Sign in to follow this  
-=seany=-

NVG Bug causing large squares of light on terrain

Basically projected lights (like the helo headlight, Illumination flares and counter measure flares etc) cause a large, square light shape to be projected on the terrain rather than their normal smooth cone.

Not every light is affected during play, it seems to be when there are a lot of lights sources illuminating at once. Like over a new AO in domination for example. I'm not 100% about this though.

I tried changing shadow settings but that made no difference.

Anyone familiar with it or know how to fix it?

I searched here and dev heaven but could find no mention of the problem.

jrtavq.jpg

Never seen that one in A2:OA before running a GTX260. Could be a driver issue, what driver version and OS do you run and did this start with 1.60?

/KC

275.33 driver version and Vista64.

It has been around since before the last patch 1.6x.

I do remember seeing this on foot while in a town before (like 6 months ago or more), can't remember the missions (probably Dom or Ins). I tend to avoid night missions so it's hard to know how long it has been around.

I guess I'll make a repro mission and get you guys to test it.

---------- Post added at 08:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

Ok, here is a test mission

I also noticed while testing that it is not NVG that causes this, it is there all the time. As this pic shows:

15gdom.jpg

Please could anyone test the mission and tell me what you see? Thanks!

You start in an airborne AH6 in the air. Don't move anywhere. Just turn on NVG and watch the fire works.

You have squad member if you want to use tactical view to observe.

Test Mission:

http://www.mediafire.com/?7uai727xddifjvr

Just tested with 1.60.87662 Beta and I see the same. Will try earlier betas and see what happens...

Edit: Do you by any chance use JTD_FireAndSmoke? I can replicate it with JTD F&S 0.3 but not when running A2:OA vanilla?

Edit2: I can replicate it in vanilla as well by making script made light sources (i.e _light = "#lightpoint" createVehicle _pos) and thats what JTD F&S uses as well when he creates a fire. I posted your observation in the beta thread as well.

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

I'm not using any mods at the moment. I do normally use Warfx Blastcore, but for this testing I am running combined ops + BAF.

If you test this and don't get the problem could you please say, or if you have never seen it before please say.

At the moment (due to lack of response) I can only assume it's a problem on my side. Which to be honest I doubt. But with out feed back I can't know.

If it is a problem for everyone I need to report it on Dev heaven. Help me out here people please!

Test Mission:

http://www.mediafire.com/?7uai727xddifjvr

All you have to do is load the mission, turn on NVG and sit back and watch for less than a minute (no user input or complex procedure is required). Then exit & report!

Thank you :cheers:

Edited by -=seany=-

Imho this issue is persistent since OFP and has something todo with the lights and how lightning works with the game/engine, terrain and objects. Sometimes people see those ugly lit up squares but most of the time they try to ignore them and finish the task/mission. Maybe A3 will have a better/proper lightning and its tested twice before release....

I can confirm the bug (on extreme far view).

arma2oa2012-01-0612-2tkqzr.jpg

arma2oa2012-01-0612-258pkk.jpg

arma2oa2012-01-0612-2plp0w.jpg

Edited by SyNcRoNiCzZ

Looks like our common dominator is nVidia (I have a GTX 260 using 191.07 WHQL) but a bit wierd casue I can only replicate similar effect if I use script made light sources otherwise it's OK.

Wonder if we can get anyone with a ATI GPU to try?

/KC

AMD 6970, settings at Bla and AMD CP settings at Bla, I have the same poor NV squares. Since ARMA1 too. Just be glad it doesnt strobe like it used too.

im not sure about OFP but i have seen this definately since arma1.

very annoying! this,the flashing of flares and the to dark or to bright image with NVG make me also avoid nightmissions. should be known to BIS since ages, theres workarounds (not real fixes) from the community since ages - is it patched? of course not :rolleyes:

why do i say this so harsh? because it breaks certain situations in the game or makes them almost unplayable and so it should be fixed asap - PLEEEASE with candy on top :)

This is still happening, please can this get looked at. Seany did you create a ticket for this issue? I searched the title of the thread on dev heaven and can't find it

http://i.imgur.com/YC9ZA.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/yjXSq.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/8SBa0.jpg

Unless the whole lighting system has changed in a patch somehow, at night there are so many problems using NVG's in situations where lighting becomes extremely bright or dark. Launching a volley of unguided rockets in something like an SU-25 completely blinds me. What's going on?

Nope, looks like I never got around to reporting it. I think because I had intended to get more info. I don't think the problem persists for the whole of the dark period. I have a feeling it is only happening for a couple of hours near dawn or dusk. It could even be affected by season, I'm not 100%. I think I wanted to make a repro mission where it would go through the whole night quickly and have a constant burning light source to test it. I don't know how to do this/ never tried to figure it out*. But if this could be done, it would give them(bis) the best info to work on.

If you want to go ahead and report it that's cool. Other wise I'll try to have another look in a few days.

*Thinking about it now, I guess you could just add a few fire places in burning state and use the in-game speed up time command.

Edited by -=seany=-