Rydygier

HETMAN - Artificial Commander

For HAC users: What is the maximum number of simultaneously used by you Leaders?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. For HAC users: What is the maximum number of simultaneously used by you Leaders?

• Only one
    • Two
    • Three
    • Four of them
    • Five
    • Six
    • Seven
    • All eight!

Well, for sure this should be reproduced with only HAC and no more addons to be sure, that this is HAC involved. In orders executing code there are parts, that makes cargo unload/load sometimes, so HAC fault is not impossible, personally never saw such thing. I'll perform some tests.

Also, if this is HAC-related, apart of repro, very valuable would be info, during exactly what kind of order execution this happens (recon, attack, capturing, other...), and maybe even on which part (before arriving at mission area, during target area activity or at return (if there is return)). This way I can determine, which part of code is troublemaking. Just did some tests with recon, where I'm team leader with LAV25 assigned - no such problems (but found another problem BTW, where my group was considered as exhausted and got rest order - one bracket misplaced, will be fixed in the upcoming release).

Edited by Rydygier

Hi!

I have a general question regarding armed transports. When I am commanding a squad with transport vehicles attached (such as HMMWVs, Strykers or addon vehicles such as EXA's RG31 or the Ridgeback), even if I am in the vehicle I always get assigned a "get in" command. After that, the command chain for me stalls, sometimes for ages. Apparently I can fix it by disembarking everybody, and then re-embarking. When I get a command to leave the vehicles, I also usually get a "get out" instead of an "unload" command.

This seems to affect the AI too, who sometimes get out of their vehicles, and then not all squad members get in again resulting in Units trailing the vehicles, or gunners not getting into their gunner positions again and instead occupying cargo seats.

I´ve not got a repro mission as I am still trying to determine if this is a problem with this one Mission I have, or if it is something that happens in general. Do I have incorrect settings or wrongly applied classname tags in the lists?

I´ll upload a repro as soon as I figure out which vehicles actually are affected and under what circumstances. It is just something I noticed whenever I play one particular (addon heavy) mission I built, and it makes the mission unplayable for me due to the erratic behaviour of this weird glitch.

I've seen this before and I believe it is in relation to HAC-BB issuing orders, but I wasn't able to isolate the problem, even without addons. The High-Command module can help determine the group names in game (Ctrl+Space on the map screen) and the RPT file can tell you which group is having trouble ("C:\Users\YourProfileName\AppData\Local\ArmA 2 OA\arma2oa.RPT" opened in a text editor).

MoveIn: Soldier B 2-4-A:1 already in vehicle B 2-4-A:1
MoveIn: Soldier B 2-4-A:2 already in vehicle B 2-4-A:2
MoveIn: Soldier B 2-4-A:1 already in vehicle B 2-4-A:1
MoveIn: Soldier B 2-4-A:2 already in vehicle B 2-4-A:2

That's what my RPT looks like when this happens.

HAC 1.4 released.

What's new:

1. FIXED: mechanized groups do not return into APC after the mission;

2. FIXED: HAC's tasks overwrite pre-made briefing tasks;

3. NEW: a way to exclude chosen empty vehicle from cargo usage;

Add into chosen empty vehicle init field following line:

this setVariable ["Hired",true];

(can be any time via script changed to false for re-enabling. All already assigned by HAC empty vehicles have this variable set as true)

4. IMPROVED: MP compatibility. Player-HQ comm active for MP dedicated (experimental);

Added server check on init.

Client-side visible briefing tasks and voice comm with HQ.

Differencies:

- in MP client-side there is no on screen, sidechat debug and no sign of map reading. Fulfilled tasks are not deleted, but only marked as done.

Additional requirements for MP:

- present on map function module;

- in BB present on map RydBB_MC - customized battlefield area.

5. NEW: Ammo chute drops from special chosen air support units;

For such specific tasks can be chosen air groups (recomended one vehicle in a group) by adding their group names into RydHQ_AmmoDrop array. All these groups will be excluded from al tasks, from which support units are excluded.

Additionally o map should be present circular trigger named RydHQ(B-H)_AmmoDepot, that will mark area, within which HAC will search for available ammo boxes to drop. And of course should be present ammo box(es) inside this area. During ammo drop mission ammo box will be removed from ammo depot and deployed with a chute over drop zone, when air unit reach it. Each supplied group will be added into internal RydHQ_Boxed array. Groups present in this array are excluded from this kind of re-supply support, so by default each group can get one box at most, unless it is manualy removed from that array after each amo drop for that group.

Note, that customizing of ammo box content will fail, as box is due to some issues removed and respawned in the same place after drop. So at the end box content will be always default.

BTW now as combat ineffective due to lack of ammo would be considered a combat group (unarmed by default excluded), in which one or more units have no any magazines, opposite to previous method, where average magazines count per unit was calculated and compared with leader's personality factors.

6. IMPROVED: new sniper mission behavior;

Now sniper missions looks quite different. Is chosen good sniping spot, sniper will stealthy approach it, then will look for designated target until get clear shot chance or 20 minutes will pass. If there is chance for shot, a few shots will be fired (2-3), then sniper should withdraw regardless of effect. Also snipers would be chosen for more missions than previously. Recommended is keeping snipers alone in own, one-man groups (good idea may be delete or replace marksman/sniper units from regular infantry groups, or their classnames from snipers category, if these groups shouldn't be used like snipers sometimes), with maximized skill.

7. NEW: SpecFor category with own mission kind: to eliminate most valuable enemies or guard own HQ if idle or chosen by user for it;

Groups, that contain at least one unit of such category (by default only vanilla specnaz, but also Delta force from OA), will be treated as SpecFor groups. SF are excluded from all tasks but resting, SF idle (constant guarding of own HQ group), and SF atack mission.

The more guarding groups, the bigger chance, that leader will send one or more SF groups to eliminate some valuable targets, if known (most tempting is enemy HQ, but also possible target can become enemy arty or static group. Chance is very low, if target is armored, and higher at night). Chances for SF attack depend also on Leader's personality. If some groups should be for sure chosen only for bodyguarding HQ, their group names should be added into RydHQ_SFBodyGuard init array.

8. IMPROVED: Optional temporary invisible LZ helipad for cargo choppers to help them not crash in difficult terrain;

proved to be really helpfull for avoiding LZ chopper crashes on diffiuclt terrain. However place finder function is quite heavy, can cause ocasional tinly micro-lags, so this is turned off by default. Can by activated via RydHQ_LZ = true; init variable.

9. NEW: Included optional RHQ arrays for OA, BAF, PMC and ACR that can be used with single boolean variable;

So no more needed RHQ sets for official A2 expansions. Sets was double checked, but it is not 100% guaranteed, that all categories are on their places. To use give set define as true in init config one of shared by all leaders variables:

RydHQ_OALib, RydHQ_BAFLib, RydHQ_PMCLib, RydHQ_ACRLib.

Of course usual RHQ sets can be still used with or instead of this.

10. IMPROVED: improved capturing objectives handling, that will speed up conquering objectives;

Now capturing in regular and BB mode should be conducted faster, without waiting for resets. Loosing objectives is still related with reset check.

11. IMPROVED: customizable main BB cycle interval;

By defining as positive integer RydBB_MainInterval (shared by both BBs, is in minutes, not seconds. Minimal possible cycle interval is one minute, default - 20 minutes).

12. NEW: "CargoOnly" and "NoCargo" arrays;

RydHQ_CargoOnly array is for group names for groups, that should be used as cargo only.

RydHQ_NoCargo array is for groups, that shouldn't be used as cargo.

13. NEW: optional repositioning for air units, that's landing area became too far from current leader's position - can be useful for BB on big maps to keep air support close of whole army;

Can be defined minimal distance in meters between each air group and leader to repositioning of default landing area closer to the leader's position. Variable: RydHQ_AirDist, 4000 by default. To "disable" this, just set distance impossible to achieve on used map. Needs also RydHQ_LZ feature active.

14. IMPROVED: improved defense behavior;

Batter renforcement handling and other minor changes.

15. CHANGED: now BB analyzes the map with load screen active, which makes all procedure much quicker;

Displayed some seconds after mission start loading screen can be irritating a bit, but with this BB's map reading for Chernaruss took in my case 10-15 seconds instead of 2-3 minutes.

16. NEW: optional "dynamic formation" feature, that changes on the fly group's formation and behavior if in possible danger (experimental);

As experimental, inactive by default. can be activated with RydHQ_DynForm = true;

With this, every danger factor check, if danger is enough, each group will automatically change its formation, speed and behavior for more combat readiness (wedge/aware/normal speed). Should return back to previosu settings, when danger is gone.

17. code tweaks and fixes.

Seems, that there is always something more to fix...

Of course many new features means risk of many new bugs, so I'm, as usual, grateful for any feedback, it is very helpful.

Special thanks to Lucidity - veritable Krakatoa volcano of ideas and feedback. :)

Edited by Rydygier

Thank you Rydygier, this should be fun.

Thanks to user's feedback was found and squashed some code bug in 1.4's arty targeting function, so 1.41 released. BTW fixed also some problem with garrison function. Remember - quick feedback is a chance for quick fix. :)

EDIT: I need opinions in new snipers behavior and usage matter - it is fine? Currently HAC as infatry attack will interchangeably with regular infantry uses snipers (for most situations preferred over regulars). And there is limitation 3 inf groups per target. So if more than 2 sniper groups present, will happen often, that some target will be from infantry side "handled" only by snipers with their approach specificity. I can make them addition, not replacement to regular infantry attacks, but then from the other hand regular infantry, as moves faster, usually will engage target before snipers arrive. So not sure, which way is better.

Edited by Rydygier

Also I'm now thinking about this ambient radio chatter generated by HAC. Really want to have it.

Currently best (simpliest to implement and with potentially best effect) would be sideRadio, which simply broadcasts sound with optional sidechat message as radio message. Sounds must be in CfgRadio class. By default there is not much such sounds, and not usable. This means recording own sentences and adding them into HAC. There are certain moments in HAC code execution, when decides, who will do what, if he can, if not - why, who needs how support, who is in danger etc. In such moments can be added with some chance of occurence (to avoid chatter flood) sideradio sentence. Probably voices should be made, so there will be hum, noise, fading (rather not dynamic, but who knows, if possible somehow...) even maybe some firefight sounds in background (can be perhaps applied to the sentence, as noises, from external sounds score)... Main problem are sentences itself. If this method will be chosen, then I'll need English language (probably all sides and factions will speak in English, to much work and MBs for covering other languages, maybe later, as optional addition also Russian?) voice actors, the more the better, I know, that this can be recorded very convincing, as I have RUG_DSAI addon. Still, before I can ask for voice actors, I need to determine exact contents of this sentences. Mostly needed are simply, short, universal sentences of confirmation or refusal, but for better effect, that makes list far longer, would be nice also explanations and sit reps, plus some shouts, panic, fear, anger - to make it an "emotion carrier" that will make HAC's battles more suggestive, moving experience. All list positions should be recorded by all actors and moreover - with intonation fit expected situation, perhaps even some sounds with several intonations per actor. To minimize repeatability best would be a few versions of each sentence (meaning same, other words).This looks like huge side-project. Do not know, if workable at all. For now only one of possible solutions, but my favorite. kbTell sounds too artificial and have not sufficient for this task sounds library. Plus is complicated in implementation.

Practical dimension of such addition will be better orientation/knowledge, what is going on, how battle goes. The worse, the more support requests, shouts, fear, panic and... silence.

For now - perhaps someone have some propositions, what sentences should be recorded, what words do you want to hear during battle? Or knows some source of such sounds?

Edited by Rydygier

Hi,

I have been having some issues with the mod. I set up a mission, following the PDF's instructions, and the tutorial video. I then launch the game, and while I get a message from HQ, I do not get a mission. Have I set something wrong or is there some sort of patch for this?

Just in case its important, I have been using ARMA 2 wih OA expansion, map is Takistan with me, the Takistani Insurgents, vs the US army. I have 2 HAC commanders, one for each side.

Please get back to me as soon as you can- I really want to use this in my missions!

All the best,

Shrikey

Hi. This happens each try? In other missions too? Tried included demos with same effect? This was single player, right? What kind of unit are you playing? Is there 3D waypoint marker visible? There is no briefing task entry on map screen nor marker on the map?

Best - can you upload here your mission for testing (addon-free optimal, otherwise only, if I have same addons)? Obviously I can't tell, if you set something wrong, if I do not know, what did you exactly set and what not. :) That's way "repro" mission is best help for bughunter.

Edited by Rydygier

Also I'm now thinking about this ambient radio chatter generated by HAC. Really want to have it.

Currently best (simpliest to implement and with potentially best effect) would be sideRadio, which simply broadcasts sound with optional sidechat message as radio message. Sounds must be in CfgRadio class. By default there is not much such sounds, and not usable. This means recording own sentences and adding them into HAC. There are certain moments in HAC code execution, when decides, who will do what, if he can, if not - why, who needs how support, who is in danger etc. In such moments can be added with some chance of occurence (to avoid chatter flood) sideradio sentence. Probably voices should be made, so there will be hum, noise, fading (rather not dynamic, but who knows, if possible somehow...) even maybe some firefight sounds in background (can be perhaps applied to the sentence, as noises, from external sounds score)... Main problem are sentences itself. If this method will be chosen, then I'll need English language (probably all sides and factions will speak in English, to much work and MBs for covering other languages, maybe later, as optional addition also Russian?) voice actors, the more the better, I know, that this can be recorded very convincing, as I have RUG_DSAI addon. Still, before I can ask for voice actors, I need to determine exact contents of this sentences. Mostly needed are simply, short, universal sentences of confirmation or refusal, but for better effect, that makes list far longer, would be nice also explanations and sit reps, plus some shouts, panic, fear, anger - to make it an "emotion carrier" that will make HAC's battles more suggestive, moving experience. All list positions should be recorded by all actors and moreover - with intonation fit expected situation, perhaps even some sounds with several intonations per actor. To minimize repeatability best would be a few versions of each sentence (meaning same, other words).This looks like huge side-project. Do not know, if workable at all. For now only one of possible solutions, but my favorite. kbTell sounds too artificial and have not sufficient for this task sounds library. Plus is complicated in implementation.

Practical dimension of such addition will be better orientation/knowledge, what is going on, how battle goes. The worse, the more support requests, shouts, fear, panic and... silence.

For now - perhaps someone have some propositions, what sentences should be recorded, what words do you want to hear during battle? Or knows some source of such sounds?

That is an excellent idea, as long as it's not a flood of idle/useless information. An abundance of voice acting may be unnecessary, but a few brief commands with natural voices would definitely improve the clunky mechanical game voice. I think the best application for voice actors would be to mimic dialog and tones of the in-game voices, so the exchange of human and computer dialog is not completely unnatural. Some phrases that might fit well would be:

"Yes"

"No"

"Working" - something in progress.

"Acknowledged" - comms with leaders

"Over" - ending a radio transmission

"Do you read?" - request comms

"Recon mission"

"Attack mission"

"Fire mission" - artillery or whatever

"Strike mission" - aerial attack

"Support inbound" - approved support request

"Support denied"

"Responding to"

"Hostiles spotted at [x,y,z]"

More visual information in the side-chat would probably be welcomed in HAC before full implementation of voice recordings, so maybe the development of LeaderHQ communication would help display activity which could be interpreted by voice actors at a later time.

Hi. This happens each try? In other missions too? Tried included demos with same effect? This was single player, right? What kind of unit are you playing? Is there 3D waypoint marker visible? There is no briefing task entry on map screen nor marker on the map?

Best - can you upload here your mission for testing (addon-free optimal, otherwise only, if I have same addons)? Obviously I can't tell, if you set something wrong, if I do not know, what did you exactly set and what not. That's way "repro" mission is best help for bughunter.

Happens each try, tried included demos but didn't even get the HQ message, Singleplayer, playing infantry, no waypoint marker visible, no update in tasks.

Can try uploading mission. While i work that out these are the things I've been using.

(RydHQB_Obj4) For enemy objectives, 4 interchangeable with objective

(RydHQ_Obj2) For friendly objectives. 2 interchangeable

(LeaderHQB) Enemy Commander

(LeaderHQ) Friendly Commander

These are all the names I have been using.

Yes, starting with only text sidechat is good idea. This way I can tweak code for that before any sound will be recorded. Thanks for yours propositions. Not sure yet, but there may be difficult in this method merging several sounds into one sentence, so maybe even we will need whole sentences recorded at once... such chaining is not possible for radio text chat, as each command use means new line/sentence. Same would be with sideradio sounds. So this probably will be not kbTell-like, but big work of recording full sentences for many circumstancies best in several variants for each.

Can try uploading mission. While i work that out these are the things I've been using.

Great. Then I'll check this. In general I know, that missions for player is working in 1.41 fine, tested today.

Can now confirm that the demo missions are not giving me tasks either- is there some patch I need to get?

Can now confirm that the demo missions are not giving me tasks either- is there some patch I need to get?

CBA is required.

I have the same problem, with latest CBA. Radio contact with leader after a few seconds, then no waypoint, and not a single unit moves, except if i give them waypoints by myself.

Are you the group leader?

Did you install CBA manually or with SixUpdater?

Edited by Lucidity

Actually, it now works. I've updated the game from 1.60 to 1.62 and now, it's ok!

Thank you for the help nonetheless.

No. Tasks are working without any special patch for HAC. The only known to me circumastance, where assigning task can be seriously delayed (but still occurs) is when CPU is overloaded and scripts suffers delays (eg when is too much units on map, but in demos isn't too much). Without yours mission test can't tell, what cause yours issue.

In fact - if for you in demos tasks not work, and for me - are working... Perhaps this is about kind of unit used as avatar? Tried with positive results with infatry TL and tank commander in simple demo.

If this is not about this... Then I do not see possibility of HAC fault. Without CBA HAC addon version will not start at all, and script version will work properly. Then my guess would be mentioned game version. Have you 1.62 or earlier? In 1.4 introduced some function, that uses commands from 1.62.

Edited by Rydygier

For MP compatibility, I only need a functions module and a trigger on the map correct? Or do I need do make any changes in the init.sqf?

Really nice Ryd,

Its great just watching it in action from a distance.. thats just playing the simple version on HazarKot, i used town construction module and witnessed armour move into one of the towns then camp in between buildings, fire off a few rounds and takes out an enemy tank then moves way back into the hills lol... that was awesome :)

Does anyone know how to incorporate DAC? just a basic setup using the simple HAC option, i remember seeing something about it earlier in this thread...or is it as simple as delaying HAC until DAC has done its thing? or is it even possible?

I added isServer check into RyHQInit first line, so as far, as I know, changes in init.sqf or any other changes for MP are not needed any more. Unless I do not know about something. Of course doubled isServer check does not harm anyway. Tested BB with functions module (always needed for MP) and custom battlefield trigger (in MP needed only if used BB), and mission worked fine with lacking earlier, and now visible communication HQ -> player and briefing task entries.

or is it as simple as delaying HAC until DAC has done its thing?

Yes, thats the solution. I saw this in some Orcinus' wip. HAC should be activated after releasing spawned by DAC groups from furhter DAC control (appriopriate waitUntil in init.sqf before RydHQInit.sqf execVM or before all HAC init config to keep things more elegant). There was some troubles with choppers however, as even after releasing DAC tried to make strange things with them including temporary fuel deprivation to make crew get out. Do not know, why.

---------- Post added at 09:30 ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 ----------

I'm not DAC specialist, but as for delaying HAC's init waituntil, was used between DAC and HAC init lines in init.sqf such line:

waitUntil {DAC_Release_Action == 0};

just before and again just after releasing procedure, where involved was DAC_fReleaseGroup. This must be described in DAC manual.

I remember, that for removing this choppers issues needed was DAC's code analyze and modifying a few lines in some place...

Edited by Rydygier