Sign in to follow this  
Tonci87

ARMA 2: OA beta build 88027

:cool:

What's with the driver sounding the horn when I get into the GRAD as passenger? If I was a little closer to the enemy FOB, the horn could have alerted them!

It's a little odd how many rockets it takes to destroy those last two MLRS vehicles.

yjiuG3ADlBs

Fog above 80% makes the player blind but AI is still able to kill one from distances over 200m. AI should be able to hear stuff but not to give a precise shot in dense fog at certain range.

Setting AI skill to high/highest still makes an AI machinegunner to an sniper (single shot, no burst or auto) at close and long ranges. Give AI with machinegunes a short/long burst mode + proper working suppressive fire mode.

AI pilots still overfly their targets instead using missiles, rockets, bombs from safer distance and altitude. Let AI pilots be able to slowdown, maneuver and attack/fire from safer distances (effective weapon range).

CIT? Never heard of it. :rolleyes:

There is nothing worth filing in that video, in my opinion anyway. If someone disagrees, let me know and I'll make a ticket.

I made that video in tribute to recent beta discussions regarding the possibility/efficacy of GRAD/MLRS direct fire.

The GRAD artillery computer takes some cool math. If one uses indirect GRAD fire from the starting position of the GRAD in the video against the FOB on the Utes runway (~500-750m away), the rockets are fired nearly straight up in the air and take about 85 seconds to reach their targets. Those rockets must reach the stratosphere on their journey! :D

Although I know that those quoting 'USE THE CIT' have our best interests at heart - it DOES become wearing after a while.

I'm sure that BIS can, and do, read these beta forums too - it's not bloody difficult to navigate to after all.

If someone posts something up here, in that newest beta thread, then devs can read and action it ..... it SHOULDN'T need a ticket.

If BIS need to take note of the problem .... there is always paper and pencil - works for me!

Although I know that those quoting 'USE THE CIT' have our best interests at heart - it DOES become wearing after a while.

I'm sure that BIS can, and do, read these beta forums too - it's not bloody difficult to navigate to after all.

If someone posts something up here, in that newest beta thread, then devs can read and action it ..... it SHOULDN'T need a ticket.

If BIS need to take note of the problem .... there is always paper and pencil - works for me!

Ha, look at it from the other side as well, it gets rather tiresome to have to keep asking to create tickets. :P

Given that tickets are the preferred and supported way to get changes implemented and bugs fixed..

A ticket by itself is a lot easier to handle than some post in some thread(s), but it also locks you into preferred workflow, and requests details that are needed to improve the chance of reproducing the issue and reducing time wasted on requesting needed information, or making wrong conclusions because of missing details etc.

Of course devs and cit managers alike can spend valuable time on huge forums with huge threads, but it is inefficient and IMO should be prevented as much as possible.

Discussing the issue on the forums, in reference to the CIT ticket, is certainly a good idea and can assist in improving the quality of the ticket, by repro confirmation and additional findings etc.

The ticket will generally only be assigned and processed by BIS once it is set to Assigned status, which occurs after the ticket has reached sufficient quality, so there's no problem in reporting uncertainties to get other people's feedback and findings.

Have a read at https://dev-heaven.net/projects/cis/wiki/CIT

Details, repro steps/mission, rpt/crash files are vital and invaluable for most issues.

I think we can safely say that the CIT is the defacto standard to get things done with BIS, and it has proven itself time and again, not the least of which is the recent v1.60 release, which is a great collaboration between community, CIT and BIS.

It is not hard to create a ticket, especially after doing so a couple of times.

But most of the time people seem to need a nudge (or simply unaware), yes again those bastard CIT guys and supporters who keep rubbing "please post a ticket with details to the CIT" in your face ;)

Think of it the other way around; create a ticket and refer to it in the forums, and there's no need to keep rubbing it in everyone's face? ;)

Edited by Sickboy

@Sickboy:

Very good points, well said.

I just posted my first CIT (with some assistance from Hanzu, who kindly added some information I'd missed out). It isn't at all difficult, doesn't take much longer than writing a post for the forum.

Excellent system, and it's great to have such an efficient pipeline to the devs to help them in improving this brilliant game.

Ought to modify the post a bit & make it a sticky (pace, Placebo)

BR

Orcinus

beta thread is the pub, CIT is the office :)

Streamlined and standardized processes keep workflows on a higher level of efficiency and so does CIT work. We mustn't forget BIS is a company which - like all companies - needs defined structures and standards not to collapse in chaos.

On the other hand it's ok of course to post issues here before ticketing @CIT imo, because here's where most of us players look (maybe at first here), free discussion (pub-like) is more likely here than elsewhere, different thoughts pop up. Issues become looked at from different point of views which could be too escalating, indeed, for CIT.

So in the good end both platforms ("pub" & "office") have their very good sides.

cheers, off duty now ;)

The point is that without repro steps and a simple demo mission most issue reports cannot be analyzed by BI.

Waste of YOUR time and frustrating for BI.

beta thread is the pub, CIT is the office :)

that is what CIT is NOT !! its not office, its "Community Issue Tracker"

so your first place to report a bug , thats going from community directly to BIS.

Can we please include the hotfix version with these 1.60 compatible betas, it's important for servers and PR players

that is what CIT is NOT !! its not office, its "Community Issue Tracker"

so your first place to report a bug , thats going from community directly to BIS.

no need for shouting ;) I know the meaning of the abbreviation.

and what you try to tell me is exactly what I meant with "office" -> the possibility for community porting issues into BIS' bureau, with other words: into their office

FPDR

Can we please include the hotfix version with these 1.60 compatible betas, it's important for servers and PR players

You can extract a beta with 7zip, and generally if you can install mods on a server, you can install a beta there too.

---------- Post added at 11:32 ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 ----------

Documented at http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Manual_Beta_Installation

Beta thread is for discussing released beta builds, providing feedback and reporting issues with the beta patches. ;)

Would be bad if BIS devs only look into 3rd party bugtracker and not into their own official forum.

Or is this forum moving into CM forum policy where people were merely allowed to cheer the game & devs?

It should not matter where bugs and issues are reported but it should matter that most of them get fixed asap. I guess BIS devs are able to find/read about and fix issues/bugs which don't need extra step-by-step repro's. :)

Imho its more a well known motivation issue to fix old+new bugs instead of making something new and creative...

CIT is maybe 3rd party but it is officially used and supported by BIS, and has proven itself time and... ehr, read my post.

Anyways, its your time to waste :D

Beta thread is for discussing released beta builds, providing feedback and reporting issues with the beta patches. ;)

Would be bad if BIS devs only look into 3rd party bugtracker and not into their own official forum.

Or is this forum moving into CM forum policy where people were merely allowed to cheer the game & devs?

It should not matter where bugs and issues are reported but it should matter that most of them get fixed asap. I guess BIS devs are able to find/read about and fix issues/bugs which don't need extra step-by-step repro's. :)

Imho its more a well known motivation issue to fix old+new bugs instead of making something new and creative...

Seems unduly cynical - the devs do read these threads and respond to posts that grab their attention. But there's a lot of noise, as in any forum. For myself, I would rather they spent the bulk of their time (as I'm sure they are doing, judging by the flood of betas!) attending to known, well defined and documented issues than wading through all the posts (including this one, ofc :p).

I've see no evidence at all of BIS attempting to reducethe forums to sycophancy (not that I have time to read all the forums). Can you provide any examples?

BR

Orcinus

Hi guys I have a question regarding Fxaa I have disabled the regular AA and would like to know what is a good Fxaa setting between 0-17 to get rid off jaggies but keeping good performance my gpu is Nvidia 590.

The forums are here to help us discuss the issues and that's important. However, CIT allows all the information about a particular bug to be put in one place, it also allows you to upload repro missions and place them right alongside the bug they are demonstrating. To ask the devs to trawl the forums looking for bugs and related comments is a bit much really.

Also, we are extremely lucky here. I don't know of any other game where the community have access to the official bug tracker, let alone having the ability to add issues and vote on them. The 1.6 release proved the worth of having it as a lot of bugs got fixed towards the end that probably wouldn't have otherwise.

I have been a support dev for many, many years and the job would be impossible without an issue tracker of some kind.

Also, we are extremely lucky here. I don't know of any other game where the community have access to the official bug tracker, let alone having the ability to add issues and vote on them. The 1.6 release proved the worth of having it as a lot of bugs got fixed towards the end that probably wouldn't have otherwise.

I have been a support dev for many, many years and the job would be impossible without an issue tracker of some kind.

I always think about this one when i'm a biy disappointed :D

I think you're very unfair to BIS devs. Most threads have several pages with information scattered around multiple posts from multiple people. Devs could, for sure, use their time to comb through all of them and collect the info but that would take a fair amount of time - time that they can use to fix well-known issues instead.

If players take their time (about 10-15 minutes at most) to compile this info for the devs in the CIT, the devs won't have to waste an hour or two to do the same. (The player already knows the details, so typing it is just 15 minutes as opposed to a dev who has to hunt down bits of information.)

BIS people already proved that they follow CIT tickets so we can give them the courtesy of making it easier for them to use their time to fix problems. Seeing how it's a nice bunch, I think they deserve our help for which they give us a better game in turn.

Agreed. Most dev teams use an internal tracker and have some dedicated community douche who doesn't actually develop anything sift through forum noise to post the internal bugs. Having a community accessible tracker is the best thing ever.

The thread has gone away from original topic so much that I also want to contribute to opinions.

EDIT: Moved my feedback to a place where I think it belongs.

Edited by Hanzu

Hanzu post your BI forum suggestions in the moderators section.

You could also ask a mod to move the discussion in one of the stickies of this subforum.

The redmine search is not good right. However you can do a few things:

1) Use a browser tool bar like: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/redmine-toolbar/

2) Use google with site parameter like: keyword site:dev-heaven.net

3) Use (firefox) smart search:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Using_keyword_searches

http://johnbokma.com/firefox/keymarks-explained.html

Hanzu post your BI forum suggestions in the moderators section.

You could also ask a mod to move the discussion in one of the stickies of this subforum.

The redmine search is not good right. However you can do a few things:

1) Use a browser tool bar like: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/redmine-toolbar/

2) Use google with site parameter like: keyword site:dev-heaven.net

3) Use (firefox) smart search:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Using_keyword_searches

http://johnbokma.com/firefox/keymarks-explained.html

Thanks for the tips will try tohose browser things. I edited my last post and moved opinions to another place.