Sign in to follow this  
matteo1944

trenches

How can i make them in wrp tool? i tried this: -height of ground 20 m,then i choose line of 5 squares,set their height to 18,but it looks like channel... if I set to 15 then it looks like a glacier came through there.... :confused::confused::confused:

Hi Matteo,

it isn't possible to create trenches in a map for OFP, unless changing game cells size which creates very heavy lag like in the Midship infantryrange test island.

The only way is to create map objects which look like trenches but cannot be put under ground level.

By changing some values in the island config, such as Midship says here :

@jackson42

As said, put landgrid=nnn and setterraingrid =nnn , both to your island config. For the first time use for both the same values (e.g. 50, 25, 12.5 etc.)

Then, the effect can be best seen with runways, which are changing most significantly their size (half width etc.)

With reduced cell size you will be faced with a lot of lag, so reduce setviewdistance. I don't know it exactly, but think it's among others, a measure of tex cells in range. So here I reduce by a rule of thumb the setviewdistance by the same ratio one has chosen for the grid. For example 25m cell means half viewdistance.

To see what's going on, for a first test it's better one makes the cells and the island bigger instead of smaller. For instead 100m cells. Then one can set setviewdistance twice the normal value (looks realistic with some fog).

It's just to get an overview. Finally one has to relocate all objects by the chosen ratio in the XZ coordinates (Y remains unscaled). Also standard forests become unusable and must be made new to fit the cells.

The best way to create trenches is using the method of I44 to create Foxholes (a vehicle of the model of the foxhole with the player in a gunner position), I think that it would work pretty well.