Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Cold War Rearmed² : Demo³

Yes, unless you are using the mod parameter for something else, like a beta, in which case the mod browser selecting functionality is disabled. That's why BIS made the beta command line switch.

Edited by Max Power

Thanks, guys - that was a revelation. I've got a bit to learn about how mods are handled now.

I put a lot of work into the helicopter that no one can see, or may not notice, so I decided to take some buldozer shots to show you what you may have missed. Note that I used to know what all of these panels did, but the memory is little foggy now.

pilot%20dash%20and%20collective.jpg

You can see it a little in this shot, but the bluish black plates for each of the panels on the dash has kind of a whipe-mark pattern in the smdi map. It was supposed to simulate the pilot's gloves whiping over them as they use the switches and dials. The actual dash has a greyer, more scratched up texture.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-md8FCk9jwkk/TzNReks1hTI/AAAAAAAABKg/19yBsAA8MRs/s1069/pilotFloor.jpg

I was inititially puzzled at how I was going to tackle the floor waffles and the wear marks. I thought of how to pull it off when I was walking to the pub to grab a burger and a beer. Someone spilled coffee on the frequency card of the pilot's secondary radio :> Also notice that I hand rotated every screw so that it wasn't at a similar angle to its neighbours. I did it basically at random so occasionally they came up on a similar angle. I did this for all of the Philips (cross-head) screws all over the place, too.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-62cCIJ8ZoaU/TzNRe-OeQ1I/AAAAAAAABKo/YvX_l4UiUhw/s912/reflections.jpg

On the gunner's telescope, I baked some areas where the outside reflections are occluded by the helicopter's interior. You can see here that it blocks out the sun :)

TCU.jpg

I created all of the gunner weapon controls, including the ones you can't see because of the big telescope. The one directly behind the telescope console is how the gunner selects which missiles he will fire. There are 8 switch positions for up to 8 missiles.

fabric%20and%20vynil%202.jpg

The gunner has blue vinyl arm rests.

Edited by Max Power

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-1ob483J1HTc/TzNROpSJmUI/AAAAAAAABJU/n97Jw6tR5xk/s912/fabric%2520and%2520vynil.jpg

Another shot of the vinyl. You can also see the grid pattern of the chicken plates, and the rubber caps trim on them to protect the pilots from the corners. Also, the fabric of the inflatable cushions is double stitched in places.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-xWXTVCyMC7A/TzNRRd-M-TI/AAAAAAAABJg/RhCZtUNDm6w/s912/chickenplates.jpg

Speaking of chicken plates, I took great pains in lining up all of the anchor plates for the screws in each chicken plate (armour on the side). Also, notice there are no fuses in any of the fuse sockets :p The collective control for both pilot and gunner are wrapped in leather. The pilot's has a diamond grid texture in a ring below. I wonder what it's for.

fuses.jpg

It turned out pretty dark but there are no fuses in these sockets either. I was going to make a few different fuse sizes but then I discovered you can't really see them under any circumstances... I gues this is after I made all of the text for all of the fuzes :/

pedals%2520and%2520floor.jpg

Each crew member has their own rudder pedals. They both have some kind of tensioner or other kind of control on them. You can see here that the pedals also have BELL COBRA raised off of them, for grip, I presume. That large circle to the right of the picture is actually an ammo counter. I believe it's a spring loaded timer like an egg timer that counts down when the trigger is puller. When they reload the ammo drum, I believe they wind it back up according to how much ammo they are carrying.

I hope you had some fun looking at some details you may not have noticed. As we speak I just completed a couple of wreck models for the thing. I think I found a clever way to do it so I'm going to be posting a how to in a miniblog at ArmAstack very soon. :)

Edited by Max Power

I noticed there was a very detailed cockpit but I never realised you are THAT insane about the details :P

I really hope this model can be apreciated even more in the future. Like the instruments with ToH/ArmA3 and the rest with a 6DOF TrackIr. Don't know why but knowing so much careful detailed craftsmanship has been put into the model makes my flying experience with even better. Thanks a lot for that!

Also: have you ever considered making some tutorials on how to make such great textures/models?

Very awesome

I know some creators are a bit more anal about this, but as a budding modeller I'm really curious to see how you did the topology for the instrument panel -of course I can only assume its not made up of hundreds of elements/sections, and I've of some work coming up that may require similar level of detail -in the past my attempts to model similar as one piece often end up very messy and a pain to uv as a result

Thanks, guys :) There's a feature or two you may not have noticed and some other things so I'm going to do another one of these in a little bit.

have you ever considered making some tutorials on how to make such great textures/models?

I have a few kicking around the O2 forums. Maybe two or three. One is half finished but the information is there.

I know some creators are a bit more anal about this, but as a budding modeller I'm really curious to see how you did the topology for the instrument panel -of course I can only assume its not made up of hundreds of elements/sections, and I've of some work coming up that may require similar level of detail -in the past my attempts to model similar as one piece often end up very messy and a pain to uv as a result

I can post screenshots if you like but this was done with all floating geometry and simple shapes. You'd want to make a water tight model if you were concerned about z buffer problems or if the model was going to be rigged to deform. In this case, neither of those issues are present. In fact, no faces that the player can't see from some angle are present. Nothing has any back or bottom faces. I decided to ditch those faces to make uv unwrapping much more simple, so I'm not wasting time trying to figure out what to do with some face that no one ever sees, and there isn't a single pixel dedicated to an invisible face (or so the theory goes).

Wow Max that really is impressive. Never realised this was in the release, so got around testing it today and I'm stunned about the amount of detail you've put into this.

What size are the textures and how many did you use for each part(Fuselage, cockpit etc.)?

Max Power that is awsome, I actualy took a moment to compare your screens to ingame and felt a little sad that in game the fidelity of the textures seems to drops just enough to lose so much. I also felt a little shame, as I'll be hidding behind that fidelity drop a little when I release my Mi-24A, my textures are not as good as yours.

We are considering to use CWR2 on our dedicated server. However, we would like to keep all our vanilla missions and play during a coop session some vanilla, and some CWR missions without having to restart the server with different parameters.

My question, since CWR2 introduces more than new units and islands, do CWR2 configs might affect vanilla missions?

Thanks again for this awesome work, I feel like I'm 24 again :)

Holy shit, I just saw those pictures you posted, Max! They're fookin' brilliant! One of the finest example of artistry I have seen in the game so far.

Abs

Unbelievable work! What else should I say? This mod is SO great and nostalgic. Thank you so far for your work chaps and keep going with your amazing work. Thank you :)

CWR² shouldn't affect any vanilla content. :)

Thanks for the quick reply Celery. That's good news. For all who's interested in some CWR2 coop games, click the banner in my signature.

You really should rethink about adding this to either TKOH or Arma3 especially if it sports 6dof, if such is the case then think about what you're doing now as a "future investment" the helicopter may not be fully appreciated ingame as is now however in it's state it would technicly be ready for the next installment as opposed to having to fill in the blanks.

Max Power that is awsome, I actualy took a moment to compare your screens to ingame and felt a little sad that in game the fidelity of the textures seems to drops just enough to lose so much. I also felt a little shame, as I'll be hidding behind that fidelity drop a little when I release my Mi-24A, my textures are not as good as yours.

You shouldn't feel any shame at all! Iirc you said the Mi-24A was to be one of your first major projects and for what you've done is very good.

Are there any plans to add content outside the original OFP? Maybe something similar like the Czech and German units OA.

Are there any plans to add content outside the original OFP? Maybe something similar like the Czech and German units OA.

The extra content we already have came with addon bundles. We're not planning to add more.

Thanks for the quick reply Celery. That's good news. For all who's interested in some CWR2 coop games, click the banner in my signature.

Any disturbance of 'vanilla content' is a bug. Plain, simple, and unacceptable. They don't exist:rolleyes: When they do exist please report them on our bug tracker at

https://dev-heaven.net/projects/cwr2-cbt/issues

Any disturbance of anyone else's mod or addon is also a bug. Understandably, there might be some leeway here where we simply cannot get round some mutually exclusive (or poorly put together) 3rd party addon. But we also take all reports of this type of 'bug' seriously and make every effort to accommodate. Please report them too.

As of this posted date, I am unaware of any incompatibilities in this regard.

---------- Post added at 10:24 ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 ----------

Well the short answer is those units mentioned are already playable within cwr2. No reason to re-invent a wheel.

We have 'modernised' ofp units and vehicles to an Arrowhead standard without, we think, removing the ofp look 'n feel of those items. Ski masks and backpacks for instance. We have, already, added extra units and vehicles not available in the original game but certainly 'there' with Arrowhead. They contextually look good within cwc. Understandably, there's a fine line here where you suddenly, aren't CWC anymore. In short, there's nothing stopping anyone creating missions with 'Czech or German units' on cwr2 islands. We strongly hope people do exactly that!

The longer answer is that there are 10's of thousands of good, ofp missions to be translated and played. Many of them involving FDF mod (eg) or Barracken (eg), or Kegs Winter vehicles. We have provided Winter content and a Winter Island for that reason. To illustrate what's possible. The rest, is up to the community to add or translate content themselves. All that our small dedicated team can do is provide the way forward. To that end we supply translation details for you to make your own.

http://cwr.armedzone.com/mission-editing

One point very early on in cwr2 development was to ensure the the venerable editor102 was fully compatible with us because the vast majority of good ofp missions used it.

Hope this answers your question :bounce3:

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments. I'm just glad you are able to enjoy the work and effort I put into the cockpit. For a long time I was feeling like I bit off more than I could chew. Chalk it up to inexperience, but I was a little shocked at what you couldn't see when I finally got a pilot in there.

From what I've seen your helicopter looks pretty awesome, too. One thing that stuck out for me was that you modelled some cables and stuff to great effect. It actually had me rethinking some of the stuff I had done already.

I think the problem is with the texture detail settings in the game. I guess the lesson learned there is I spent a lot of time doing a lot of fine detail on those things that gets obliterated on even the first mip map. BIS's textures tend to look quite good at reduced detail, so I guess this means that I have too much fine detail and not enough mid sized detail- that is to say, the spacial frequency at which my maps show contrast is too fine. I need larger blobs.

Holy shit, I just saw those pictures you posted, Max! They're fookin' brilliant! One of the finest example of artistry I have seen in the game so far.

Abs

Thanks for the kind words, Abs. I really tried to bring out the differences in materials in the smdi maps. I'm glad that it shows up :)

Outstanding max... You know... You may have O.C.D :P

My psychiatrist tells me it's not as severe as all that...

You really should rethink about adding this to either TKOH or Arma3 especially if it sports 6dof, if such is the case then think about what you're doing now as a "future investment" the helicopter may not be fully appreciated ingame as is now however in it's state it would technicly be ready for the next installment as opposed to having to fill in the blanks.

I redid a few rvmats after I did these screens. I'm finding I'm slightly more satisfied with the look of the cockpit now and I'm feeling somewhat less disenchanted with the project. We'll see what the future brings.

As all other islands have the new vegetation now: Yes of course it will. :)

We have 'modernised' ofp units and vehicles to an Arrowhead standard without, we think, removing the ofp look 'n feel of those items. Ski masks and backpacks for instance. We have, already, added extra units and vehicles not available in the original game but certainly 'there' with Arrowhead. They contextually look good within cwc. Understandably, there's a fine line here where you suddenly, aren't CWC anymore. In short, there's nothing stopping anyone creating missions with 'Czech or German units' on cwr2 islands. We strongly hope people do exactly that!

I should have been more clear with my question :). What I ment to ask are ever going to see offical addons to CWR2? Since CWR2 is the definitive cold war mod for ARMA 2 it could benefit from small additions like Polish or West German units. Just like OA has Czech and German units to increase variety.

Nevertheless I'm enjoying CWR2 very much, so thank you for your efforts :).