Sign in to follow this  
JakeWed

Operation Bulgaria Announcement

Vist the Decades of Development Fourm

What is Operation Bulgaria?

Operation Bulgaria is a new add-on currently in development for ArmA II: Combined Operations, which focuses on the armed forces of The Federal Republic of Bulgaria. The pack aims to add the faction for all members of the ArmA community, and for use by the Bulgarian Community itself in their servers and missions.

Who is making it?

Operation Bulgaria is currently being developed on by two members of the Decades of Development Mod group; Rlast and Jake Wedding. Both being Co-Leaders of the mod with Jake Wedding doing texturing and config and Rlast also doing texturing.

What does it include?

The Operation Bulgaria pack will encompass the Bulgarian Army and Air Force in both the desert and woodland theatres. At the moment, our focus is on the desert theme, and the proper development of any woodland add-on will occur after the release of the first update.

I am also looking for away to have Randomized Vests and Uniforms, PM me if you know a way

The current plan for the project is as follows:

Infantry - Regular infantry in Desert and woodland configurations, possibly in both realistic loudouts and ArmAII styled. also UN Personal and specialized branches may follow

Vehicles - HMMWV's of course will be included, along with Ural trucks. Possibly later we may get a few Mercedes Vehicles to put in as well

Armoured - Your basic Eastern blok stuff, T-72's, T-55's, T-34's, BTR-40+60's and BRDM2's, Looking also to have the BMP-23 as well modeled

Aerial - Your run of the mill Su-25's, Mi-17's, Mi-24's and L-39's. Looking to include some MiG's as well at a later date

Contributions and Joining

while we are looking to keep the file size down (Already is up to the 60mb mark), but more content is always a nice thing, so if you want to give us something, Go ahead!

And with joining, we at decades of Development are always looking for me guys to help out, we have this project, Decades of Tiberian and Over the top running, PM us on this fourm or on our own fourm if you want to join

Screenshots: (Hope their not over the limit, Re-size if you must admins)

Infantry WIPS - 4 color Woodland and 3 color desert, Vests are still not done

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/2094/arma2oa2011120609592411.png >100kb!!

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/9141/arma2oa2011120609550958.png >100kb!!

BTR-60 - Plain green, in both New and worn versions, camo will follow

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/1391/btrwornb.png >100kb!!

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/7591/btrnewa.png >100kb!!

Edited by Foxhound
images well over 100kb!! Way, way to much!

Wow that sounds very interesting and the models look great. I would love to see same kind of projects for Greece and Turkey .

I wish you luck guys :)

Edited by Nikiforos

We hope to follow on with other projects of the same, reasonable size (If I can control myself to stop!) with other country's not commonly represented in most games and whatnot

Please make yourself familiar with the forum rules, max allowed filesize of hotlinked images is 100kb, you exceeded that max a lot with the pics you posted above.

§15) Do not hotlink images over 100kb (102400 bytes) in size

Do not link images over 100kb using the IMG tags to display an image in your post. If you wish to post an image larger then 100 kb feel free to post the URL instead of hotlinking.

Armoured - Your basic Eastern blok stuff, T-72's, T-55's, T-34's, BTR-40+60's and BRDM2's, Looking also to have the BMP-23 as well modelled

As you wish, but I suggest to keep it as realistic as possible. In this case notice Bulgarians use only T-72s (mostly T-72M2 with thermal imaging and laser rangefinder), T-55 and T-34s are in deep reserve or scrapped. BTRs-40 got scrapped recently (thus this comes from wikipedia, would be nice to have better confirmation). BTRs-60, BRDM-2s and BMPs-23 remain in active service.

I would also say that woodland camouflage should be a bit brighter, yes however reminds the original one and cannot be mistaken - so its OK :)

Good to hear about the project, I love ideas on bringing less-known but not less brave nations into armaverse.

I swear I already replied

But I'm putting in the other Retired vehicles just because to be honest, but after this mod we hope to move onto other less shown Nations in most games

And yea, thanks about the woodland camo, Glad it looks something like the real deal. Will get it brighter when I get around to it

Hi JakeWed! Congrats to you and DoD team for choosing Bulgarian military as a theme of your mod. I'm not ArmA 2 player (still playing OFP), but I'm very interested in your work, because I'm working on my mod Karbala 2004, about Polish and Bulgarian involvement in last war in Iraq. So if you guys would ever need any help or informations regarding Bulgarian army equipment - give me a message.

At this moment I can tell you that Ural is not the best choice - there are only few in service, mainly specialized variants. Bulgarians use KrAZ trucks as a basic transport. They also still use BMP-1 along with their own BMP-23 (which are completely unrelated to Soviet designs). BRDM-2s are now phasing out - M1117s are going to replace them.

As of weapons: Bulgarians use only their own designs, based on Soviet ones. Main rifles are Arsenal AR-1 (7,62x39mm) and AR-M1 (7,62 and 5,56). First one is almost original AK-47 with milled receiver, but stock and pistol grip are changed to AKM style. AR-M1 uses AK-74M stock (but it's not folding!) and grips, and also have flash-hider. Magazine on .223 version is original Bulgarian design, waffle-style. There is nice AR-M1 in Vilas' eastern weapon pack - I acted as an "advisor" during it's development. ;)

It's the same with their machineguns: MG-1 and MG-M1, but here both design use short, trumpet-style flash-hiders instead of PKM long one.

As for pistols: Makarov PM, Arcus 98 (Bulgarian clone of Browning HP) and Arsenal Compact. Unfortunately I don't have any other info on Arcus 98, nor about date of introduction of Arsenal. If you'd came across any useful information about it, I'd be glad to see it.

So that's all I can tell you now. I wish you success with your project, because Bulgarian military is one of the most interesting Eastern European armies with their indigenous weapons, and they did great job in Afghanistan and Iraq. Good luck! :)

Yea, we hope to include more realistic stuff at a later date, right now we lack a modeler to make Kraz trucks

although we want to keep the filesize low, it still would be a good Idea to have the proper equipment, And I believe Vilas does have a Kraz truck though