Sign in to follow this  
BeerHunter

Why do tanks use MG's against tanks?

Not too sure if it's a bug , flaw or feature..

Created 2 battle tank groups and squared them off against each other.

They did fire main armament but also spent a LOT of time peppering the enemy with small caliber fire as well. Considering battle tanks are designed to deflect tank destroying rounds , I'm wondering what the sense is in peppering it with small arms fire.

And using tracers to mark targets went out with the discovery of transistors.

Only reason I can think of is to disrupt communications. All that clanking from .50 Cal bullets would make quit a racket inside a steel shell.

1. The sense of peppering an armoured vehicle with small arms fire is to force the crew to button up (close all hatches and even close the armour flaps for vulnerable optics for Laser and FCS) a armoured vehicle under small arms fore has to go to "duel mode" taking away from it all the fancy little modern helpers and turning it into a WWII style engement in that even older MBT have a chance against the modern stuff. Also HEAT Weapons work best against a tank crew when all hatches are closed.

Well thats why Tanks are fired upon with small arms in RL.

2. In ArmA its usually because the commander did not oder to change weapon for the gunner, and M1A2s are fired upon because they have a always tuned out Loader (I dotn know who the hell is actually loading the gun, must be the commander)

So, while it is correct to fire upon armoured vehicles with small arms....the point of it is totally failed in ArmA.

Edited by Beagle