Sign in to follow this  
TeTeT

Combining Arma2 Helicopters with new flight model?

Is there a way to combine the advanced flight model of the ToH helicopters with the looks of Arma 2 helicopters? Background is, that I have ToH running with Arma 2 content using links and modlines. The existing Vietnam mods run just fine and I would love to combine the UH-1H from there with the advanced flight model of the medium helicopter. Is there any way to do that?

Why not just pretend its 1970/71 and just overlook/squint at the extra 2 blades of the 412

Yeah, that'd be the fallback option if the above is not doable in a reasonable amount of time.

@ TeTeT I wonder the same as you. Would be quite nice to have the "real" Huey in TOH. By the way how did you menage it to assimilate the Arma 2 mod into TOH? Is it the same way like adding the sample chopper of BI to the game ?

If someone have an idea how to handle with the flightmodel it would be a pleasure to found a workgroup of doing this job.

Fixed wing are gay

best regards

You would need to at least perform a load of config work on the Arma helicopters to get them to work with the ToH flight model. There would probably need to be some modelling work as well. Not an easy task.

I think unless the creators of the models decide to move them to ToH then you will have to make do with combining Arma 2 and ToH and flying them the old school way.

I guess the light at the end of the tunnel is that IF BIS decide to put the ToH flight model into Arma3, you might start to see some conversions then. Personally I hope the FM is incorporated but I don't think it has been decided yet.

Unfortunately, porting BIS addons between product lines is forbidden by BIS. It would be necessary to ask their permission to do so. Also, I think you would require the MLOD source files into order to actually port it so you would need to request their files as well.

a) You can use the A1 sample models.

b) You can get permission (and MLODs) from community work.

c) BI released a sample chopper for TKOH to learn how to make one/port them to the new FM.

c) BI released a sample chopper for TKOH to learn how to make one/port them to the new FM.

what kju said

what kju said

Unfortunately, unless something has changed, the understanding I have about that is that military game content should not be ported to Take On. That would include the example models, I think.

It has been misunderstood yes. Feel free to double check with Dwarden/Placebo/Marek.

@Max - it's worth the mods getting clarification on this as it's one of the reasons BIS removed the versioning check in ToH - to make it easier to include Arma content. This is from the change log...

[87837]  Changed: Addons config value requiredVersion ignored for easier addon sharing between various products (A2, TOH)

It has been misunderstood yes. Feel free to double check with Dwarden/Placebo/Marek.

I am referring to instructions from Suma, which have not yet been modified or rescinded in the moderator forum, so no I haven't misunderstood. He was very clear in the way he worded his statement.

It is possible that those policies have relaxed since then, however.

@Jedra

Based on that comment I can't tell if that is meant with the community in mind or not. Surely the possibility of easier cross-pollinating does not ensure that it is for just anyone to do. I'll see if our instructions should be updated.

Edited by Max Power

Well, officially, at least so far, our instructions have not changed.

Well, it looks like we won't be dogfighting these new Hinds against your sublime Cobra for a while then! Thanks for checking.

As far as I know, I can port my cobra where ever I want because it's not based on BIS IP. I made it from the ground up and so I can do what I want with it. What we seemingly can't do is use BIS ArmA content to make Take On helicopters, including the example models and anything based off of the example models without permission to break the license. The current license for the ArmA example models states that they can only be used for ArmA and its sequels, and any derivative works must be released under the same license.

It looks like you may be able to ArmA 2 with Take On in the future. What that means for addon compatibility, I don't know. Be advised that addon maker licenses may prohibit porting, AND also what products the addon may be used with in their current form.

I may be able to port my helicopter to whatever platform I choose, but your ability to use CWR2, in its current or future forms, with Take On or Take On ArmA has yet to be made clear. CWR2 is a special case because it's not just our IP that we're using. We have agreements with external groups and individuals.

As far as I know, I can port my cobra where ever I want because it's not based on BIS IP. I made it from the ground up and so I can do what I want with it. What we seemingly can't do is use BIS ArmA content to make Take On helicopters, including the example models and anything based off of the example models without permission to break the license. The current license for the ArmA example models states that they can only be used for ArmA and its sequels, and any derivative works must be released under the same license.

It looks like you may be able to ArmA 2 with Take On in the future. What that means for addon compatibility, I don't know. Be advised that addon maker licenses may prohibit porting, AND also what products the addon may be used with in their current form.

I may be able to port my helicopter to whatever platform I choose, but your ability to use CWR2, in its current or future forms, with Take On or Take On ArmA has yet to be made clear. CWR2 is a special case because it's not just our IP that we're using. We have agreements with external groups and individuals.

No worries - I understand that. Even when BIS give the ability to merge the two games it's still the addon maker's right to say where it is used - totally respect that. How these rights/permissions are managed if ToH/Arma launches together if both are present is a bridge yet to cross I guess!

I was actually paying you a (very) disguised compliment anyway as I think the work you put into that Cobra is outstanding. Of course it would be great to see these quality community models with the ToH flight model, but I also understand the work that needs to go into it.

An interesting world lies ahead!

No worries - I understand that. Even when BIS give the ability to merge the two games it's still the addon maker's right to say where it is used - totally respect that. How these rights/permissions are managed if ToH/Arma launches together if both are present is a bridge yet to cross I guess!

I was actually paying you a (very) disguised compliment anyway as I think the work you put into that Cobra is outstanding. Of course it would be great to see these quality community models with the ToH flight model, but I also understand the work that needs to go into it.

Well thank you :)

An interesting world lies ahead!

I agree completely.