Sign in to follow this  
Brain

Wont Install Game

Hey,

Just got Take On for Christmas (as every BI product a must buy for me :) ).

I got the german Boxed Version from a local store here and installed it for now 1 and a half hour. I was already on CD2 but then suddenly it showed me an error message with something "File not found" and abortet Setup after saying "The application will probably not work properly". I got the boxed german version and have a Win7-64b system.

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor

Nvidia GTS250

6GB RAM

Pretty mad now, especially because it lasts nearly 2 hours and now it has aborted setup...

Make sure that your CPU etc is at default speed, the same with the RAM etc etc (i.e. not overclocked) – there have been other instances reported of file errors resulting in failed installs from DVD that were traced to overclocked hardware (CPU/RAM/FSB/etc)

You could try copying the data from the DVD’s to a HDD folder, if it’s a proper error you would not expect this to complete, if it completes you could try running the setup.exe from the HDD folder.

Check that “enable DMA†is on for your IDE/ATA devices (alternatively if on for your DVD drive you could turn it off for installing so PI0 mode is used (more CPU intensive) then turn it back on afterwards) (Google enable DMA) (PC restart will be needed) (some DVD drives don’t like DMA mode coupled with large chunks of data and PI0 is a fall-back mode that all IDE/ATA devices must support)

Ill try it but it shouldnt happen, especially because of the price. I dont want to fix around things for hours to be able to play.

If anything is overclocked then the error would most likely be caused by running hardware outside of default which would be down to YOU to rectify/test, hardware when overclocked may be ok most of the time but if one portion is used intensively error can occur and things like transferring files during an installation are not as fault tolerant as file transfers during games which would largely not be using the DVD but instead the HDD and may be coded to ignore missing/errors in data.

Likewise e.g. if your DVD drive is an external USB type then having in connected to a USB hub can cause problem vs. having it directly connected to a USB port on the motherboard as the only device using that port. (also a documented problem affecting external DVD drives in general)

I've also got the German boxed version and I get about 3/4 of a way through the install and I also get a 'file not found error' - the install then aborts! I played the demo with no problems at all (even with all the sliders set to max) . The game did install the first time but I could only fly the 'free flight' and the campaign wouldn't work. My specs are:

Operating System: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.111025-0338)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

System Model: Dell XPS420

BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A0Processor: Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz

Memory: 3326MB RAM

Page File: 1759MB used, 5101MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 7.00.6002.18107 32bit Unicode

I hope someone from Bohemia see this as there seems to be a problem with the German boxed version!:confused:

I got STILL the problem. Even on different OS, using a different GPU and trying it in different ways. No help from the support, no reaction to E-Mails, no similar thing on the forum. I tried it now nearly a dozen times and I have to say I'm pretty disappointed, that even after 2 years I can't play TakeOn.

No help from the support, no reaction to E-Mails, no similar thing on the forum.

Well as for the support you should have to wait some time to have a response. There are dozens if not hundreds of emails being involved. This goes on and on for every company. It is logical though, in a sense.

I waited two years. Two years. 730 days. 17520 hours. I think that might be just enough time for a companies support to react to a customer who bought their product, don't you think so?

EDIT: Okay, not exactly two years. But you get it.

Oups. Sorry. I thought that you sent these emails just before you posted so. Big mistake. Yes in that case it is unacceptable.

The only other way I could try is download it online (Steam, BI Page?) and try my boxed code. No idea if this is work, or if the problem is even DVD related or whatsoever.

Well it must be the german version since in other versions nothing as such has occurred. And something else if you get it installed by any means, you should first apply the patches and then play TOH. That could be the reason for the campaign not working.

I assume I am not the only one who has bought in German language. Personally I don't care if it's German or English, I just want to fly. :(

Well I looked at your issue a bot more thoroughly and the CD seems to be very problematic. I mean look at the installation procedure. Mine took five to ten minutes.

And as it seems you won't be able to fix this issue alone and since there is no support you should buy the English version. Send them a request, Bohemia Interactive, for an exchange. Give them the German version and take an English one. By this way everyone will be ok. And if all works out TOH will give you the unique flight experience that you always wanted, that is for sure.

I bought it nearly two years ago. Not sure BI will do this.