Sign in to follow this  
red oct

Any one interested in a ak-47? reeeal cheap!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ June 11 2002,04:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Last time I heard, in Africa an AK47 went for about $50. On the black market that is, and Im fairly sure that that is a bulk rate.<span id='postcolor'>

In Kosovo you could pick up a stolen AK74 for about 10-50 €, depending on the condition it was in. The black marketeers had everything. In Kosovo my team was mostly on inspection and intelligence gathering missions, so we were not allowed to carry weapons. So we picked up some guns on the black market. I bought a Walter P99 for about 100 €. It was brand new. I came to like it so much that I bought one again when I got back to Sweden. One guy in my team bought a Minimi for less then 500 €. MP5's were also very popular. You could get those for under 100 €. All stolen by NATO personel and sold to the black marketeers.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Assault (CAN) @ June 11 2002,00:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If i wanted to do something criminal i would never use a Shotgun or a pistol for it.

Assault rifles and Light Machine guns are what you need.<span id='postcolor'>

LOL, too bad more than 80% of crimes involving a gun in the U.S. are with people who use handguns.

Light Machine Guns are illegal anyway, so are full-auto assault rifles. Well, it depends on the state, but you need to have a high qualification level to buy one. People who go through the trouble to get a legal full-auto weapon usually don't commit crimes anyway.

Tyler<span id='postcolor'>

There is no 'high qualification level', only a criminal background check and a one-time $200 tax stamp to the Department of the Treasury.

Is there any limit on how big weapon you can buy in the US? Could you get away with buying, say a Howitzer or an aircraft carrier?

I heard the Kosovo Liberation Army even bought some brand new H&K G36's.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ June 11 2002,10:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Is there any limit on how big weapon you can buy in the US? Could you get away with buying, say a Howitzer or an aircraft carrier?<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, there are limits. Machine Guns, Destructive Devices, and some other types of firearms are regulated by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. Check out THIS Adobe Acrobat document for an overview.

@Mister Frag: In the US, there are levels called Classes that determine what kind of gun you can buy.

Class I: Semi-Auto rifles only

Class II: Hand guns? and semi-auto rifles

Class III: All of the above, and full auto rifles.

Some guys at this board told me that not all states follow these rules. But no specific states were named.

States also ban specific rifles. Half the states in the US ban the FN FAL. Hand guns or full auto rifles are completely banned in some other states.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ June 11 2002,19:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Assault (CAN) @ June 11 2002,00:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If i wanted to do something criminal i would never use a Shotgun or a pistol for it.

Assault rifles and Light Machine guns are what you need.<span id='postcolor'>

LOL, too bad more than 80% of crimes involving a gun in the U.S. are with people who use handguns.

Light Machine Guns are illegal anyway, so are full-auto assault rifles. Well, it depends on the state, but you need to have a high qualification level to buy one. People who go through the trouble to get a legal full-auto weapon usually don't commit crimes anyway.

Tyler<span id='postcolor'>

There is no 'high qualification level', only a criminal background check and a one-time $200 tax stamp to the Department of the Treasury.<span id='postcolor'>

or  if they wanted to rob a bank it would be ,the right person and a handful of cash tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Half the states in the US ban the FN FAL.<span id='postcolor'>

I wonder why. It's the same concept as the M-14 but that rifle isn't banned.

FN-fal is the old british army rifle but it got replaced mid 80s with the sa-80,powerful enough to be used as a big game rifle some say.

On the note of the different power each round has,i heard somewhere that the .50 can produe 1500 ft/klbs of energy.can anyonbe confirm or deny this?

FN-fal is the old british army rifle but it got replaced mid 80s with the sa-80,powerful enough to be used as a big game rifle some say.

On the note of the different power each round has,i heard somewhere that the .50 can produe 1500 ft/klbs of energy.can anyonbe confirm or deny this?

.50 calibre desert eagle i forgot to mention

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (timmy @ June 10 2002,03:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">heres the link to the article on CNN-http://www.cnn.com/US/9702/28/shootout.update/

and heres the news coverage-http://www.cnn.com/US/9702/28/shootout.update/ba.shootout.43.mov its 1.7mb/43 sec

im not sure how long the whole thing took, but ive seen the whole thing on one of those tv shows that shows police chases and bank robberies. They had AK47s and they were shooting through cars, and hitting officers. The police  saw an armormed bank truck nearby and used it to go in and get the wounded. One of the bank robbers was hit in the leg several times, by bullets that got by the armor, and then he killed himself. the other bank robber was sorrounded by police and shortly after he died of wounds. His family is suing the LAPD because they claim that they purposly didnt give him immediate medical attention.<span id='postcolor'>

I remember that. Started two huge debates:

1- Police fire power- since the police had only 9mm's and nothing powerful enough to stop the guys they had to go to sports stores and gun shops to get more powerful weapons. A bunch of people said why should the police be out gunned by the average citizen?

2- The movie "Heat" - Since the robbery bore a remarkable resemblence to the robbery in "Heat" (god I love that movie) it sparked a new round of movie violence debate.

If this has already been posted and discussed disregard....didn't go through all the pages yet biggrin.gif

in US, it's state law that usually governs firearms. although federal laws are the upper echelon, state laws are usually tougher. federal laws exist to give guidline so that each state can adjust strength of enforcement as needed.(in implementation that is)

in california, class 2 is where it stops AFAIK, Texas or Montana might go upto class 3

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Akira @ June 11 2002,22:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">1- Police fire power- since the police had only 9mm's and nothing powerful enough to stop the guys they had to go to sports stores and gun shops to get more powerful weapons. A bunch of people said why should the police be out gunned by the average citizen?

2- The movie "Heat" - Since the robbery bore a remarkable resemblence to the robbery in "Heat" (god I love that movie) it sparked a new round of movie violence debate.

If this has already been posted and discussed disregard....didn't go through all the pages yet biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

although you didn't, a lot of ppl make mistake claiming that movie HEAT was based on it.

the movie was made in 1995, the N. Hollywood shoot out was 1997.(i remember it cause i was at school cafeteria when i saw the shocking images.)

The British created their own version of the FN FAL called the L1A1. They modified the barrel and the general appearance.

The FN FAL was developed after WW2. It was the first rifle to use the 7.62x51mm cartridge. Since the German 7.92x57mm cartridge was highly contraversial because it was German.

The FN FAL was then adopted by over 80 third-world countries. Canada, and the UK also adoped their own FN FAL versions.

The US wanted no part in a third-world weapon, so they developed the M14. Which is a very unreliable weapon.

The US has very strong predijism against anything used by the third-world. So some states decided to ban the FN FAL. The AK47 was also banned through most of the US, but that ban was lifted.

The FN FAL's reliability is second only to the AK47.

The M14's poor craftmanship leads to very poor reliability.

With reports of swelling wood in rain and loose joints if unmaintained for a long period of time.

President Clinton destroyed almost 2 million M14s through his campaign, instead of donating them to other countries.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Renagade @ June 11 2002,12:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">FN-fal is the old british army rifle but it got replaced mid 80s with the sa-80,powerful enough to be used as a big game rifle some say.

.50 calibre desert eagle i forgot to mention<span id='postcolor'>

The SA-80 fires the standard 5.56mm NATO round, which is marginal even on large deer. Anyone using a 5.56mm on big game (and in the original SA-80 in particular, due to its poor reliability), is asking for trouble.

I'm not sure about the muzzle energy of the .50AE cartridge, but it is possible. The .50AE is far from the most powerful handgun cartridge, however.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FetishFool @ June 11 2002,13:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The M14's poor craftmanship leads to very poor reliability.

With reports of swelling wood in rain and loose joints if unmaintained for a long period of time.<span id='postcolor'>

Wooden furniture will do that, regardless of the rifle that it is attached to -- no news there. However, it also doesn't affect the mechanical functioning of a rifle. There are lots of AKs that have wooden furniture, and nobody seems to complain about them.

Anyway, wooden furniture might be a problem for a sniper rifle, where warping resulting from changes in temperature and humidity affect the point of impact, but for an assault or battle rifle, it isn't a critical issue.

The design of the AK47 and M14 are very different.

The M14's tolerance for warping is low.  If the wood swells too much, the mechanisms will malfunction.  That's what happened in Vietnam, at least.

But the M14 hasn't been in service long enough to determine it's reliability accurately.

The .50AE round produces a little over 1400ft-lb.  Which is powerful enough to take down big game...  Which is what the Desert Eagle is best for.

The .50AE isn't the most powerful handgun cartridge in history, but it in a very close second.  The most powerful handgun cartridge was developed in WW2 by the Germans.