Sign in to follow this  
Democritus

Can't capture target in Razor Two - script problem?

*minor spoilers*

After receiving no response in this thread I restarted Razor Two and found Bardak in the very first spot I visited, the castle outside Vyshnoye, in a truck. He clumsily tried to drive out of the castle for a very long time. In the end I shot the tires repeatedly (like 2 M2 mags) and he got out. And now he stands there, outside the truck, with me and my whole squad surrounding him, and nothing happens. He doesn't run away, I can't arrest him in any way. I tried to reload the game, in vain. Any ideas? Can I force the scripts to run via console? Please don't tell me I have to restart, It'd be the fifth time. Thank you.

I'm very sorry, that was obviously information I should have provided. Arma II + OA + RFT, updated to 1.60 this very morning.

Edited by Democritus

I have seen things like this happen before, as far back as 1.57 or 1.58. It is rare, and the only way I know to solve it for sure is to restart the mission, unfortunately (other than trying to reload older savegames, which you have already tried). Consider yourself fortunate that you found him at the first place you checked! I had to restart the mission many times before mastering it. You could revert to start of mission from HR campaign page to make sure things are really cleared out of your profile.

Have you tried just leaving him and going after the evidence? You can then use the UAV map to spot him later (look for red icon).

I didn't, and while that's a good idea I think I'll just restart (again) to make sure the problem is gone as you suggested.

In the meantime I tried to reload an even earlier save, when I was still far away from the castle, but when I got to Bardak I could only go through the same routine. He didn't even try to drive away this time. I parked the humvee right beside his truck, took the gunner seat, shot his tires away. Once again when he finally got out Cooper shouted at him, "Hey you! Stop! You bastard!", but Bardak wouldn't take a single step.

When Cooper yells, "Hey you! Stop! You bastard!" it usually means you have captured Bardak, and more dialog and perhaps a short cutscene occurs (can't remember exactly). I never heard that line when I couldn't capture Bardak. This type of thing happens when you find Bardak inside a vehicle. For the capture to work properly, he has to be standing on the ground unobstructed by objects. Park your humvee a distance away from him before approaching him.

Are you sure the capture objective didn't complete? After Coop yells at Bardak, you are usually done and good to go.

sadly this wasn't CITed (not with proper repro) otherwise it would be most likely fixed ...

i heard about it once but never reproduced it ...

It is a rare issue and difficult to repro. Most of the time the issue isn't encountered. I'll file a ticket if I encounter the issue.

Democritus, what other objectives, if any, have you completed in the mission?

Edited by OMAC

@OMAC

The objective "Find/Capture Bardak" does complete. However, the mission does not end. Whenever I captured Bardak in previous attempts (it happened twice) he would flee after the objective appeared as "complete". I would then chase him on foot, and after a while the in-game scene would start where he gets on the ground, then tries to shoot Cooper, then finally gives up after Cooper shoots him in return. After that StarForce 21 is called, you are told that "at least you managed to get one of the bastards" and the mission ends, whether you have all the evidence or not.

To be clearer:

- the first time I finished the mission I got 2/4 pieces of evidence, but couldn't get anything more within the time limit (wasted time with the empty camps and trying all the cool toys and so forth). I restarted to do better.

- the second time I got 2/4 pieces of evidence after visiting the northernmost camp and the castle. Then I helped the farmer in Staroye. He told me to go to the power plant. Following the advice of the guy there I got to the quarry outside a city along the coast. There I found Bardak, on foot, protected by three guys. He fled and I followed and then arrested him as described above. When I arrested him the mission ended. I got to the next mission but, being the idiot I am, I restarted Razor Two to get all the evidence, in case it influences the campaign somehow.

- the third time I did almost the same as above and finally got all the evidence. Took a while to get the dogtags in the quarry, because they are near Bardak and difficult to pick up. I always picked up the tags and couldn't reach Bardak afterwards. I then discovered that if you switch to one of your teammates you can walk up to Bardak without him fleeing (that only happens with Cooper it seems, or at least did in 1.59) and pick up the tags. So I finished the mission with Bardak and 4/4 evidence, but couldn't get to the following mission because of the problem described in the other thread.

@Dwarden

All I can do is upload the save somewhere, if it's of any use. No point in dwelling on it though, especially for what is apparently a rare bug.

I'll just restart this evening or tomorrow, and report back if I find more problems. In the meantime, thank you both (and BIS for 1.60) and merry Christmas :)

I replied hours ago, but my post is still in the mod queue. Maybe it's because it's a wall of text. I'll try with a shorter reply. The "Find/capture Bardak" objective does complete, but usually after that Bardak flees, I follow, and then there's the cutscene where he's arrested and the mission ends, with or without all the evidence collected. Not this time. More if my earlier post gets through.

edit: It got through! Aside from what I wrote there I noticed two things:

- Bardak only moves his truck if I start shooting at the tires or crash against him with the humvee. I tried doing it and then just waiting. He tries to drive away, but keeps crashing against the walls. I don't think the AI is able to drive out of there, I would suggest relocating the truck outside or deleting a section of wall. Or having Bardak be always on foot if in the castle.

- My own team can't navigate inside the castle. Once they enter they no longer respond to move orders, e.g. they don't move when "return to formation" is issued, and they may go somewhere (usually outside) when issued the simple "move" command but never to their destination. I have to move them one by one by switching to them. This always happens in this game. I can't remember this being an issue in 1.59, but to be honest I'm not sure at all.

At this point I'll restart the game (didn't try yet - might have to wait till early January) and check if at least squad behaviour returns to normal, and report back.

Edited by Democritus

Greets,

I have had similar problems. My current run through, I found Bardok in the quarry (you have to complete the cowshed mission first with the civilians); first go to power plant, then quarry. I found him there, but he fled up the cliffs and I could not follow him at all. I put a round in his legs, but he carried on crawling up, so then I shot him dead and the mission ended.

I dont know how this affects the outcome of the campaign, unsure.

You could also capture him in Gorka, I have done that - he comes from the south in his car. But you have to be quick to get there when you get the radio call through.

I also suffered from the team not responding to orders, its happened on several occasions. I have only ever got has far as Manhatten; my last campaign suffered with some weird bugs that I lost my arty call when I found the main base. It just was not in the menu.

This is another run through now. Am using main game, Combined Ops, BAF all updated to 1.60.

So, I restarted again and thank goodness this time I was able to finish. I did the same as my third attempt (Vishnoye, castle, camp, Staroye, power plant and quarry) but this time Bardak wasn't there and I had to wait for him in Gorka. After the call from HQ he came crawling uphill in a car, so I threw him off the road and shot his tires. He exited and this time he escaped as normal. I folllowed him for a while and then he stopped and the mission ended.

When I checked the castle earlier in the mission I encountered the same problem as before: my squad wouldn't follow move orders in there, the only solution was switching to each soldier. I'm confident this would happen every time if I restarted the mission. I'll see if the problem repeats in closed areas elsewhere.

By the way, I'm at the start of the following mission now, and my squad isn't following my bike... I hope the mistake is mine this time.