Sign in to follow this  
moggel

Using mouse look

Pilots,

I've just installed TOH but I find it hard to enjoy due to the weird workings of "mouse look". I have pretty much all the bells 'n' whistles for simming, including a TrackIR setup so there's no need for me to control the view using a mouse.

I've figured out how to disable it (game options) but then I can't interact with the virtual cockpit. Pressing and holding [ALT] enables interaction again but not without also controlling the pilots head/view. Is it possible to set up the game to work as all other flight simulators? The 'norm' is that the mouse is used to control a mouse cursor for interaction only, not for viewing. Would that be possible?

BTW: Sorry if this subject has been discussed before. I have search for answers on this forums but found nothing. Feel free to point me to another post that explains this.

Thanks

/Jonas

Mmm I don’t know that “The 'norm' is that the mouse is used to control a mouse cursor for interaction only, not for viewing†is quite right, given that the “norm†is NOT to have TrackIR but to err mouse-look AND click things with it. ;)

What I suppose you need to do is map some second buttons to replicate the actions of the mouse buttons (so you do not have to touch the mouse) when looking at a button/switch/etc.

You could try going into options > game options you will see a setting for “free-look interaction†and playing with that, as it controls mouse-look vs. green icons vs. the use of “ALTâ€/â€keypad *†and the default state when you’re in cockpit view mode.

BTW, you don’t need the green icons “on†in order to click the buttons etc if you know where the switch/etc are, also the green icons have an ~7fps to ~10fps hit when on in cockpit view mode. (or they do on my I7 980 with 560ti) so I have mine set to default to mouse-look on and icons off.

Hehe. Well, I'm not gonna bet any money on the "norm" but I've been flying for years and most (in fact all I've used) do support TIR and I only assumed every simmer had TIR by now. But maybe I'm more hard core than I assumed.

Anyway, what you're saying is that the answer is "no"? There really is no way of disconnecting the "freelook" feature from using the mouse for interaction? That's a pity and I'm heading over to the suggestions department to suggest there should be.

I also found an anomaly in that freelook was active in career mode even though I'd deactivated it. That might have been before I patched the sim however so I'll double check that.

Cheers

Try playing with the Freelook interaction setting in Game options. I play with Default on so my mouse only controls view and interaction; not flight.

most flight sims are the "norm" he is talking about.

The view is default to a tophat and the mouse only moves the cursor around the virtual cockpit.

Just stick with it. you'll get used to it and start to like it better.

besides, you can't get out of the heli in any other sim, and the mouse look is crucial for any navigation outside of a vehicle.