Sign in to follow this  
magnus28

question about bank sensitivity with joystick vs. mouse.

Hi, i'm an avid flyer with mostly planes and jets in arma 2.

I like flying with my cyborg evo, and I have my joystic set up nicely, however I notice that when I bank left and right with joytick (notably when performing barrel rolls) it does so more slowly, compared to using the mouse.

Using the mouse I can barrel roll 3x the speed then with my joystick.

I've went to the controls section and customization, then played with the X axis sensitivity and maxed it out, all it seemed to do was make my plane unstable and wobble left and right.

other controls such as pitch and yaw seemed to be matched while using mouse or joystick.

I like the fact that with a mouse, i can move it slowly for a gentle bank, or jerk it suddenly and perform 3 complete revolutions almost instantly. My joystick doesn't respond as such, and moving up sensitivity doesn't allow me to bank any faster.

I figured if there was a way to just change that axis, I could perform quick manuevers to avoid enemy planes (yes i'm playing the I44 mod). but still leave the others at default for precision bombing and strafing runs.

any suggestions?

thanks

Same problem for me in helos. Pitch is ok, but roll is terrible on the stick, I have to move it an inch left or right(X52) to start any input. As far as I can see there is only sensitivity sliders for the mouse.

How does the TOH handle these things? I'm sure it must be better than Arma? If so I hope Bis can get these things across to Arma, preferably before Arma3.

Another thing that is annoying with flight in Arma is the way some options cut analogue throttle input so you start falling like a rock when you start typing in chat, open the map or look at the player list. This does my head in, does TOH also have this annoyance?

Imagine the situation: on a server with 40 people. Some idiot has an open mic blasting irritating noise into my ear hole while I'm being shot at, or making a landing. I want to mute him, I open the Player list and start falling like a rock, too many players to find him...close the list gain altitude. Open the list again, find him and mute. Exit and regain alt before I become one with the landscape...bloody annoying.

Hi, i'm an avid flyer with mostly planes and jets in arma 2.

I like flying with my cyborg evo, and I have my joystic set up nicely, however I notice that when I bank left and right with joytick (notably when performing barrel rolls) it does so more slowly, compared to using the mouse.

Using the mouse I can barrel roll 3x the speed then with my joystick.

I've went to the controls section and customization, then played with the X axis sensitivity and maxed it out, all it seemed to do was make my plane unstable and wobble left and right.

other controls such as pitch and yaw seemed to be matched while using mouse or joystick.

I like the fact that with a mouse, i can move it slowly for a gentle bank, or jerk it suddenly and perform 3 complete revolutions almost instantly. My joystick doesn't respond as such, and moving up sensitivity doesn't allow me to bank any faster.

I figured if there was a way to just change that axis, I could perform quick manuevers to avoid enemy planes (yes i'm playing the I44 mod). but still leave the others at default for precision bombing and strafing runs.

any suggestions?

thanks

Open your user .cfg and apply value changes manually. The default settign is horrible for sticks and the roll axis is bugged.

you might let it look like this:

guid="A8E049C0-EAE0-11E0-800A-444553540000";

name="Saitek X52 Pro Flight Controller";

offset=256;

isXInput=0;

sensitivity[]={1.8,1,0.5,0.5,0.5,0,0.5,0.5,1.8,1,2,0.5,0.5,0,0.5,0.5};

mode="Custom";

Edited by Beagle

thanks beagle,

any suggestion on what to change the X sensitivity too ? Looking for a reference point to adjust from there.

seany,

I do hate the drop like a rock effect when you open a map, and such

cant believe BI has let that go for so long!

beagle, I just tried pasting what your sensitivity was for joystick - no change.

If I mess with the in-game joystick sensitivity, it messes up my other axis'.

I just want to increase the Bank sensitivity so i can do barrel rolls fast like when i use the mouse. I have no idea what sensitivity to change to influence this axis only.

any suggestions?

Edited by magnus28

iirc there is an error in that sensitivity line. There should not be a space in the 2nd last value.

Here is the Bohemia info on Joystick sensitivity:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Joystick_sensitivity_settings

This is what I'm using:

joystickSensitivity[]={1,1,1,0.5,0.5,0.5,0.5,0.5,1,1,1,0.5,0.5,0.5,0.5,0.5};

----------------

Interesting, I notice that the forum adds a space to my string too. Dunno why that should happen. Anyway, be aware of that. There should be no spaces!

Edited by -=seany=-

Interesting, I notice that the forum adds a space to my string too.

Forum thinks it's just text and formats it as such.... try the "Code" tag option - that should preserve integrity of parameter lines like these...

B

sorry I'm resurrecting an old thread, but still can't find sensitivity settings for joystick bank that banks as fast as mouse does..

was wondering if anyone rectified this since i've posted over 3 years ago.. I'm looking for other's who have had the same problem and have played with the settings and got as close as possible to mouse sensitivity regarding the banks..

sorry I'm resurrecting an old thread, but still can't find sensitivity settings for joystick bank that banks as fast as mouse does..

was wondering if anyone rectified this since i've posted over 3 years ago.. I'm looking for other's who have had the same problem and have played with the settings and got as close as possible to mouse sensitivity regarding the banks..

Hi everyone I need some help.

I am having issues with helicopters turn speeds using a joystick or xbox controller compared to a keyboard. Don’t worry I know how to fly

joystick - logitech extreme 3d pro

microsoft xbox 360 controller

wolfclaw keyboard (also have tested logitech keyboard)

Mouse and keyboard vs joystick. With the mouse and keyboard you can throw the heli around but when I switch to joystick its very slow to turn and move the helicopter around.

All axis are affected but for simplicity I will just use the pedals as an example.

I have played with the sensitivity of the joystick, this affects how much you need to physically move the joystick to get %of movement, but in the end 100% is 100% no matter how fast or far you have to move the joystick and should be full let's say left pedal which should turn at the same rate as using a key for left pedal. This is not the case, in fact it's half the turn rate of using the keyboard.

I have adjusted the sensitivity from min to max. I have adjusted the (what seems to be the voltage) from 1 all the way to 3 on all axis.

Found this and edited the config from 0 -3 in increments of .5 (restarting the game each time)

forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?129822-question-about-bank-sensitivity-with-joystick-vs-mouse&highlight=joystick

community.bistudio.com/wiki/Joystick_sensitivity_settings

The wiki states that value = pow but 100% full left pedal should be 100% and exactly the same as the keyboard.

I started to think it was my joystick (new by the way) so I got a brand new Microsoft Xbox 360 controller to see it that was the issue. Had exactly the same issue. Slow to turn, half the speed of the keyboard.

Now here is the interesting thing, if I use the joystick and xbox 360 controller together (at the same time) hitting both left pedal Bingo, it works at the same speed as the keyboard. Also works for all the other axis if I use both controllers.

I have removed and used only one controller at a time to see if it was expecting 2 inputs, no change. And nothing seems to affect the speed of the keyboard.

So am I don’t something wrong? is there a solution to this which I have clearly overlooked?

Thanks in advance for your help

This may be too late, but as one of you discovered, if you ever configured two controllers to do the same thing (e.g. bank left), each controller will yield only HALF the input, of half the turning speed. 

This is true even if the unused device is DISABLED and UNPLUGGED!!!  Apparently it's just the numbers in your profile that causes this. 

You have to clear the second controller's settings out of your user profile document.