Sign in to follow this  
drift501

Sniper Support

Hello. I am trying to male a mission where I am covered by a sniper and a spotter at an elevated location. Is it best if I just place the sniper and spotter on a hill and give them a waypoint to their position set for open fire, engage at will and stealth. I have also come across a reveal command but I cannot find the thread describing this again. It used a reveal command and also ran a script to cycle the targets. How good is the standard spotter and snipers detection and accuracy and do the spotters fire. If the spotters dont fire and has good detection skills I would just use that method but if not could somebody teach me the reveal command and how to use it. Thanks

(BTW I have searched)

So if my spotter was named spotter and my enemies were named e1, e2 etc. I would put this in his init line

spotter reveal e1; spotter reveal e2; 

each time adding another line for each enemy. So because the spotter knows about the enemy and he is grouped with the sniper the sniper should engage the enemies accurately.

Am I right.

If reveal leaves you frustrated with its lack of reliability, do this.

Put a civilian in the snipers group, and put hideobject this in the init field.

Then, when you want the sniper to target a particular enemy, use attachto to make the invisible civilian spotter float in the air above or behind the enemy. He will call out the target and your sniper will know the exact location.

If reveal leaves you frustrated with its lack of reliability, do this.

Put a civilian in the snipers group, and put hideobject this in the init field.

Then, when you want the sniper to target a particular enemy, use attachto to make the invisible civilian spotter float in the air above or behind the enemy. He will call out the target and your sniper will know the exact location.

How do I do this. Do I call in some sort of script or put something in init lines of units. Sorry, I am a bit of a scripting/editing noob whem in comes to scripts and commands.

Command reveal is of no use in an init line. What is revealed is the best knowledge of target unit on the current side, and during init no unit knows anything. reveal should be executed exactly when you want to reveal a unit to another unit, so some kind of trigger is better.

I beleave you should be able to solve the problem without the civilian workaround (which is smart but maybe a little more advanced). Try command lookAt to make spotter follow an explicit unit, and maybe the game will handle the rest by itself.

Also, When Using reveal in this manner, it's important to keep in mind the position of your sniper and spotter units and his Line-of Sight. Don't expect him to make god-Shots between tiney Gaps in a platform or something. If the spotter cant see him and the sniper can't hit him reasonably well, REVEAL won't help!

How do I do this. Do I call in some sort of script or put something in init lines of units. Sorry, I am a bit of a scripting/editing noob whem in comes to scripts and commands.

You know how to use simple triggers, right? However you were going to trigger the revealtarget commands or whatever, put that in the Conditions field of a normal trigger. Then attachto goes in the On Activation field.

Look up the attachto command, which every mission designer should know regardless of experience level. If you set the attachto to refer to a unit the sniper controls, and keep the offset number positive, he will teleported to a position above the enemy target, and have a bird's eye view of the opposing side.

Just make sure he's invisible by putting hideobject this in his init field.

also another thing to mention: make sure your sniper is no more than 300m away. Or you will get nothing but machine-gun like suppressive fire from your sniper (they are terrible after 300m, pretty bad at 200m as well)

A question on the subject: I have never used it, but can command aimedAtTarget be used to check when when aiming is good, and then fireAtTarget?

A question on the subject: I have never used it, but can command aimedAtTarget be used to check when when aiming is good, and then fireAtTarget?

yes It can, although im not entirely sure if it is 100 working correctly, the command seems like it was intended to be used for armor or artillery rather than infantry weapons, so the number may not be accurate. I think it returns a number from 0 to 1, 1 being perfect aim quality.