Sign in to follow this  
djfluffwug

Star Wars - The Old Republic

Anyone been playing this game at all?

Just got it today and have been absolutely amazed by it.

Such a nice environment, really good visuals and the storyline is great.

qSfryaDYwwM

(Many other short trailers but I liked this one)

Haven't played it as I'm not fond of the whole pay a increased amount of cash for the game compared to others and then pay to play the game you already bought each month, the trailers are great but it doesn't reflect the actual gameplay.

Some here:

WYsopKuTpSg

;2084475']Haven't played it as I'm not fond of the whole pay a increased amount of cash for the game compared to others and then pay to play the game you already bought each month' date=' the trailers are great but it doesn't reflect the actual gameplay.

Some here:

dsadsadsada[/quote']

Most annoying voice I've ever heard.

Have played some, enjoyed it.

paulsoaresjr has some good playthroughs, but I wanted to show some jedi gameplay, since that's why most are playing it right?

Edit:

More annoying then this?

Edited by VIPER[CWW]

Deleted it today and cancelled sub.

@OP: My initial reaction was the same as yours but the love affair was over pretty quickly.

Edited by BangTail

;2084475']Haven't played it as I'm not fond of the whole pay a increased amount of cash for the game compared to others and then pay to play the game you already bought each month' date=' [/Quote']

^this

I've got it and I've really enjoyed playing - particularly exploring the planets with other players - there's a genuine sense of adventure in it. I've certainly found the experience more enjoyable than the time I tried WoW.

However, I think the game has some levelling/pacing issues when it comes to maintaining the character story if you try to do the world-arcs, heroic group quests and flashpoints on the side. It's difficult to stop doing a quest line once you've started it, and you have to do at least some additional questing to get decent gear; so you get lapses in the overall story experience compared to things like KOTOR when you wind up being too busy with other things - by the conclusion point of which, you really should have started on another planet a couple of levels ago.

As such, I think I'll take a break from subscription after the free-play period is up, before deciding about starting with some of the other classes of characters - particularly now I'm back at work after the Christmas/New Year period.

I'm currently on Alderaan with my Sith Inquisitor - the place is bloody huge. I'm on the Sith'ari EU server if anybody happens to be there.

I figure that while the prices are expensive, it is worth it.

Most games these days cost about $80 on release and you get maybe, a month or two maximum gameplay out of them. (Yes, I know there are exceptions but I am generalising)

And SWTOR comes with a month free gameplay, so it isn't entirely that bad.

It makes up for the high prices with the awesome gameplay style.

Hit level 25 with my Jedi knight yesterday. Loving the game so far. :)

Unlike WoW, there is the element of enjoyable replayability for other classes apart from different damage dealing. The storylines are actually quite epic.

Got a lvl 32 Vanguard on Ula Vii.

lvl 36 Operative here, loving the storyline.

I was actually quite surprised that each character has such a distinctive storyline. My girlfriend started playing a Jedi consular at the same time as I started with the Jedi knight, so I've been seeing both stories progress in parallel. I was expecting the four classes on each side to play a specific role in a single light- or dark side story, but it turns out each class' story is unique.

It will be interesting to see if the storylines can intersect or at least touch on each other at some point.

Anyone know any player stats? number on each faction etc? class distribution..

While some people might not like the subscription pay model, there certainly is a hell of a lot of replayability in MMOs... ofc the argument that ArmA has infinite replayability and has a one off cost will certainly come up.. but then again, my girlfriend isnt willing to sit and pretend we're driving a tank with me all evening, whereas she's more than happy to run around in a MMO. so i'll take what i can get...

50 Sith Assassin btw

I find the good thing about this game is, that I feel like my actions have purpose.

Most MMO's, require me to kill 10 boars with no extra story involved apart from some farmer being troubled by them on his farm. I feel as if my actions are pretty pointless in the majority of MMo's.

I think the reason this does not happen on SWTOR, is that the storyline follows the quests properly and there is superior cutscenes and voice acting for the game.

Really engaging.

As for me, I am lvl 4 on The Swiftsure.

(Don't judge me. I have had work most days :p)

I find the good thing about this game is, that I feel like my actions have purpose.

Most MMO's, require me to kill 10 boars with no extra story involved apart from some farmer being troubled by them on his farm. I feel as if my actions are pretty pointless in the majority of MMo's.

I think the reason this does not happen on SWTOR, is that the storyline follows the quests properly and there is superior cutscenes and voice acting for the game.

Really engaging.

As for me, I am lvl 4 on The Swiftsure.

(Don't judge me. I have had work most days :p)

lolwut?

It is entirely 'go kill 10 of these, collect 5 of those'.

Of course there is the Legacy Quest but you still have to do the the 'Quest Fest' quests or continually run the same 3 boring WZ's (The Alderaan one is the only one that is any good IMHO) to make up the XP.

The story, while it starts out well and remains fairly compelling until about level 30, turns into a horrid cliched POS that is laughably bad.

I got to 46 and the last few days that I played, I was finding it difficult to log in.

To be fair, I felt the same way as you did up until around Level 25, but all it really offers over any other TP MMO is voice overs and a Star Wars IP, beyond that, it's the same old shit.

Edited by BangTail

OFC its the same old shit, at the end of the day its an MMO.

what class did you play btw BT?

Sith Sorcerer (Healing Spec).

I know it is the SOS, but the OP was implying that there was no 'quest festing' (Kill 10 of these etc) and there is no shortage of it. I was simply trying to make that clear to people.

@BangTail

Sorry, I should have worded my message a little better.

I wasn't saying that you don't have to just kill 10 creatures, cause you do. But the storyline is highly involved with every quest it seems.

Thus me saying, "with no extra story involved apart from some farmer being troubled by them on his farm."

I feel that there is more than a weak attempt at putting some story in that most MMO's do. It feels they have worked hard on the story in SWTOR.

As regards Star Wars (slighty off topic)

Has there ever been, or going to be a game where its a flight based sim (sim to a point) which only deals with Tie Fighters/snow speeders etc? I only see this franchise covering everything, but is there anything dedicated to just ships/space battle ... IE: IL2 with a Starwars badge?

Sounds like you missed X-Wing vs TIE Fighter. Possible remake on the horizon too.

DSt-jucEv0s&feature=related

Edited by Daniel

I basically missed it too, I have memories of playing it in awe at a friend's house.

Sounds like you missed X-Wing vs TIE Fighter. Possible remake on the horizon too.

DSt-jucEv0s&feature=related

Great game :D

As regards a remake, blah. Lucasarts is definitely in the running for cash grab sellout of the Century so even if they do remake it, I seriously doubt it will be any good.

Tie Fighter was awesome!

Wish there would be a proper remake sometime soon, with MP! *drools*

As regards Star Wars (slighty off topic)

Has there ever been, or going to be a game where its a flight based sim (sim to a point) which only deals with Tie Fighters/snow speeders etc? I only see this franchise covering everything, but is there anything dedicated to just ships/space battle ... IE: IL2 with a Starwars badge?

Recently stumbled over this:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/swconquest

:bounce3: