Sign in to follow this  
taro8

Boycott of E3 anyone?

braveheart-internet.jpg

With all the SOPA and PIPA madness, the Extra Credits came up with the idea to boycott E3. Reasoning is that E3 is ESA's event, something they get most of their money from. The Entertainment Software Association is supporter of SOPA and PIPA, so financing ESA is helping that draconian bill to pass. Also, for some odd reason, US government considers ESA to be representative of whole video game industry. Denying them moneyz they really really want seems to be good way to get through those thick skulls.

Extra Credits ask to write to your favorite game developers and ask them to boycott E3. Im proud owner of Arma 2 and Operation Arrowhead so I wish to put this request here, on these forums, same that took part in Internet Blackout.

Bohemia Interactive, please boycott the E3.

There I said it

You may disagree with me and I respect that, but I want to inform you guys.

Extra Credits Video: http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/stand-together-the-gaming-community-vs-sopa-and-pipa

Edited by Taro8

+1 to this

or perhaps setup a rival event at the same time as E3 but host it somewhere else, maybe the NEC in the UK?

I think if a sufficiently large number of game developers boycotted E3 it would send a nice, loud and clear message. Of course, ESA will then probably "retract" their support for SOPA/PIPA - GoDaddy style - in an attempt to save face. In any case, I'll be following this with interest.

Thank you, Taro8, for a very informative thread.

+1 to boycotting E3.

Well also +1 but I really doubt that it will happen. Game Devs need the E3 to present their games.

But Imagine if someone would organize a parallel Event for Indie Developers! That would send a very clear message!

I'm completely in favor of this. All it would really take is one major player to threaten not showing up. Unfortunately, these companies are the least likely to do so.

Still, we need to spread the word.

I know a couple of prominent gaming sites in Norway is considering boycotting E3. This is small fries in comparison to if Gametrailers, IGN, Gamespot, etc. would boycot this event.

If enough sites does this, then yes +1

I know a couple of prominent gaming sites in Norway is considering boycotting E3. This is small fries in comparison to if Gametrailers, IGN, Gamespot, etc. would boycot this event.

If enough sites does this, then yes +1

Those sites get a lot of views during those live covers of E3 an so. I really doubt that they would boycott it.

I didn´t even saw a single article about SOPA in GT and IGN yesterday...

I'm not at all optimistic about it either, but it would make an impact for sure.

Except major game publishers don't want to stop SOPA/PIPA. Hell, I bet EA and Activision would like nothing less than to shut down all the torrent sites for good.

This goes further, in fact. Indie developers are a powerful presence on the market (with games like Minecraft selling millions of copies) and SOPA/PIPA would destroy indie developers because under SOPA/PIPA, parties alleged to be violating copyrights (even if they actually aren't, or even if they don't know about the violation) will be automatically guilty and will have to go to court AFTER they get shut down. Obviously many indie developers can't afford huge legal teams so this means we'd see a decline in independently developed games.

In essence, the major publishers support SOPA/PIPA not only because they want to stop piracy but also because it will give them a serious edge over competing indie developers.

Besides, E3 is in like June. PIPA is going to be voted on in five days.

Edited by RangerPL

I don't understand why everyone is mad at the ESA. You realize that if they were against SOPA, they would have potentially lost companies that show up at E3. Then everyone would be all mad like "Why didn't Sony show up at E3!?!??111 Damn you ESA!!!1"

Double standard as it is called.

Except major game publishers don't want to stop SOPA/PIPA. Hell, I bet EA and Activision would like nothing less than to shut down all the torrent sites for good.

Except its not video game publishers want SOPA, its the obstelete media mogules that want it. They cant follow the time, so they dont want anyone go on without them.

Also its not that its anti-piracy law, its that SOPA is so shitty. Entertainment reviews that aren't pandering to the major studios will be censored as corporations are 100% guaranteed to abuse the law to take down unflattering websites.

Hell, I bet EA and Activision would like nothing less than to shut down all the torrent sites for good.

Very true but I believe Activision are against SOPA.

Very true but I believe Activision are against SOPA.
I just looked it up and it does seem like they indeed are supporting it. I don't think it's "amplified" and official, but I would expect Bobby Kotick to support this piece o' shit legislation.

Huzzah!

This thread can be closed now I guess.

Well SOPA is becoming unpopular and the rats start to leave the sinking ship. But don´t you think they will instantly jump on the next one?

The battle for Helm's Deep is over. The battle fo middle-earth is about to begin.

Actually SOPA and PIPA are simply another try to shut up internets. So there is no question some other "genius" will "think of children" or some other bullshit.

Think of the children? How about parenting? All the worlds problems are from bad parenting. And religion.

The battle for Helm's Deep is over. The battle fo middle-earth is about to begin.

Actually SOPA and PIPA are simply another try to shut up internets. So there is no question some other "genius" will "think of children" or some other bullshit.

xGqSJ.jpg