Sign in to follow this  
MJR. Gastovski

Fighter planes

In the first series of OFP games there is not exactly a lot of planes is there? there was the A10 and the Frogfoot but thats it. I mean where is the F16, Harrier, Hercules, etc?

I think they should put in a lot more planes

Please do a check of the forum and read any of the HUNDREDS of threads regarding this subject.

I certainly wouldn't be concerned that you're the only one with this thought MJR. Gastovski. tounge.gif

as has been said in more than a few posts: OFP is a soldier sim, not a flightsim, its not meant to revolve around planes and helicopters, more the infantry...and I for one think there is a good balance now between the types

Sorry about the Hercules thing guess I got carried away but I haven't been on this furum long and I din't know there were topics about this already.

Besides what are some of you thinking that the game should only be based around the infantry? it's the vehicles that make this game a first in history, the first game ever where you can control EVERY vehicle in the game and that I think is what makes OFP a unique masterpiece. I mean being a member of the special forces, only 3 in one group and 3 in the other, alone 6 men take out every Soviet soldier in the village only 2 survivors left and a Blackhawk comes down and picks you up. I have NEVER felt the same way about that in a video game before.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Acidcrash @ June 09 2002,16:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">as has been said in more than a few posts: OFP is a soldier sim, not a flightsim,<span id='postcolor'>

Hell No!

OFP Is not "just" a Soldier Sim

OFP is:

Air Sim

Tank Sim

Vehicle Sim

Infantry Sim

That was the target of this game to combine most of every sim in one game,

im not saying to only make Jets and Choppers but we can do a

25% 25% 25% and 25% of all

OFP is most likely a Multi-Sim

Fighter planes would be cool, but they sport long range missles, the aim120 and the r77 and whatnot. These missles would be useless, since there is no way to target 25 miles out.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (STS_SolidSnake @ June 09 2002,19:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Acidcrash @ June 09 2002,16:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">as has been said in more than a few posts: OFP is a soldier sim, not a flightsim,<span id='postcolor'>

Hell No!

OFP Is not "just" a Soldier Sim

OFP is:

Air Sim

Tank Sim

Vehicle Sim

Infantry Sim

That was the target of this game to combine most of every sim in one game,

im not saying to only make Jets and Choppers but we can do a

25% 25% 25% and 25% of all

OFP is most likely a Multi-Sim<span id='postcolor'>

i'd say more along lines of this.

Infantry sim: 70%

Air Sim: 10%

Tank Sim: 10%

Vehicle Sim: 10%

It's more along the line of a infantry sim and vehicle/aircraft arcady shooter. The flight dynamics and system modelling isn't even close, and it doesn't try to be close. It's designed for someone to jump into and start firing away and there's nothing wrong with that. I just look for more substance when I want to fly or drive a tank.

COLINMAN

They really just added the A-10 so they could say it was a plane sim too. F-15s etc would be cool for a while but not particularly useful as they go way way too fast they could do the island in about 7 secs and target at ranges unnatainable with OFPs engine. If your gonna add planes add slow more tactical ones such as C-130s Bear bombers maybe? I cant think of an equivelent american bomber to the bear or badger, so erm not a B-52 something else? Fill me in I know about brittish forces

We could put in BLU-82s and blow up half a kilometer... tounge.gif

You are kidding, right? Fighters and jets seems to be all people with Oxygen are releasing... confused.gif

N00b F16 pilot #1: How do I fly this thing?

N00b F16 pilot #2: What was that?confused.gif?confused.gif?

N00b F16 pilot #3: I think it was Malden...

N00b F16 pilot #2: Then we gotta turn around, gogogo!!

N00b F16 pilot #1: HOW DO I FLY THIS THISDFING confused.gif?!!!!!!

N00b F16 pilot #3: U r flying it right now dude..

N00b F16 pilot #1: ##¤%¤% This game suxxor..

N00bs, I mean you no harm.. biggrin.gif

I think OFP is a complete battlefield sim biggrin.gif

All thats missing is naval wink.gif

you mean you've never had a battle with dozens of small PT boats? destroyer or something might be nice, drive your T-80 too close to the beach and get opened up on by a MK-45

It would be ok to have actual aircraft instead of just editing the ones already there (A10 and SU25). I got an addon that had 3 versions of the SU25 as an AA, AG and something else. The SU25 is a tank killer like the A10, not an AA system (to my knowlage anyway) it would be good to have new models of interceptors which I think might be ok. A good mission trying to stop enemy planes from wiping out your armor. The SU25 AA missiles are damn good but I don't think its suppost to be the SU25 firing them. Maybe its a good idea not to have so many aircraft in OFP but at least an interceptor would be ok. Having air duels would be great.

The air duels I have are mainly slow-paced, turning cannon battles between my Su-25 and a chopper. I think the Apache (set at high skill setting) makes a nice opponent for the ol' Frogfoot. Music makes a good atmosphere when 'fighting'. Anyone else do this or similar?

There is no point in adding fighter aircrafts to the game.

If you want to fly fighters, take a look at Lock On - Modern Air Combat. It will have A-10, Su-25, Su27, F15, F16, Mig-29.

OFP is a battlefield simulation with focus on ground war.

Fighters have no place in this. I would rather see some descent SAMs instead. And naval units of course, as battle takes place on islands.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SlaFs @ June 10 2002,23:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I would rather see some descent SAMs instead. And naval units of course, as battle takes place on islands.<span id='postcolor'>

There is a BMP SAM addon. But I would not mind seeing the ZRK-SD Romb or some similar missile air defence system. Not sure if it fits in 1985. I would not go nuts with aircraft but having one interceptor would be ok, altho I do not mind using the SU25 as an AA system. I do not want to add the entire air force into the game.

A few small naval vessels would be ok.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SpetsnazWarriorX @ June 10 2002,21:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The air duels I have are mainly slow-paced, turning cannon battles between my Su-25 and a chopper. I think the Apache (set at high skill setting) makes a nice opponent for the ol' Frogfoot. Music makes a good atmosphere when 'fighting'. Anyone else do this or similar?<span id='postcolor'>

I have flown missions like this in my little SU25 AA aircraft against a number of choppers and A10s and the AA missiles hit everytime. But I have done a similar thing with just the cannon.

Ofp is the best Infantry sim (into which i include light vehicles such as jeeps and trucks) ever - hands down - no argument.

Ofp is a very sub-par Armor Sim (no barrel stabilization - laser rangefinding etc... on modern tanks) but will do in a pinch

Ofp is the absolute worst flight sim ever (most could eat a floppy disk and puke a better flight sim) The helicopters make sense in the game, they are slow and dont traverse an island in several seconds - the A-10 and Su25 even make sense as their primary task is often CAS. But dont mistake the flight models and controls of OFP aircraft with those of a real flight sim or even one that came out 10 years ago.

uf u wanna make aircraft make thigs like training planes single prop plane kinda things biggrin.gif

No, I flew Cessnas in real life, briefly (I will resume my lessons when I get a job.  *sigh*).  It's far, far easier to fly in real life planes than it is in the game.  They do not need to make any more planes for Operation Flashpoint, and doing so would, as has been pointed out, be impractical (consider the size of the islands in Operation Flashpoint). They do, however, need to make the existing ones more realistic or, at the very least, easier to fly.

[Edit: Spelling]

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hardliner @ June 11 2002,18:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SpetsnazWarriorX @ June 10 2002,21:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The air duels I have are mainly slow-paced, turning cannon battles between my Su-25 and a chopper. I think the Apache (set at high skill setting) makes a nice opponent for the ol' Frogfoot. Music makes a good atmosphere when 'fighting'. Anyone else do this or similar?<span id='postcolor'>

I have flown missions like this in my little SU25 AA aircraft against a number of choppers and A10s and the AA missiles hit everytime. But I have done a similar thing with just the cannon.<span id='postcolor'>

I like to fight hinds in kiowas biggrin.gif