Sign in to follow this  
DieselJC

Patch for server is 14gb?

I rent a server from AOWC..and asked about the patch and when it would be avavilible...the response I got was this from AOWC,

Alot of you guys have been asking in tickets about the betas of Arma2 and OA patches, and I wasn't able to get to it in time. So even if we are the 24th, we are today releasing the 1.60 patch for Operation Arrowhead and 1.11 for Arma2.

But because of the nature of the patch, the following needs to be known:

1- The Combined ops patch will be a whoppin' 14gb, meaning it will take an average of 5-10 hours depending on the file server's usage at the time of patching. For individual games, the time will be about half.

2- The patch will be voluntary, i.e. we will not force push it to everyone.

As alot of you know, ACE has been updated since a while, so it should work out of the box."

I'm no expert in this but how does a 700mb patch turn into 14gb?

Isnt it just a matter of the exe for servers as well as client side?

I am thinking this info isnt correct...can anyone direct me to info on how to patch a server that I have remote ftp access to?

Thanks

JC

Maybe but I copied and pasted from my email..plus even 1.4 gb shouldnt take 5-10 hours to install...especially for a company providing servers for games..youd think they would be faster than that. Just doesnt seem quite right so thought I'd ask here.

JC

The 1.6 patch itself is only 700Mb compressed, so I don't know where they are getting 14Gb from - that sounds to me like a full install size.

Sounds squiffy -perhaps they're referring to adding together the size of every file that gets patched (Perhaps they're using some kind of mirroring system), rather than the patch itself