Sign in to follow this  
fredkatz

AI Heli Control 1.0

Is it possible to add the actionmenu to the chopper and not onto the person ?

I don't know how to do that, but Zonekiller's BattleZone does it and it works VERY well.

Is it possible to add the actionmenu to the chopper and not onto the person ?

Looks like that's how it already is, actions are attached to the chopper.

@mrcash2009

I would love to create a dialog menu to control the heli instead of the action menu as it is now, I guess I will have to play around with dialogs

As always its easy for me to ask than do it :) Mind you, check out that SOM script I linked, it would at least enhance your menu open/close aspect for what you have now, becuase you never need to close/reopen the interaction menu, it just opens the list of options and closes them while the interaction menu stays open.

Since this uses CBA already, check the CBA UI functions - they're not documented, but perhaps you can check how other projects are using them, like ACE, ACRE or MSO. Maybe add a check for ACE and if found, integrate your entries in there, if not, create your own menu.

I took a look at one time at the CBA UI functions inside of ACE and could not understand it, but it might be easier now that I have been working with dialogs. Here is my dialog I am currently building for this

normal_heli_extras_dialog.jpg

I am still trying to decide how to select the helicopters to give commands to, I thought about a drop down list with all of the helicopters that are under your command when you open the dialog.

Edited by fredkatz
Fixed Image

what action menu mod are you using... love the AI Helo mod, just was curious about your action menu mod that moved it to the center of the screen.

-R

I have finally finished the dialog for the helicopter control system, if all test go well it should be released in a couple of days as a script-version and a Auto-exec Addon.

Here is what the dialog looks like

normal_heli_extras_dialog_new.jpg

As of now, the system can control multiple helicopters of the same type like 2 Mi-8, or 2 Mh-6

That looks very sexy sir :)

I can smell "must have" mod already.

Does the dialogue allow the in-map to place the heli marker so no need to go to main map?

When the dialogue opens I know that most things cant function until closed, is it possible ("possible") ... to set some kind of external config to set a key to open it in the auto exec version? Or is it set in the interaction menu to open it? I ask this becuase if it opened and closed on key hold like recent ace interaction does that would be very slick indeed. But a bit cosmetic request I suppose.

One other question, will it or can be set for use with non assigned AI? Say if I place a Huey on the map (not empty) and not linked to me, as I walk up to it this addon recognises this and I can then jump in and use it as an instant taxi? Or is it purely for AI in group control?

Does the dialogue allow the in-map to place the heli marker so no need to go to main map?

Yes, The map click LZ system works with the in-dialog map

When the dialogue opens I know that most things cant function until closed, is it possible ("possible") ... to set some kind of external config to set a key to open it in the auto exec version? Or is it set in the interaction menu to open it? I ask this becuase if it opened and closed on key hold like recent ace interaction does that would be very slick indeed. But a bit cosmetic request I suppose.

Right now it opens with a keypress, I will make the key changeable by userconfig for the auto-exec version

One other question, will it or can be set for use with non assigned AI? Say if I place a Huey on the map (not empty) and not linked to me, as I walk up to it this addon recognises this and I can then jump in and use it as an instant taxi? Or is it purely for AI in group control?

At the moment it does not allow control of a external groups heli, but I could add a move button to make it work with external helicopters. Would control within a certain distance of the heli or across the map be better?

Edited by fredkatz

At the moment it does not allow control of a external groups heli, but I could add a move button to make it work with external helicopters. Would control within a certain distance of the heli or across the map be better?
Yes good point, especially if heli is far away to call for pick up.

When I downloaded this originally I had the assumption (never good to assume) that it did this, and that's why I was confused. So if it did have this ability, it would be an all in one solution for taxi heli and so on, esp auto exec.

So if I would spill my brain I would say that maybe the userconfig would be a good place to put an array for extra helis (3rd party ones) so it can cover and be flexible for additions than vanilla only. Also if it would latch onto AI helis placed, maybe the config could have an option for the feature to be on or off?

Otherwise I would think that auto exec would give mission cheats in terms of all helis able to taxi that exist or something.

Or ... also like ace, maybe you could have a module for the editor that has this feature "off" IE: Auto detect AI pilots not in your control off, so missions can force it off etc.

Also limited to "side" so only your side are able to be used.

I dont know scripting enough, but if it can detect the heli type as you walk to it whether or not its your AI controlled pilot (but your side obviously) it can give you the dialogue option and that AI will act out as any would in your control, instant taxi. But as mentioned that only covers helis you would be near, ones far away for pick up would need the detect on map idea to work right I guess.

But ... maybe others might want to chime in on this too.

Maybe this feature may be best left to other mods that do taxi scripts, but if implemented well and flexible it would be good. In my head all helis with ai get searched for and listed, you then see a list and marker show for these on minimap (markers can be turned on or off in config or module in mission edit or toggle in dialogue?), you click the one you want, or from drop down list and request pickup ... you place a marker for landing, it pops smoke ... you get picked up. You then use the rest of the dialogue to guide it and land as normal.

Also it might just be a good idea to have it for AI in your control to keep things simple for now for release reasons. Im just thinking about autoexec and playing standard vanilla missions.

Or ... (sorry thinking as I type) to keep autoexec from taking over AI pilots in any missions, maybe the ones you want controlled require a sync to a module in the editor? Or a naming convention for said AI helis to be picked up when scanned for on mission start from the addon? That way only missions using this will give this control to any AI pilot, and the autoexec will still work as normal with AI in your control.

I suppose its a balance of having instant taxi helis when found on missions, and it not becoming a cheat or interfering with missions that dont want that feature like vanilla.

Edited by mrcash2009

so when's the release..? looking forward to integrating this into my Game Type...

-VRCRaptor

Very good addon! Once used to it, it's missed playing without! Still hoping to see the new dialog system being released! :)

Sorry for the late reply, I have been busy with college assignments but I have been working on this.

I have added a airplane control dialog

airplane_dialog.jpg

It allows landing airplanes at any airfield on the map, because I was tired of the AI landing at Loy Manara airbase instead of Rasman airbase and getting themselves killed because it was behind enemy lines.

It has been in testing and I should be able to release this week. :cool:

Looking good. This is a great piece of work. Used as a scripted version it's perfect for missions!

I can't wait to try this. I'm guessing it won't be long before I'm singing its praises to my clan too!

Looking good. This is a great piece of work. Used as a scripted version it's perfect for missions!

This, this, this, and this please !!

Krem - I do something similar to what Robalo suggested in this post - it works well as a script.

I was wondering, which interaction menu should I add it to in ACE, I am using the CBA ui functions and would like some feedback where it should go.

The next release will include the extracted scripts for easier implementations in missions, the system will still require CBA

I think the Self Interaction button would make more sense as it needs to be available all the time. The 'other' Interaction button is usually attached to the object you are interacting with - in the case of a support chopper that's not always practical.

Please don't JUST add it to ACE Fred, as quite a lot of us don't use ACE. Requiring CBA is totally fine, due to it's ubiquitous nature and abilities.

Fred - just wondering.... this is going to pick up ALL aircraft that have already spawned OR/AND will be spawned in the future? If the AND option, I will be VERY happy :)

Thanks for working on it.

Krem

I second Kremator's motion, many of us don't use ACE so an ACE-free version would be more compatible.

And requiring CBA isn't a major issue as it seems to have become prerequisite for most serious mods these days (i44, ASR, ACRE, ACE, etc.).

As for accessing the GUI, I think an entry in the main menu might be a little over-bearing so how about the radio command.

IIRC it's 9 for comms then 0 for custom, right?

BTW are there any plans for a auto-exec version?

Edited by domokun

Don't worry it is not only for ACE, I personally do not use ACE but I want compatibility because I use the CBA UI menu for opening the 2 dialogs, and my default key is the Left windows key.

Right now it picks up the helicopters and airplanes in the players squad. If this is about a taxi version to support all AI helicopters on the map it is planned for the future.