Sign in to follow this  
walker

[TED]: The software of bionics, coding to the visual cotex.

Hi all

The coding of external inputs, from sense organs, to the brain has been discovered. The example shown is for bionic eyes but the applications and significance go far beyond that.

Aa2JfigaNcs

This has massive importance first of all to bionics, as it will allow not just bionic eyes but also ears and limbs that can feel, but also for brain interfaces of all kinds. The discovery of the sense encoding of the brain will have effects on, computer technology and the military.

Kind Regards walker

Good news for everyone with disabilities. I wonder what the price tag will be for the initial batch...

... I wonder what the price tag will be for the initial batch...

Hi all

The answer may come a little sooner than you think. :)

Kind Regards walker

Hi all

You all seem to be missing the larger picture:

This is path to the design for direct person to machine interfaces, allowing us to extend our minds in to the electronic, all that stuff from Sci Fi from William Gibson to the Matrix, mind down loads, sampled AI?

As I keep pointing out. The Singularity is Near.

Why do you think so many of the worlds movers and shakers read Ray Kurzweil?

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

Gotta love TED talks, always find them interesting, certainly looks like a good step forward to battling blindness. Also very interesting to see the application for other areas of the human body!

Hi all

A kind of update on this. I also had another thread dealing with images recovered from thoughts but the latest work in the field of electronic mind reading is reading the words your mind is thinking.

1 February 2012 Last updated at 04:29

Science decodes 'internal voices'

By Jason Palmer

Researchers have demonstrated a striking method to reconstruct words, based on the brain waves of patients thinking of those words.

The technique reported in PLoS Biology relies on gathering electrical signals directly from patients' brains.

Based on signals from listening patients, a computer model was used to reconstruct the sounds of words that patients were thinking of...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-16811042

As allways follow the link to the original article in full

Everyday the singularity gets closer.

Kind regards walker

Hi all

A kind of update on this. I also had another thread dealing with images recovered from thoughts but the latest work in the field of electronic mind reading is reading the words your mind is thinking.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-16811042

As allways follow the link to the original article in full

Everyday the singularity gets closer.

Kind regards walker

I think it should be in a new topic, or change the topic title when you adding it.

Actually, it's not only singularity getting closer with such technology they going forward, but we also being curious of human being, is their own body are limited and only able to be better by changing themselves? If yes, are they still considering as human being?

Hi all

Another update on the mapping of the brain and thought, appropriately enough this one deals with how we map the world around us and the way we remember events as a map too.

http://www.ted.com/talks/neil_burgess_how_your_brain_tells_you_where_you_are.html

It is interesting to note that one method the brain uses is a triangulation grid just like sat nav, though not surprising it is the mathematically most perfect, simple and elegant solution, so evolution was bound find it. It is also fundamental to the 3 dimensional nature of reality as we perceive it. So we do in fact model the world around us in our brains. It also points out that kinesthesia is one of our primary memory tools.

Everyday our map of the mind becomes more accurate and the singularity gets nearer.

Kind regards walker

Edited by walker