Cool, i wasn't really sure if it touched AI in any meaningful way but have a new appreciation for the mod :)

Hello,

I was surprised at what happened today.

I have Operation Arrowhead standalone and patched to the latest version 1.62.

It is the first time i download and install ACE2 core, the latest stable versions as seen on the website yesterday, i extracted the main @CBA and @ACE folders to my standalone ARMA2 OA folder and extracted the userconfig file to its right location. Then, without adding anything to the command line to any shortcut i just launched the main EXE of ARMA 2 OA and was surprised to see CBA and ACE already listed on my expansions menu in game. So I enabled them and restarted the game and ACE was active...as the new logo would tell.

Is this normal?

Gameplay issues:

#1: Massive FPS drop in game,

#2: the Javelin missile launcher is very clunky to use and has a weird and cropped out viewing angle when using its optics,

#3: the fire fights are much longer now with almost no immediate hits at all. My squad only takes injuries during a 10min firefight, no deaths, and I only kill the enemy AI when i snipe them. Otherwise the firefight will keep on going until the ammo runs out. AIs are not killing each other.

Is this normal with the ACE2 core mod?

Many thanks for any feedback.

Ron

Edited by ronferri

Hello,

I was surprised at what happened today.

I have Operation Arrowhead standalone and patched to the latest version 1.62.

It is the first time i download and install ACE2 core, the latest stable versions as seen on the website yesterday, i extracted the main @CBA and @ACE folders to my standalone ARMA2 OA folder and extracted the userconfig file to its right location. Then, without adding anything to the command line to any shortcut i just launched the main EXE of ARMA 2 OA and was surprised to see CBA and ACE already listed on my expansions menu in game. So I enabled them and restarted the game and ACE was active...as the new logo would tell.

Is this normal?

Gameplay issues:

#1: Massive FPS drop in game,

#2: the Javelin missile launcher is very clunky to use and has a weird and cropped out viewing angle when using its optics,

#3: the fire fights are much longer now with almost no immediate hits at all. My squad only takes injuries during a 10min firefight, no deaths, and I only kill the enemy AI when i snipe them. Otherwise the firefight will keep on going until the ammo runs out. AIs are not killing each other.

Is this normal with the ACE2 core mod?

Many thanks for any feedback.

Ron

That doesn´t sound normal....

I think i was playing a mission that was not compatible with ACE2. It was called Warzone: Continuing Hope.

I downloaded a campaign from Armaholic which was designed with ACE2, called : A Noble Cause and this is what I noticed, please let me know if it's normal.

1- The sniper shots were extremely parabolic over a 1km distance, coupled with travel delay time. I had to aim up high so the bullet would go on a concave trajectory, just like a medieval cannon shot, and reach the target one click away (around 1,000m). Yes, I did use : Shift+V to adjust for elevation but still the parabolic trajectory AND the bullet delay were significant. If this is a normal feature for the sake of realism, then fair enough.

2- I had to use my human brains to get that far away shot right after several attempts, whereas the sniper AI in my squad kept missing by at least 250m (target is 1000m away) and he never corrected his aim in the dozen or so shots he took afterwards. I was just watching him. Can't he adjust for elevation like I did?

3- Several squad mates got injured but the medic got stuck on the heal order; he stood by them doing nothing. What about the bandages, epinephrin and morphine in their backpacks, how do i make them apply them on themselves?

Thanks again.

Edited by ronferri

ronferri -

1- Most rifles can be zeroed to 1000m, while the big guns can be zeroed to 2km+. With proper elevation and windage, you should be able to hit any target within 1km without any holdoff. Check your procedures!

2-/3- Understand that ACE breaks a lot of AI behavior by making fundamental changes in the way certain systems work. The medical system is a notable example of this.

Also for the ACE lovers: Most of use got a facebook account, so if you love coops/pvp missions or you got a custom mission you wanna play with others, feel free to join this group. Should provide quick access to other players 'n stuff. Supposed to be some kind of player-pool regarding arma missions.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/arma.coop.pvp/

Often ppl wanna try their missions or they create events for which they need guys. If you don#t like facebook , it's fine. Otherwise, just hop in. It's Saturday evening and you made a cool coop, just do a post in that group and others might join you.

Cheers

Rudy

Edited by Fruity_Rudy

Also for the ACE lovers: Most of use got a facebook account, so if you love coops/pvp missions or you got a custom mission you wanna play with others, feel free to join this group. Should provide quick access to other players 'n stuff. Supposed to be some kind of player-pool regarding arma missions.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/arma.coop.pvp/

Often ppl wanna try their missions or they create events for which they need guys. If you don#t like facebook , it's fine. Otherwise, just hop in. It's Saturday evening and you made a cool coop, just do a post in that group and others might join you.

Cheers

Rudy

This is a good idea, but I get a "Sorry, this page isn't available" facebook message.

But the medic is broken after i installed ACE2. He is not healing people anymore and the AI are not using their first aid items in their backpacks when injured. I don't think that's how it's meant to be.

And....the path finding of units has become horrible and really annoying while playing A Noble Cause with ACE2; I can't issue a "Regroup" order without them telling me "Where are you" even if I am 100m away.

Either this campaign is scripted really badly, or I need to tweak ACE2 configs, or this mod is way too much overrated.

This is a good idea, but I get a "Sorry, this page isn't available" facebook message.

Really? That's strange..should work though..Working fine for me..try again :)

But the medic is broken after i installed ACE2. He is not healing people anymore and the AI are not using their first aid items in their backpacks when injured. I don't think that's how it's meant to be.

And....the path finding of units has become horrible and really annoying while playing A Noble Cause with ACE2; I can't issue a "Regroup" order without them telling me "Where are you" even if I am 100m away.

Either this campaign is scripted really badly, or I need to tweak ACE2 configs, or this mod is way too much overrated.

i haven't had these issues before.. Maybe you're playing something which is not fully ace supported..

Your problems sound extremely unusual. Maybe you installed the mod wrong?

Thanks for the confirmation, Rudy. That is weird since A Noble Cause claims to be fully supporting ACE2 which is a core requirement for the campaign.

Can you, or anyone of you guys, please recommend a SP mission or campaign that is compatible with ACE2 so i can finally test the features of this mod without bugs and hassles? Where the medic does his job and heals and the AI can find their path along a 500m waypoint?

I have no other mods installed.

Many thanks.

EDIT: Tonci87, as i mentioned a couple of posts earlier, I extracted @ACE2 folders to my main game folder, placed userconfig file in its right place and then launched the game WITHOUT adding commands to the shortcut. The mods got automatically listed in the Expansions menu in game, so i selected all of them (CBA and the 5 ACE2 mods) and enabled them, and restarted the game. It reloaded with ACE2 active: new logo, new ACE2 Options menu, new menus during gameplay, and all the new features and sounds....they are all there.

Except for:

1- the medic bug, he won't heal. Squad mates wont use their first aid items as well/no option to force them use that.

2- path finding is horrible, AI acts extremely stupid and it's time consuming.

This is the mission I am playing: A Noble Cause

If anyone knows a more compatible ACE2 mission/campaign please let me know.

Edited by ronferri

ronferri, this mission supports a very old version of ACE, from the days it didn't include the ACE wounding system. I think that's why your men are not using the medical equipment.

I think the path finding is just Arma being Arma. Units that are far away can't regroup with you, issue them a "move command instead.

Rudy, is the group open to public?

Usually , if you got the link, you simply ask to join , but i made it public now. Really strang you can't even see it.

And Ron, you can also set parameters regarding ai behavior in ACE. There's a config for that.

Thanks for the confirmation, Rudy. That is weird since A Noble Cause claims to be fully supporting ACE2 which is a core requirement for the campaign.

Can you, or anyone of you guys, please recommend a SP mission or campaign that is compatible with ACE2 so i can finally test the features of this mod without bugs and hassles? Where the medic does his job and heals and the AI can find their path along a 500m waypoint?

I have no other mods installed.

Many thanks.

EDIT: Tonci87, as i mentioned a couple of posts earlier, I extracted @ACE2 folders to my main game folder, placed userconfig file in its right place and then launched the game WITHOUT adding commands to the shortcut. The mods got automatically listed in the Expansions menu in game, so i selected all of them (CBA and the 5 ACE2 mods) and enabled them, and restarted the game. It reloaded with ACE2 active: new logo, new ACE2 Options menu, new menus during gameplay, and all the new features and sounds....they are all there.

Except for:

1- the medic bug, he won't heal. Squad mates wont use their first aid items as well/no option to force them use that.

2- path finding is horrible, AI acts extremely stupid and it's time consuming.

This is the mission I am playing: A Noble Cause

If anyone knows a more compatible ACE2 mission/campaign please let me know.

1. This always depends on how the mission is made. If the Mission has the BIS First Aid Module then your Medics will act like you know it from vanilla gameplay (I prefer this option in SP)

If the Mission has ACE First Aid Modules then your Medics will only heal you if they have the items to do so. They need Bandages, Morphium, Epinephrin, First Aid Kits. (I think that the ACE First Aid Module is one of the best ACE Features in MP, but for SP it is a little bit too much and the AI can´t use it that well.)

2. That shouldn´t be the case. AI will advance a little bit more cautious (slower) with ACE but they shouldn´t behave stupid. You may want to install ASR_AI and TPWCAS to give you better AI.

Yes i am actually using all ACE core and secondary addons.

It appears A Noble Cause is an old mission with lots of compatibility issues. I had a better time enjoying ACE2 with Animal Missions, except for these observations:

1- I made a direct hit to a parked HIND chopper with a METS missile launcher and it did not explode! The hit left a black burnt spot and pushed the heli a few inches on the ground but it did not explode. Seriously? Is there anything i missed?

2- How do I trigger a satchel charge after placing it?

1- I made a direct hit to a parked HIND chopper with a METS missile launcher and it did not explode! The hit left a black burnt spot and pushed the heli a few inches on the ground but it did not explode. Seriously? Is there anything i missed?

Do you mean a Metis missile? If so, this is an anti-tank missile and the impact results on a helicopter, that you encountered, are quite realistic, actually. Use the satchel charges.

2- How do I trigger a satchel charge after placing it?

Look directly at it from up-close > Interaction key > Now you have two options, either attach a clacker that will allow you to detonate using a radio signal (remove safety and detonate - all from the regular action menu), or set a fuse for timed detonation. The length of the fuse determines the time it will take for the charge to detonate. Make sure to Arm the satchel before you leave it (interaction key).

Edited by Variable

Do you mean a Metis missile? If so, this is an anti-tank missile and the impact results on a helicopter, that you encountered, are quite realistic, actually. Use the satchel charges.

Look directly at it from up-close > Interaction key > Now you have two options, either attach a clacker that will allow you to detonate using a radio signal (remove safety and detonate - all from the regular action menu), or set a fuse for timed detonation. The length of the fuse determines the time it will take for the charge to detonate. Make sure to Arm the satchel before you leave it (interaction key).

Thanks Variable.

The HIND chopper was parked on the ground, what difference does it make it if is a tank or a heli. It is still a vehicle with an engine, fuel, and ammunition. It should explode upon missile impact. Are you sure this is normal in ARMA2 OA with ACE2 ? (yes i meant the metis)

Hitting it with an rpg-18 after restarting the game actually blew it up so i dont see why a metis wouldn't. maybe a second Metis should have done the trick?

Edited by ronferri

What RPG round?

A shaped charge warhead (like the Metis) is most likely just going to punch a big hole straight through whatever it hits. Unless you hit the ammo directly or punched through a fuel bladder then you are probably not going to get an explosion.

A frag HE warhead is going to throw frag all around and have more heat and concussion effects.

Eitherway the chopper is probably not going to fly. Just because it didn't blow doesn't mean you didn't render it useless.

Thanks Variable.

The HIND chopper was parked on the ground, what difference does it make it if is a tank or a heli. It is still a vehicle with an engine, fuel, and ammunition. It should explode upon missile impact. Are you sure this is normal in ARMA2 OA with ACE2 ? (yes i meant the metis)

Hitting it with an rpg-18 after reloading a save game actually blew it up so i dont see why a metis wouldn't. maybe a second Metis should have done the trick?

That s an ACE Feature, quite often you will disable vehicels instead of blowing them up, wich is quite realistic. I bet that Hind was too damaged to take off after that hit.

Ok so my friend tried to help me with my ACE Goggles by going into aceclippi and setting the identity but when I tried launching ArmA it would come up with this error message: File x\ace\addons\settings_external\CCfgIdentities.hpp, line 4: '/CfgIdentities/ACE_Original_Identity.Voodoo': '"' encountered instead of '=' I've tried deleting and re-installing ACE and ArmA but the error message keeps coming up whenever I try to start ArmA with ACE on....If someone could help it would be much appreciated

P.S. I am often referred to as 'Voodoo'...so I tend to put that as my in-game identity....so thats why it say '_Identity.Voodoo'

What RPG round?

A shaped charge warhead (like the Metis) is most likely just going to punch a big hole straight through whatever it hits. Unless you hit the ammo directly or punched through a fuel bladder then you are probably not going to get an explosion.

A frag HE warhead is going to throw frag all around and have more heat and concussion effects.

Eitherway the chopper is probably not going to fly. Just because it didn't blow doesn't mean you didn't render it useless.

That s an ACE Feature, quite often you will disable vehicels instead of blowing them up, wich is quite realistic. I bet that Hind was too damaged to take off after that hit.

Cheers!

Edited by ronferri

i got a problem loading saved games after installing ACE2. And I mean games saved only after CBA and ACE2 have been activated; not old saved games from vanilla version.

This happens to all missions while ACE2 and CBA are enabled, whether they are ACE2 compatible or not. Saving in game works fine and I can see the save game file in My documents/Arma 2, but when I try to revert after dying it exits to main menu and says:

"You cannot play/edit this mission; it is dependent on downloadable content that has been deleted. ca_community_configuration_project_e"

How come I was playing it in the first place and only after reverting i get this?

P.S: I have been playing Arma 2 OA for 2 years with no problems and no mods. ACE2 and CBA are the first mods i've tried.

Thanks.

UPDATE: I understand that the @CBA_CO needs Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead Beta patch 100697 or higher. I got my Arma 2 OA patched to 1.62 (retail version), is that older or newer than the beta patch 100697? I am kind of confused. This might be the reason I am getting all these CBA warning and error messages when launching the game and when trying to retrieve saved games.

UPDATE 2: Hopefully this is my solution. I will update with the latest beta patch, add the new command phrase for the beta to the shortcut ( -mod=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion) and see if CBA starts working properly and allow me to load saved games among other things.

Edited by ronferri

UPDATE: I understand that the @CBA_CO needs Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead Beta patch 100697 or higher. I got my Arma 2 OA patched to 1.62 (retail version), is that older or newer than the beta patch 100697? I am kind of confused. This might be the reason I am getting all these CBA warning and error messages when launching the game and when trying to retrieve saved games.

Thanks.

The current expansion beta is 103718. If you are not using the expansion beta, you need to use CBA, CBA_A2, and CBA_OA (yes, all three together). CBA_CO will not work.

Hi

Everytime when i change my profile name i lose my ACE key bindings (which sucks because i have to rebind everything as im using esdf layout), i thought the information is saved in ArmA2\userconfig\ACE\ace_keys.hpp but when i change keys that file is not touched. So where does ACE save the key binding information? (im running ACE Dev 1.14)