Sign in to follow this  
maruk

Please share your 1.60 impressions

BIS, all you need to do is just put in some new content and maybe another campaign on top of this and put a price tag on it. I will gladly pay again. :)

edit: ok i'll pay even without the campaign

Yes thats a very good patch! No doubt about it. Excellent work.

Furthermore i'd like to highlight the fact, that i like the new direction BIS is going - hearing what the community has to say, which bugs/features are important to them/us and using the Community-Issue-Tracker as a Standard, etc.

Not that BIS never cared about the community - i don't want to say that - but it was never that strong/caring before.

Guess it has something to do with better manpower, hiring of Dwarden and others, etc.

A few simple questions from someone who doesn't dig into the latest tickets and bikis

FXAA Anti-Aliasing mode

I see that there are levels that can be changed for this in the cfg file, are there any indications on which level does what graphically?

user-definable memory allocators

Is this adjusted through the video memory option under the video tab ingame?

Looked around and ingame and the above are guesses.

As said by everyone else.....thanks to BIS for the ongoing support and patch:):)

Regarding memory allocators this is what i researched last night regarding the mem allocators. Seems like it more geared toward troubleshooting & developing rather than a user performance enhancer like FXAA.

Regarding FXAA, read here. The values are 0 - 17, increasing the amount of FXAA with increasing value. I'm running FXAA at 12 to keep my frames at a constant 60 fps with V-synch on. It's trial and error. Find a short mission and keep playing until you see what the best IQ and performance setting.

I hope this helps.

Overall, excellent job on the patch BIS, ARMA 2 / OA single player now runs very well at more constant fps with FXAA. No more fps dropping because I'm using a scope. Best patch so far.

Thanks!!! I'm looking forward to ARMA 3.

To me this has been the best patch so far. MP rocks! Very smooth now.

Regarding memory allocators this is what i researched last night regarding the mem allocators. Seems like it more geared toward troubleshooting & developing rather than a user performance enhancer like FXAA.

Regarding FXAA, read here. The values are 0 - 17, increasing the amount of FXAA with increasing value. I'm running FXAA at 12 to keep my frames at a constant 60 fps with V-synch on. It's trial and error. Find a short mission and keep playing until you see what the best IQ and performance setting.

I hope this helps.

Excellent summary Sailindawg...basically the memory allocation isn't for lighthearted and I'll start around your number of 12 and play with the FXAA!

Thanks for the quick response!

NP, the mem allocators are more the developing inclined. Be cool if someone could put a tutorial up for that.

memory allocator might have quite impact for game stability or performance or smoothness...

for example i like most the Intel TBB v4 allocator (while v3 is default)

usage is quite simple , just use proper command-line parameter

Edited by Dwarden

I was hoping for better performance with 1.60... :/

We run a large complex mission(Takistan Life), and with the mission just launched and one player logged on, in 1.59 the CPU usage was around 65%..

Our server is a Xeon E31230 3.4GHz with 8Gb ram, running CentOS 6.

With 1.60 it's at >80% under the same circumstances.

10 players and its maxed out at 110-ish %, it does not seem to be able to utilize more than that for some reason...

top - 23:39:03 up 1 day, 22:32, 2 users, load average: 1.01, 0.96, 0.92

Tasks: 193 total, 2 running, 191 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

Cpu0 :100.0%us, 0.0%sy, 0.0%ni, 0.0%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st

Cpu1 : 5.6%us, 2.8%sy, 0.0%ni, 91.7%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st

Cpu2 : 2.9%us, 0.0%sy, 0.0%ni, 97.1%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st

Cpu3 : 0.0%us, 0.0%sy, 0.0%ni,100.0%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st

Cpu4 : 0.0%us, 0.0%sy, 0.0%ni,100.0%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st

Cpu5 : 2.9%us, 0.0%sy, 0.0%ni, 97.1%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st

Cpu6 : 0.0%us, 0.0%sy, 0.0%ni,100.0%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st

Cpu7 : 0.0%us, 0.0%sy, 0.0%ni,100.0%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st

Mem: 8184516k total, 6610148k used, 1574368k free, 207448k buffers

Swap: 10289144k total, 52k used, 10289092k free, 3928952k cached

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND

7484 armaserver 20 0 836m 787m 12m R 105.9 9.9 236:05.81 server

Any ideas on how to improve performance? The server starts getting very laggy with >40 players..

/ Preed

I was very happy with the patch... but then - has anyone else noticed grass and bushes being above the ground, like in the air? Never saw that before. I tried Hike in the hills and immediately noticed this while running behind buildings on the right side of the road where steep terrain begins. I then started searching for more more hovering grass and bushes and there were quite a lot. Is this an old bug? Am I the only one having this or is it the new patch? Doesnt look very good, ... it distracts me quite a lot ... :/

memory allocator might have quite impact for game stability or performance or smoothness...

Thanks Dwarden, I'll give it a try with the "-malloc=" launch command. I initially thought the game used all of those malloc files. Thanks again!

@Wladez

I've been running the Hike in the Hills mission, with ACE and it's extras, with no problems. All textures & grass/rocks all look rooted. Only problem with the mission is that with ACE, the Opfor shoot down the extraction chopper. Otherwise, all textures and world items look as intended.

Edited by Sailindawg

Seems to be an amazing patch. I almost want to pay for it. How can I give BIS money to continue the good work?

Donate to their Christmas party, stat.

Sailindawg: well, don't know what's going on then ... for me bushes have started flying

here's the screenshot if anyone else can see something similiar in their games ..

2dtpr8x.jpg

What about the Windows 7 allocator?

What about the Windows 7 allocator?

not using it, stutter for me ...

but this is different per hardware setup, driver setup and so on ...

I occasionally get crashes so I want to try these memory allocators but I'm confused how to use them.

I downloaded this. I extracted it and got a lot of folders and a lot of files, do I have to place the whole thing in a "dll" folder in my ArmA 2 directory and then add -malloc=tbb4malloc_bi to my ArmA 2 shortcut target line?

folgore, read the wiki regarding mem allocators written by BIS. Dwarden wrote back to on of my posts and said one could go into the game DLL file (where the malloc files reside) and try using the tbb4 file by way of the launch command, -malloc=tbb4xxx. The game by default uses tbb3. I tried tbb4 as described and the game ran well.

multiplayer is much smoother, no more warping

For this, one of the GREATEST patches ever.

folgore, read the wiki regarding mem allocators written by BIS. Dwarden wrote back to on of my posts and said one could go into the game DLL file (where the malloc files reside) and try using the tbb4 file by way of the launch command, -malloc=tbb4xxx. The game by default uses tbb3. I tried tbb4 as described and the game ran well.

Damn, I didn't see there already was a dll folder in A2 directory with everything needed inside. Got that, thanks.:p

you don't need download nor compile anything, the game has multiple memory allocators already packed and available ...

read the BIKI page to use correct command to switch between them ...

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA_2:_Custom_Memory_Allocator#Commandline_parameter

Edited by Dwarden

Was playing on 7th Cav yesterday, aside from the noob's messing up the game bcause admin didnt work it was excellent.

smooth AI, smooth vehicle handling.. love it. Flew a littlebird for 2 hours without any weird shaking :D

Hi.

your new patch is great, but I encounter some problem with it:

in my "campaigns" folder, i have usermade campaigns.

however, in the campaign menu (in game), each of them appears twice.

moreover, TigerForce from HEXAgon/OFrP has the same problem, and it's worse for him, cause sometimes, his game crashes, or the savegame function makes the game quit.

do you know where it can come from?

or maybe make a fix for the patch?

(my topic about the problem:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=129134)

thanks very much

Wiki

I've got a problem with enabling expansions via the Expansions Menu in OA. I run the Steam version, and ever since it updated to 1.60, I haven't been able to enable any custom addons via the menu.

Well, to be correct, it's not that I can't check them to enable them. The problem is that, after I check them all as enabled and click okay, and after the game restarts to enable them, none of them are enabled. So something is not saving what mods are enabled. Is it because of this new addons through registry feature?

I know that there's the shortcut target line option, but for some reason, my ArmA2 OA game crashes after a little while when running addons via the shortcut target line, so I use the ingame menu. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.