Sign in to follow this  
Nicholas

Automatic Updates

Should ArmA III have automatic updates?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Should ArmA III have automatic updates?

• Forced Updates
    • Optional Updates
    • Do not inform users of new updates
    • Other (Explain)

I just thought of a really great idea for ArmA III: Automatic Updates! Most games have an automatic update feature so the user will be aware of an update. Currently, with ArmA you never know of an update unless you visit the website to check. I think there should be some sort of system which will inform the user such as - "A new update is available, do you wish to download and install now?" (Yes or No)

What do you think? I think it would help with fragmentation of the community. As someone on 1.00 will not see the same servers or be compatible with mods for 1.60.

Optional, as forced updates might prevent you from playing on dedicated servers that have not been updated.

The way it is now, I don't want to be forced to download anything against my will

I'm mixed, I put forced because I'm evil. :p

1) Optional means you can wait for modders to update their mod and the errors that came with new patches for them. I.e. bug fixes.

2) Optional means less 'universal' player base as they'll be all over the joint with difference patches and betas.

On the other hand forced means we will have this universal setting but we'll have to put up with all the crap that comes with force updating in terms of modding and random bugs that may come along. One good thing... it might force BIS to actually bug test their SHAIT!!! :D (Joke, kids, don't start a flamewar)

If you want people to know about a new patch, why not take the middle ground? Don't force people to download the update, just have the game do a quick check to see if there is an updated version, and if there is just have a notice box pop up saying "New Update Available! Visit www.arma3.com/updates to download the newest version." with an option to say "No, let me keep playing," preferably with an option to put in the command line to stop checking in case you want to stay at a certain patch without having the notice pop up every time you start the game.

People get notified of new patches with an easy download option and yet nobody is forced to download and update anything they don't want. Bam, problem solved.

EDIT: Didn't know it would automatically make it a hyperlink, and even better yet it does lead to an updates page, ha!

If you want people to know about a new patch, why not take the middle ground? Don't force people to download the update, just have the game do a quick check to see if there is an updated version, and if there is just have a notice box pop up saying "New Update Available! Visit www.arma3.com/updates

Yeah I agree that's a good middle ground.

PS: what FPS do you get on Arma?

Definately Optional! Imagine what happens if there is an update that breaks something and you have to wait for the hotfix....

EDIT: Didn't know it would automatically make it a hyperlink, and even better yet it does lead to an updates page, ha!

I did some research and found out that those words are just a placeholder text.

It's called "Lorem ipsum" and helps to visualize the layout.

On-topic:

An in-game solution to display that new patches are available would be an outstanding idea but it should always stay optional. :)

Optional obviously. Updates aren't flawless and i only install them once proven not being game breaking. Despite beta patches testing.

Optional. Perhaps in the form of a news ticker from AAN - which is in hibernation until a new RSS feed (or other format, but XML is already supported) from BI arrives. Maybe even customizing RSS feed so you can get news from fansites - and/or something like BOTA:49 suggested. ;)

Edited by colossus

I vote optional. The game should inform players that an update is available. Updating the game should be possible using a manual exe or an in game download system.

Optional, but somewhere in game have it so it tells you the latest version/ your version, as well as providing a link to a list of places to get the patch.

Is it just me or do I remember that the game does notify you when there's a new official patch available?

Or was this disabled / broken at some point?

It was available in A1 and the on screen warning annoyed people.

With a better interface integration it would be useful though.

Have it the top right corner or something like the Second life browser does, and not as an annoying popup.

IMO it could be integrated with "Expansions" item (http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o55/HawkHurst/arma2oa.jpg). So not only game updater but also addons updater (it such will be implemented).

You could manually request "Check for updates" or the game would check it in background when idle (some checkbox disabling automatic checking would be nice too).

Optional autoupdates (like Steam). I've got better things to do than check, download and install updates to everything all day.

Optional.

Make somekind of official launcher that has a RSS for oficial patches\betas and can also recieve feed from sites like Armaholic or Armainfo for mods and so on. The program can also work as a mod manager and other things that we have nowadays as a 3rd party.

Something like THIS!

:yay: :cool:

Great concept Smurf!

It would be absolutely awesome if the expansion menu would contain all those elements.

The news feed via a community site is also a very good idea. (maybe something like the GTA social club)

good ideas :)

There's no real need for such a system since it takes away from the development of things that are a lot more important, and auto updates are quite minisqule when you could just take a look every few months.

Just a message at the main screen saying theirs new content and Updates available currently would be nice addition.

Automatic patching and stuff though I would decline.