.2 Ghz.

gpu Xenos (graphics chip) running at 500Mhz with 10MB eDram.

mem 512Mb Gddr3 @ 700Mhz -NOTE. THIS IS SHARED MEMORY WITH GRAPHIC CARD

Arma3 MINIMUM Requirements.

cpu intel I5 or amd P x4 | "Quad Cores"

mem 2GB

Gpu: Nv 260 or Ati 5770, having 898 MB ram

Other stuff. DX10/11, PhysX, ""Java"".

to get this working you would need to take out alot of the game in its current state and "Dumb it Down" so the Hw on the consoles can handle it.

basicly rewrite the entire RV engine which is not going to happen.

Of cource bis could put something together and Stamp ARMA3 on it.

but it would be far from the same game that a pc would be running.

take example the game Skyrim for ps3. it had seriouse issues with huge save files due to the low mem it has. imaging the nightmare this would be for Arma3 in example a mission like Warfare. oh my.

I don't think you understand at all.

this comes from you. heh.

Optimization != Magic

indeed.

My major concern is if BIS ever decided to go cross-platform it would reduce the quality of the PC version, we have all seen it occur so many times with other titles.

Thats why I used a game like Swat 4 as an example.

Games like that can be pretty much equal on both platforms.

According to DICE Battlefield 3 started with PC as the main platform

but deadlines, costs and and the difficulty having people available

to work on both proved to be too much and they were forced

to switch to PS3 as the lead platform.

If developers want to make cross platform games they should stick

to ones that that are viable on both platforms without sacrificing quality.

ZOMG BIS optimize teh game

With my supreme technical knowledge since im just awesome and all...

BIS all you have to do is delete the Shaders and dll's that would easily increase engine performance by at least 300%.

Also if you delete your system32 folder you can make your computer run like new again.

FPDR

Seems like nobody knows what the word optimization even means in computer language...

Like this video shows you

QqI7QdWxG1Y

Edited by Flash Thunder

It's called optimization. ArmA III would definitely be able to run on PS3 and Xbox hardware, but only if it was developed for it. Of course you can't just port it to consoles. They would have to work from the ground up pretty much. I don't think you understand at all.
ArmA III needs large amounts of framebuffer and system memory. The Xbox360 only has 10MB eDRAM and 256MB VRAM and the bandwidth of the latter is horrible aswell.

It also lacks the more extensive shader model 4.0 which has larger registers and does more than just floating point operations.

It could be done, but it will have to be more dumbed down than Battlefield 3 on consoles already.

I'm just saying it is possible. Of course it wouldn't be the same on the PC. I do not want it on consoles myself. I just hate how most of you are saying "it's not possible", dur dur dur.

Anything is possible. ;)

ZOMG BIS optimize teh game

With my supreme technical knowledge since im just awesome and all...

What I mean by "optimization" is make the game work well with the hardware specifications of the consoles. You don't have to be an ass about it. As I said, it is indeed possible. Just because ArmA III states that it requires a quad-core CPU, doesn't mean that they can't make it work on 4 year old hardware. As I said, if they were to develop specifically for consoles, they would be able to do it.

Ok, then nuxil, just because ArmA III requires a quad-core, then BF3 must not be able to run on an Xbox either? Because the BF3 PC system requirements say it needs a quad-core as well. I could have chosen any game, but I chose BF3...

Battefield 3 PC Requirements:

Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU

RAM: 4GB

Graphics card: DirectX 11 Nvidia or AMD ATI card, Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 or ATI Radeon 6950.

Graphics card memory: 1 GB

Sound card: DirectX compatibl sound card

Hard drive: 15 GB for disc version or 10 GB for digital version

Xbox Hardware Specs:

cpu 3 cores @ 3.2 Ghz.

gpu Xenos (graphics chip) running at 500Mhz with 10MB eDram.

mem 512Mb Gddr3 @ 700Mhz -NOTE. THIS IS SHARED MEMORY WITH GRAPHIC CARD

You are going to say:

ZOMG BF3 CANT RUN ON XBOXS!>!11

But it seems as though they do have BF3 on both consoles and PC's. Am I correct? Required specifications don't mean anything. I could get BF3 or ArmA II to run on hardware from 2005 with some work.

As I said many times before, which some of you still don't understand, it is possible to make ArmA III run on consoles. Although it would take a lot of work and they would have to pretty much redesign everything.

Edited by Nicholas

Personally I think the majority of the calls for Arma on console isn't about wanting to have a great game on consoles, it's more about needing a new game fix until something else comes along 2 weeks later.

If Arma 2 came out on consoles tommorow they'd play it for 2... maybe 3 weeks

and then go running to another game forum asking for that one on consoles.

Consoler/Game relationships are like speed dating.

doesn't mean that they can't make it work on 4 year old hardware

I think you mean 6 and in terms of hardware that translates into 2.5 human lifetimes.

If you want to play Arma sitting on your couch in front of your HDTV there is nothing stopping you.

- 20-25 foot HDMI cable or a even midsize case that sits confortably next to your TV

- Wireless keyboard

- Wireless mouse

- TV dinner tray

Adjust mouse settings, interface size and go.

Edited by jblackrupert

Personally I think the majority of the calls for Arma on console isn't about wanting to have a great game on consoles, it's more about needing a new game fix until something else comes along 2 weeks later.

If Arma 2 came out on consoles tommorow they'd play it for 2... maybe 3 weeks

and then go running to another game forum asking for that one on consoles.

Consoler/Game relationships are like speed dating.

Exactly, which is why I hope like hell they never release ArmA on consoles.

jblackrupert. I NEVER said I wanted ArmA to be on consoles. Did I? I didn't think so. I'm just saying that it is possible, but I hope it never happens. How many times do I have to say it?

Edited by Nicholas

it is possible to make ArmA III run on consoles.

Wrong.

What you mean to say is that it's possible to develop a substandard game that is capable of being played on a console and call it ARMA3 - but it's not really ARMA3 is it...

Wrong.

What you mean to say is that you can develop a substandard game that is capable of being played on a console and call it ARMA3 - but it's not really ARMA3 is it...

It could use the same engine. They could make the engine work, couldn't they? How did they get OFP: Elite to work with the original Xbox? Was it a completely different engine than Real Virtuality?

How long did the OFP: Elite community last? A week, month, year?

Do people who played it even remember playing it?, did they actually buy it or just rent it?

Most console games never even celebrate their 1st anniversary let alone 10 like OFP on PC.

It could use the same engine. They could make the engine work, couldn't they?

Consoles would restrict Real Virtuality 4 of freedom.

How long did the OFP: Elite community last? A week, month, year?

Do people who played it even remember playing it?, did they actually buy it or just rent it?

Most console games never even celebrate their 1st anniversary let alone 10 like OFP on PC.

But it was still possible. Which is what I'm getting at. :P I'm not saying anything about the community or how many people would play. I'm just saying that it is possible. ;)

I'm just saying that it is possible.

It's possible to buy your wife a handbag made out of toilet paper and put a Gucci tag on it.

It's possible to buy your wife a handbag made out of toilet paper and put a Gucci tag on it.

It is indeed possible, but totally different.

If ArmA III was made for consoles , it would probably be made by Bohemia Interactive with the same game engine as the PC version.

Whereas the handbag would not be made by the same people, nor with the same materials.

I have inquired the CEO of Bohemia Interactive to see what he thinks. Since I'm sure he knows a hell of a lot more than you or me.

Well they can have fun with Dragon rising. It sucked on PC but for a console game

it was pretty good seeing as nothing like it existed at the time.

But then like I've said....DR didn't die on console because it sucked. it died because

the console players got bored and needed their next fix and moved on like they do

with every game they get.

Even by some miracle Bohemia could squeeze Arma 3 onto a console do we really want

them taking time, money and resources away from Arma 2, 3 and TOH so consolers can have their 2 week fix, many of whom will RENT the game meaning BIS gets 1 sale

for for maybe every 50-100 people who play it?

Check the videogame section of Craigslist. Watch the used game sales a couple of weeks after a major release.

Craiglist gets FLOODED with used console games like Battlefield BC2, BF3, Crysis 2.

Edited by jblackrupert

Well they can have fun with Dragon rising. It sucked on PC but for a console game

it was pretty good seeing as nothing like it existed at the time.

But then like I've said....DR didn't die on console because it sucked. it died because

the console players got bored and needed their next fix and moved on like they do

with every game they get.

Even by some miracle Bohemia could squeeze Arma 3 onto a console do we really want

them taking time, money and resources away from Arma 2, 3 and TOH so consolers can have their 2 week fix, many of whom will RENT the game meaning BIS gets 1 sale

for for maybe every 50-100 people who play it?

jblackrupert, the only point I'm getting at is that it is possible. I'm not talking about how successful it would be or how many people would play.

If ArmA III was made for consoles , it would probably be made by Bohemia Interactive with the same game engine as the PC version.

Naturally. If BIS could guarantee the community that a console version would in no way encumber the development of the PC version then I would be fine with that.

Battlefield 3 on PC and Console are radically different games because of the massive cuts

thats that had to be made on console, some of which pollute the PC version.

BF3 on PC is Battlefield 2.5

BF3 on console is Bad Company 3.

You all remind me of this scene from Law Abiding Citizen:

"I believe those cots (ArmA III) are bolted to the cells (PC's)."

"Well that's what wrenches (tools required to get ArmA to run on consoles) are for, dumbass."

It's at about 0:42 seconds.

-dOJrWQw1pg

Nicholas

Battlefield 3 lead platform was on consoles after all. not the other way around.

they just added some extra shiny graphics for pc version ;)

but there is more to arma than just graphics. Ai calulation. Script calulation etc etc