Sign in to follow this  
Gezzer

Why I haven't played ARMA 2

Why on earth would you want to have to use two clicks for what you can do now in one?

I think the current command menu with its 'quick launch of most "common

commands" confuses people.

It was much better with just 1-9 then a list of the actual commands under each sub

command heading... like it was in OFP and Armed Assault.

1-9 then follow the sub commands... KISS (keep it simple stupid) mofo :)

Why on earth would you want to have to use two clicks for what you can do now in one?

Because ArmA isn't played at the speed that a FPS is, so it doesn't matter? Organized commands are more useful than instant ones. Then again, I never use any of those commands anyway since I play co-op MP all the time and it's even faster yelling at someone over the radio instead. ;)

2. There's a manual. Period.

The manual and the tutorials are incomplete.

The manual talks about the Action Menu ( press spacebar ) when it should say select menu "6" to do that thing.

Menu "6" is very useful. I had the game 6 months and had read the manual 3 times and gone through the basic tutorials a half dozen times - before I found - by accident - the usefullness of menu "6".

Lol at people telling Arma 2 is not a game.

Yes, always funny... :D

Everytime someone calls ArmA a "Military-Simulator" i have to think about some other "Simulator" games like those Flight-Simulators with 500+ pages manuals you actually need to read, or Monster-Wargames that take 20+ hours to learn and understand.

The controls of ArmA are differend, so if you only played BF or CoD till now you will have some trouble to understand the controls...thats all.

But after a hour everyone able to use a computer should be able to play ArmA and understand the controls.

I usually only need 15min to tell some people who never before played ArmA how to handle the controls and then the action can start. :)

Wow. I heard that hardcore ArmA players were kind of @ssholes, and I see it's really true. lol. This isn't meant as a troll, more a response to your Fanboi posts.

First off, you really need to relax. My post was in no way a rant but an observation of an area that could use some work from a person who would love to play the game but can't because of an insane learning curve and broken tutorial.

First off as I said I bought it on steam, so no hard copy manual. Secondly anyone who says and I quote "Reading the manual is essential when picking up a new game. End of story" must be still playing games from the 90's. Many if not most current games come with little to no instruction using the game to teach the game mechanics. And lastly I wasn't putting down the game as a whole. Just the basic training. Which if it was meant to be a tutorial failed at it's job. That's the problem the tutorial which I guess is meant to bring a player to the point where they can actually hold their own in a mission doesn't do that.

On another note. You may not of thought about this, but if you defend something to the death without admitting any of it's shortcomings you simply come off as a zealot and an idiot. Which I'm afraid many of you do.

A perfect example is myself and AMD who I defended against all comers. At least until the i7-i5 generation. At that point even I had to admit that AMD was coming up short for the enthusiast community.

So I will add this final remark and then uninstall ArmA so you little Fanbois can play your precious game in peace. If you want the ArmA series to progress and develop a larger following you need to smarten the F@CK UP. Your going to be the reason that the developer pulls the plug on the series. Even a double A or single A title these days cost a chunk load of cash to develop. If a publisher can't see a reasonable return on investment guess what? They pull the plug. How many games do you think get green lit and then shelved because they start to look like a bad investment. I'd say at least 50% and in this current economy more like 75% plus. So if you want to wall off you little precious garden of a flawed masterpiece go ahead. Just don't go all ballistic when you find out ArmA 3 has been canceled.

Now THAT you MFs is a rant! Can you tell the difference?

Hi Gezzer. I think people need to relax all round yes? ;) Yes there are fanboys here, and they will always respond aggressively to obvious attack posts from obviously new members. That is the same all over and not restricted to ArmA.

All the points you raise are valid of course, although a read of the manual would surely have solved at least some of them :) and if you care to take a look around you will see that the other points are all acknowledged and discussed plenty. We're not blind to ArmA's faults, but we still know it's the best choice we have currently by a LONG way.

I played a bit yesterday after the patch came out and was able to review what I still dont like in the UI specifically:

Selecting of group units when Im the leader: I dont like how the unit stays highlighted after I give the order, especially if I have two pages of units and I have to hit f12 all the time to check to see if the unit is still selected because the commands are the ones I intended. I would rather they automatically deselect after an order is given in the old fashion. Earlier games had a smoother operation here.

Also the command menu stays in its position so I am constantly deselecting units and hitting backspace so I can get my quick commands back from the top level. Like - select units and tell them to watch direction. If Im not careful they get another watch direction command instead of a stay crouched. Im fighting the menu while I am in a firefight and its so easy to get killed while Im dealing with it. Kills like that are frustrating and if it is complained about in this forum the poster receives outright ridicule for not being leet enough from idiots!

If I am in the squad leaders tactical view ( '.' yeah the one we shouldnt use pfffft!) and I switch to map mode I cant zoom the map with the mouse scroll because the commanding menu sticks in there and cycles through the menu instead of zooming the map. I have to close the map and hit backspace twice and then go back into the map. Its cumbersome, punishing and should be changed.

If there are options that can change these parts of the game I was not aware of them.

Other things:

I still cannot find a tutorial on how to use the mortars and backpacks in the boot camp or any official (or even unofficial) sources. I can use mortars in a basic way but I just cant figure out how to pack them and move them and load them into vehicles and stuff like that which would be a cool feature to play with. Its as simple as adding a bootcamp mission for mortars and believe me I will check again. More bootcamp missions for things like mortars and backpacks should be added with major patches if not allready.

I still cant get my units to reload easily even if there are ammo trucks and crates nearby. I have to manually move them to the right location and then use the action menu to tell them to rearm and then they finally take their mags.

Medics still have to be commanded specifically to heal units and even themselves. Its sometimes useful to have such granular control but they should have a clear way to know when to automatically heal people and themselves!

On a final note, why are there only 3 servers in my MP lobby in 1.60?

I still cannot find a tutorial on how to use the mortars and backpacks in the boot camp or any official (or even unofficial) sources. I can use mortars in a basic way but I just cant figure out how to pack them and move them and load them into vehicles and stuff like that which would be a cool feature to play with. Its as simple as adding a bootcamp mission for mortars and believe me I will check again. More bootcamp missions for things like mortars and backpacks should be added with major patches if not allready.

the mortar packup/setup isnt working anymore as far as I know. It was there on OA release, but its been on the back burner I guess. I know because I also tried to use it, but the actions are not there when you have the equipment. AI don't setup either (I think they did before)

I am hoping with my CIT, they will fix it, and atleast add an option in high command for these teams to setup their weapons. Right now I have to use a make shift script I wrote for that, and its not fully completed either.

@Gezzer action menu is mousewheel or ] [ keys. My advice is just go into the editor. Place some units, ammo boxes, vehicles or whatever (double-click map and look through the drop-down menus) click preview and just F around until you start to get the hang of it. I found just experimenting was the best (and most fun) way to learn.

Best of luck mate, it can be frustrating at times but well worth it and I promise you'll enjoy it more than BF3 BFBC3 in the end.:)