Sign in to follow this  
nettrucker

Any interesting books to recommend?

ooo i have some more interesting books to read:

1) Assaults of mad penguins on south African coast, I.D.Iot,

2) Beauty of magma chamber during oxidation process of iron , Henry Henry Henry Jr.

3) Sexual life of insects in wooden coffin, Dr. Alban,

4) Proctology in theory , H.Kitty,

5) Ayyyiiii, woyyyyyyyy, huaaaaaaaaaaayyy - shouting in Karate Hiromiro Okiwakajakanaka

6) Woman - users manual Mr. God,

7) Technique of playing trumpets in Saxonia in first half of XIX century

8) Is 1 kg of steel heavier than 1 kg of air and other weird issues Thales from Millet, Closet from Bakelite

9) Analysis of military importance of puddles, kitchen sinks and other small basins for naval personnel

10) Influence of Bon Jovi on suicides among elephants

11) Build yourself - F16 block 52

12) Ill mouses and frogs in comparison to Newfoundland migration of plumbers in years 1841-1847

13) Dolly Parton - i was cloned Horror

14) Stress-less education of kids, part II, farting during dinner

15) Genetic experiments for beginners

16 Recycling uranium from pencils - for beginners

As an OPFOR guy and asymmetric warfare fan in BI simulations, I would recommend:

"La guerra de guerrillas" (Guerrilla warfare). Ernesto (che) Guevara de la Serna. This is the real life "Dslyecxi's guide" for 3rd world OPFOR faction fans,

possible link:

http://torrentz.eu/df6308938c9a7c1ed67e7822d074f4baf6043ea1

"Guerrilla warfare" by Mao tse tung

https://ronna-afghan.harmonieweb.org/CTCA/Shared%20Documents/Mao%20Tse-Tung%20-%20On%20Guerilla%20Warfare%20-%20FMFRP%2012-18.pdf

And remember, deceased Communist pals do not give a damn if you download their teachings without paying author rights ;) so keep searching if the links do not take you to the right place.

Edited by -=Borz=-
errors in grammar and links

If you've played any of the STALKER games, or seen the film Stalker, then "Roadside Picnic" is a pretty good read. Inspired the film and obviously heavily influences the games (Especially the first). It's a pretty short book too so is quite nice if you want a quick read at some point.

Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky

ooo i have some more interesting books to read:

1) Assaults of mad penguins on south African coast, I.D.Iot,

2) Beauty of magma chamber during oxidation process of iron , Henry Henry Henry Jr.

3) Sexual life of insects in wooden coffin, Dr. Alban,

4) Proctology in theory , H.Kitty,

5) Ayyyiiii, woyyyyyyyy, huaaaaaaaaaaayyy - shouting in Karate Hiromiro Okiwakajakanaka

6) Woman - users manual Mr. God,

7) Technique of playing trumpets in Saxonia in first half of XIX century

8) Is 1 kg of steel heavier than 1 kg of air and other weird issues Thales from Millet, Closet from Bakelite

9) Analysis of military importance of puddles, kitchen sinks and other small basins for naval personnel

10) Influence of Bon Jovi on suicides among elephants

11) Build yourself - F16 block 52

12) Ill mouses and frogs in comparison to Newfoundland migration of plumbers in years 1841-1847

13) Dolly Parton - i was cloned Horror

14) Stress-less education of kids, part II, farting during dinner

15) Genetic experiments for beginners

16 Recycling uranium from pencils - for beginners

There some real heavy gold here....comic gold.

Currently reading "Chickenhawk" by Robert Mason. Mason was a slick UH-1 pilot in Vietnam with the Air Cav. And boy does he have some horrors to tell! Well recommended!

I'll re-recommend Fire Strike 7/9 along with PELHAM. It is the best book to come out of Afghan so far for me.

I posted this on Havoc Company's forum a while back. It's missing a a good few books I've read since but sums up the memorable ones quite well:

Bullet Magnet - Mick Flynn ***

The story of a household cavalry officer. Covers the Falklands to Iraq and Afghan. Some epic action to be told!

3 PARA - Patrick Bishop ***

&

Ground truth - Patrick Bishop ***

Both of these cover the story of 3 PARA in Afghan. Essential literature for your para boys.

Apache - Ed Macy *****

&

Hellfire - Ed Macy ***

The story of an Apache pilot in Afghan. Also covers a lot of important stuff on flying military helos in general. Apache also covers the siege of Jugroom fort, the action for which the AAC's Apaches and Ed Macy are famous for.

Attack State Red - Richard Kemp ****

Covers the actions of the 1st Battalion, Royal Anglian regiment.

Sniper One - Dan Mills *****

If you haven't read this, you haven't lived. Simple as that! A military classic.

Barefoot Soldier - Johnson Beharry VC *****

The story of a VC holder. Another must read. A bare insight into the brutal action on the streets of Iraq.

Fire Strike 7/9 - Paul Grahame *****

The story of a JTAC who declared Broken Arrow in Afghan. A tale of great courage and skill under fire. Really shows how much power a JTAC wields on the battlefield, and how decisive the actions of one man can be.

Joint Force Harrier - Adrian Orchard ***

The story of a Harrier pilot in Afghan.

Edited by Hellfire257

Warrior: A True Story of Bravery and Betrayal in the Iraq War by Capt. Tam Henderson

Great biography of military experience through several different conflicts. Wrongly convicted of negligent discharge when an electrically operated Warrior chaingun misfires in Basra 2003, he is kicked out of his regiment. It takes a year to get the conviction overturned but his enthusiasm for army life is dead. How we lose good people to the system. Excellent book.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Warrior-True-Story-Bravery-Betrayal/dp/1845963962/ref=tag_stp_s2_edpp_url

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1082405/The-faulty-Army-issue-machine-gun-fires-times-second-finger-trigger.html

The Dragon's Storm Trilogy - Kristen Koller

This book is still not publish yet due to the funding in progress. But you can get a quick glance to see what the story about:

---

The Dragon's Storm Trilogy is a fantasy work that was born in my mind, and took on dragon’s wings as it follows the adventures of Lashane, a young mage set upon making a name for herself. Her life is shattered when she finds herself magically trapped within the body of a dragon and from there raised under the tutelage of one of the last remaining true dragons. Her world is changed into something anew as memories of her old life are buried and she's taught all the lessons that her 'sire' lays down for her. She learns of the past of dragonkind, the great war’s that were fought and the near extinction of her kind.

Through the novel we’re given a glimpse of who she once was and what she is becoming. Overshadowing her growth is the great dragon Sithen. The old warrior nurtures her as he would his own daughter in the hopes that his kind will become reality once again. It follows both his past and her future as she grows from a weak limbed hatchling to a strong proud dragoness. The reader is woven into a tale in which she becomes the focal point of a war that has been generations in the making and the upheaval of the Nyseen Empire. The Dragon's Storm Trilogy takes views of wars, humanity, spirituality, and hope through dizzying highs and plummeting lows.

--

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1660163976/the-dragons-storm-trilogy

House to House by David Bellavia (Staff Sgt)

Story of the 2004 battle of Fallujah from the perspective of the 1st unit entering the city. Great detail of some of the most dangerous urban combat ever seen. Blocked roads, bricked up stairwells and doorways, IEDs in nearly every house. In some cases houses were filled with explosives and fuel, usually at pre-planned choke points. Grim descriptions of hand to hand fighting. It's 'tanks tracks greased with blood and guts' kind of stuff. I was also under the impression that Fallujah was a US Marine operation. Not so - the US Army played an equal part. I found the minutiae descriptions of finishing off an enemy face to face with M16 and Multitool a bit overbaked but it's a good book and well worth the read.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/House-Tale-Modern-War/dp/1847391184/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329594901&sr=8-1

The above is an awesome book.

I recommend a few listed here: http://www.ausarma.org/forum/95-military-book-club/.

Warrior Brothers and Warrior Training (two seperate books) by Keith Fennell (

and
)

SAS Sniper by Rob Maylor

Shadow Warrior by David Everett (

)

and,

Running the war in Iraq - Maj Gen Jim Molan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JHK0eN624E)

I'd recommend 'The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy' by Douglas Adams. A bit crazy, but highly entertaining.

Closer to the war themes, I would say 'Life and Fate' by Vasily Grossman. It's a massive book, but very insightful to the Russian side of WW2. I also heard that the BBC radio adaption is pretty good, if you'd rather listen to it...

Extreme Risk by Major Chris hunter

A life fighting the bomb makers.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Extreme-Risk-Chris-Hunter/dp/0552157597/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1330396343&sr=8-3

The title says it all, a lifetimes EOD experience in many theatres defusing mechanisms designed to maim and kill innocent people. Fantastic book covering Northern Ireland, Bosnia, Colombia, UK mainland - London bombings and others, Iraq and Afghanistan. He also spends time as a close protection operator after leaving the army. No ordinary biography - this is very special.

http://www.allenandunwin.com/BookCovers/resized_9781865085906_224_297_FitSquare.jpg

Behind Enemy Lines - Terry O'Farrell

A compelling personal account of a young SAS soldier's experiences in Vietnam.

Description

Another urging hiss from behind me-okay hold onto your horses, I'm going. Five to ten paces takes me over the track, and now I scan the creek ahead trying to peer through the underbrush, to detect signs of enemy presence. Jesus, it's quiet; unnaturally quiet...another obviously more urgent hiss is sent out to attract my attention. Looking back over my shoulder I see the enemy soldier immediately; he is on the track looking directly at me...apparently oblivious to my presence. Has he seen me? screams through my brain. No!... Suddenly, the bastard takes off like a startled jackrabbit. Couldn't hold it together any longer, I think, as I try to get a shot in-but it's hopeless, no point in firing...in any case the remainder of the patrol is now thundering towards me.

With his remarkably observant eye, Terry O'Farrell's personal account of his career as an SAS soldier vividly captures not only the military actions of his time in Vietnam, but the human aspects of soldiering-from surviving the intense selection process and training, to dealing with the ever-present fear of combat.

Terry relives the long tense stretches on patrol in the jungle, ears ever alert to the sounds of the surrounding terrain and being caught by surprise and sudden contact with the enemy. He also entertains his readers with colourful tales of his experiences off the battlefield-the larrakin pranks during training, visits to Mama San and her girls, and the friendship and mutual trust that forms between soldiers.

An absorbing, frank and humorous reflection, Behind Enemy Lines is a first-hand insight into the mind of a young SAS soldier.

'Captures the true day to day existence of an Infantry solider...I had tears rolling down my face at some of the shenanigans...to being brought back to the nasty reality that was the war we all knew. The humour when setting up either a fellow soldier or an instructor and suffering the consequences or feeling Oh so smug when you got away with it makes for great reading.' - Bill McLaughlin.

http://www.defence.gov.au/media/download/2004/sep/030904a/2004_S786_01_lo.jpg

Terry O'Farrell enlisted in the Australian Army when the war in Viet Nam started gathering momentum. He completed two combat tours of Viet Nam as an SAS soldier and went on 40 patrols behind enemy lines as a forward scout, a patrol signaller and eventually as a patrol commander, and was wounded twice. Following Vietnam he remained in the Army rising through the ranks to Major. Terry now lives in Perth with his wife and four children.

I'd recommend 'The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy' by Douglas Adams. A bit crazy, but highly entertaining.

the one i have avatar from ;) i have only seen a movie, really crazy movie :D but i loved it (i watched it 3 times )

i loved those bureaucracy creatures there :D :D :D

---------------

i would recommend Mater and Margerita (Bulkgakov) and Russian literature in general, Russian literature has something which is very hard to prescribe, it is a kind of morally-philosophically-values literature, not easy to understand, not for entertainment, but to re-think about life and people

Edited by vilas

I just found a Polish translation "With The Old Breed" by Eugene Sledge. I wasn't sure if this book was translated into Polish, but they translated it quite recently. "Piekło Pacyfiku", a totally different translation meaning "Hell of the Pacific" :/

Anywas I going to buy this book within a week, this will be a good read!

Two of the late American historian Barbara W. Tuchman's books I highly recommend are "A Distant Mirror: the Calamitous 14th Century", quite exceptional by any standards; and "The March of Folly". The fundamental premise of the latter seems perfectly congruent with both the political and the economic issues of our time. She was an excellent historian with a profound talent for writing in a way that makes the past seem immediate.

Nobel Laureate Mikhail Sholokhov's "And Quiet Flows the Don". Brilliant story of events in the Don Cossack region from just before WW I through to the Civil War. The sequel, "The Don Flows Home to the Sea", runs out of steam a bit about halfway through IMHO, but is still well worth reading.

Montaillou: Cathars and Catholics in a French Village 1294-1324 by Emmanuel Le Roy Ladurie / tr. Barbara Bray - an edited translation of manuscripts found in France 30 years or so ago which documented part of the Catholic Church's extermination of the Cathars in the late 12th to early 13th century (proportionately perhaps the biggest holocaust in recorded history, for which the Inquisition was specifically created). The investigating cleric seems to have been unusually intelligent compared with his mostly brutal peers, & recorded in extraordinary detail how relatively ordinary people lived then. I'm on my fourth copy, the previous three having been 'borrowed' never to return.

PS: another great read on an even stranger (to us) society is Tom Holland's "Rubicon: The Triumph and Tragedy of the Roman Republic". A society in which pparents had the right - and it was exercised by more than a few - to kill their children if displeased by their behaviour until the child achieved citizenship. Though having once been obliged to watch over 5 minutes of a UK "Big Brother" show, I'm not so sure it was an entirely bad idea...

Edited by Orcinus

If you are interested in samurai, read Shogun by James Clavell. It's pretty good, into my second read now.

Adrift: Seventy-Six Days Lost at Sea by Steven callahan

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adrift-Seventy-six-Days-Lost-ebook/dp/B0042JSNQI/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1333927914&sr=1-2

Read this over the last week - fascinating story! A lone sailors small yacht is damaged in the middle of the night and he is forced to abandon ship after it sinks within minutes. A tale of extreme survival and ingenuity as he drifts across the Atlantic in a life raft for 76 days. His sinking occurred near the Canary Islands and he was eventually rescued in the Caribbean. The equipment designed to safe his life is so badly designed it condems him to slow death, it is remarkable how he overcomes the challenges of surviving a hostile environment for so long.

I just read "war" by Sebastien Junger and found it extremely interesting and insightful, especially when concerning the psychology of combat. Its written by a reporter embedded with a US unit in the Korengal valley. As a bonus there is a documentary, "Restrepo" that shows actual footage of what the guy is writing about. I highly recommend it.

Edited by -Coulum-

If you're interested in addictions then "In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts" by

I'm not sure what the general opinion of Tom Clancy is around here but I recommend Red Storm Rising. It's a very interesting book about a NATO-Warsaw Pact war, taking place in 1986. I also really enjoyed The Hunt For Red October (much more detailed and interesting than the movie) as well as Cardinal of the Kremlin.