Sign in to follow this  
Tankbuster

[request] View and 'distill (edit)' RPT in real time?

Happy new year all! :)

Right, not entirely sure where to put this, I'll start here and see how we go.

This all centres around the RPT file.

Server RPT

I can view the server RPT just fine. We run Server 2008 Web which allows me to remote desktop (from my laptop) into the server and using baretail I can see the file in realtime. It's excellent. RPT on one screen, game on another.

There's just 1 problem though. The server RPT get's spammed with useless junk.

Client: Object 2:82374 (type Type_103) not found.
Client: Object 2:82375 (type Type_203) not found.
Client: Object 2:87557 (type Type_85) not found.

Is just some of it. Could I run another application that constantly edited the RPT file to remove this stuff in real time? Perhaps based on rules? The server app doesn't maintain file lock even when it's writing, so it should be possible for another application to delete some lines in real time.

Client RPT

This is more complex because when I'm in the game, I cant see the game and the RPT on the screen at the same time. Windows remote desktop is a non runner obviously as it would log me out on the gaming machine.

So, is there a way for my laptop to see, in real time, the contents on my client RPT and ideally, edit the junk lines out of it in the way I described earlier?

rptmon is the only related program I can find. Only problem is, the only host is down and I cant even try it out.

I am using notepad++ to do that when scripting...

under Plugins > Plugin Manager > Show Plugin Manager > Available (tab)

you should have there "Document Monitor", really handy (latest version of notepad++ has it),

the file polling is 3 secs and unfortunately not configurable though.

And I can wipe whatever is there with no problem, it keeps monitoring. Not sure how fitting it would be for your purposes.

Can do so also with EditPad Lite and Pro I suppose, most modern editors I think.

Also for monitoring log files im using LogExpert. I think there's also LogTail and other alternatives.

As I said in the original post, I can monitor the file in real time using baretail. Do these other applications you mention have the ability to remove the spam automatically?

As I said in the original post, I can monitor the file in real time using baretail. Do these other applications you mention have the ability to remove the spam automatically?

Only by doing some regexes, the best i could find is one (AnalysePlugin) which can do multiple regexes in the same go and highlight/hide those, you would be required to always initiate the search process though.

You could bind that to some windows macro key or something, idk. It gets too cumbersome I guess.

iuXHw.jpg

Edited by gammadust

You see, that's making progress, thanks. :)

As you say, it can do these changes but only on a keypress.

Oh that's cool! I'll try it this evening. Thanks guys.