Sign in to follow this  
ylli122

ArmA 3 Scripting

I think Java was chosen because of BIS developers preference not some big kick ass advantages over others languages.

btw: I see everybody put here their own lost wishes. Mine was: JavaScript - very expressive and not verbose.

btw: I see everybody put here their own lost wishes. Mine was: JavaScript - very expressive and not verbose.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of JavaScript syntax where OO is concerned. A class is not a "function", FFS! :p

Please excuse my ignorance but is it possible to influence the PhysX calculations with Java?

Please excuse my ignorance but is it possible to influence the PhysX calculations with Java?

That depends on the devs. They could, in theory, make certain parts of the PhysX simulation accessable to outside scripts (some examples off the top of my head: modifying gravity, applying force to objects etc.), but nothing is forcing them to. If you have some ideas in mind as to what could be possible in that area, it may be a good idea to make specific requests in the appropriate forum thread and the bug tracker. :)

I should think it more likely that the most influential part of PhysX calculations will be by way of config.

Thanks for your reply MadDogX. The way the vehicle is violently 'jolted' at 0:12 in the Command and Conquer Generals 2 teaser really caught my attention -

w6bg6yhyTK4

It would be incredible to see that level of physical behaviour in ARMA 3, the visual experience would be unbeleivable.

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 PM ----------

I should think it more likely that the most influential part of PhysX calculations will be by way of config.

Do modders have access to config?

This is some great news. I am certain object-oriented programming will make a huge difference, especially when it comes to scripting large projects.

Actually, one more thing:

C# is so much more powerful than Java, plus is easier to use and understand. I haven't much experience with Java.

:banghead:

pffff, whatever. It's turing complete, right?

:p

)rStrangelove;2091075']With C# you're in MS hell' date=' enough said imo.

Can't wait to see how it works out with Java, really exciting. :D[/quote']

Not necessarily, I've had lots of fun with Mono as an alternative to Microsoft's .NET - it makes C# almost as cross-platform as Java.

Java is a fantastic language, though, and I'm looking forward to having a hand at some scripting myself. It's a pity that Oracle are making such a mess of Sun's legacy.

Hi. I know I'm repeating myself but who cares. Take a look at Scala. It's better than Java (as in language) IMO. And of course, you can use existing Java stuff. Can't wait to make my Counter-Strike mod :bounce3:.

You are the perfect example of a person who posts without knowing anything about the subject.

I should make you a .JPG medal for that.

Until then:

That was a bit unnecessary.

You know why they picked it:

http://www.devtopics.com/most-popular-programming-languages/

Java is pretty much the most popular language out there.

Just be happy that we aren't stuck with SQS/SQF anymore...

EDIT: For the record, I prefer C# as well, but like I said earlier... Java is way better than SQS/SQF

Edited by GossamerSolid

I think that the great thing about using Java is that it's a directly transferable skill - learning enough to script in ARMA 3 could provide an entry-point to Android, desktop or even embedded applications. Now, that's a bit of a simplification - there are many unique traits to Java applications on each of these devices - but there are not many languages that have Java's versatility. Apart from, perhaps, C - that can compile on anything. But C has a pretty high learning curve beyond the most basic of applications.

Do modders have access to config?

Oh yeah. In fact it's the thing that's most easily accessible & adjustable by modders.

C# is so much more powerful than Java, plus is easier to use and understand.

Java and C# are very similar. Similar because Microsoft developed C# on the principles of Java. They also improved and simplified many areas they saw as being unnecessary or confusing. Thus .NET is a very compact framework for Windows computers and in that simplicity comes its ease of use and power. However its full functionality is only available on windows computers (despite Mono, which is missing several core aspects of .NET which are being developed in a separate project called Olive).

Java is a decent language, with a wealth of knowledge about it out there. It is truly multiplatform, runs on the most widely used mobile OS, is used in satellites, robots, embedded software and even the Mars Rover. Personally I call that pretty powerful. I prefer C# myself, but that is due to its compactness and ease of use, and nothing to do with its power. If you want power, you need C++, and if you want real fast performance then you probably need to use C. However neither of these are tenable for a scripting platform ... Java will do the job just fine.

Thanks DMarkwick.:) The technicalities of scripting is bewildering to me and probably beyond my brain's capability, however all this discussion about Java has really aroused my curiosity so I'm going to do my very first Java tutorial tonight.

If you want power, you need C++, and if you want real fast performance then you probably need to use C.

I agree 100%. C++ is the most powerful, yet is it really viable for people to learn a language, which is super powerful yet becoming archaic? Your right, although the main preference is C#, Java will do fine ( although mono is becoming better all the time).

FOR BEST RESULTS TRY 8086 ASSEMBLY LANGUAGE! :D

well atleast they are not scraping .sqf and adding in Java, it would be much more complicated with just Java without the .sqf for more common applications like mission scripting.

I suspect that Java will probably be available only on the modding side - Probably some sort of option to run a mod's config and source code either through the java compiler and VM or through Arma's compiler. It seems too complicated having sqf commands like compileJava or callJava when you probably wont be messing with Arma source code in Java (unless Im wrong)

I suspect that Java will probably be available only on the modding side - Probably some sort of option to run a mod's config and source code either through the java compiler and VM or through Arma's compiler. It seems too complicated having sqf commands like compileJava or callJava when you probably wont be messing with Arma source code in Java (unless Im wrong)

I dunno, I think Java should be running alongside SQF without needing to run an optinal config. If you had to run an optional config, that'd ruin the usage of Java as it won't be available by default.

Can I get one of the moderators to delete this thread please. Thanks

Now I am disappointed :(

I just realized Java doesn't have ability to preprocess, or compile at run time (atleast not in a way familiar in sqf, and when I read it it didn't look like a pretty workaround) so no dynamic code :(

I am not really a fan of Java, but Java would open nearly boundless possibilities for mission scripting.

Problem i see here is: How will BIS make sure that Mission functions will not influence Data outside of Arma?

We already have a massive hacking Problem in Arma and i dont like the idea that i will download a bunch of unknown Java Scripts on my PC everytime when i download a mission. Specially because this Code would be written in a full functional Language.

The big advantage of .sqf is that Arma is unable to get acess to files outside of the Arma directory and more importand that Arma cant change this files!

I dont know if there is a possiblity to deny Java to get acess to Files outside of the Arma directory, but i would be happy if someone could answer this question.

Yeah i wouldnt want to have a script which said run VIRUS.exe when bluefor went through a trigger :)