Rydygier

HETMAN - Artificial Commander

For HAC users: What is the maximum number of simultaneously used by you Leaders?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. For HAC users: What is the maximum number of simultaneously used by you Leaders?

• Only one
    • Two
    • Three
    • Four of them
    • Five
    • Six
    • Seven
    • All eight!

if you are running it on a dedi server you should use if (!isDedicated) exitwith {}; in the init. That way it will only run on the server.

yeah, but it doesn't work with the latest version

Doesn't work in what way? I was using it last night and certainly my side was being given orders. I don't know about opfor as I didn't have it on debug.

I use the script version, not the pbo, and I use the !dedi exclusion in the initial calling script and in the rydhqinit.sqf

Edited by jiltedjock

Doesn't work in what way? I was using it last night and certainly my side was being given orders. I don't know about opfor as I didn't have it on debug.

I use the script version, not the pbo, and I use the !dedi exclusion in the initial calling script and in the rydhqinit.sqf

HAC works, but not BB... to bad, because its really cool.... :-)

@jiltedjock

I've sent you a PM to send me a working MP version with BB about 2 weeks ago. I still can't make it work.

Will BB always be limited to just two, or can we have another one so we can have one for each aggressive faction?

Currently BB is limited to two sides, A and B. If this will be changed in the future? I do not know. For sure adding third side wil be troublesome, and of course such changes always costs some CPU power/scheduler space. HAC is quite heavy already. Anyway seems, that I'll be too busy next few/several months with RL work to make any serious changes in HAC.

@jiltedjock

I've sent you a PM to send me a working MP version with BB about 2 weeks ago. I still can't make it work.

haven't used BB before so I don't have one. I will have a look at it.

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 PM ----------

Ok, this version of BB definitely doesn't work in multiplayer. It hangs at:

15:35:46 "Big Boss A awakes (time: 281.966)"

15:35:50 "Commander A (GENIUS) - Recklessness: 0.5 Consistency: 1 Activity: 1 Reflex: 1 Circumspection: 1 Fineness: 1"

15:35:54 "Morale A (GENIUS): 0 - losses: 0 percent (0)"

15:35:55 "Commander B (GENIUS) - Recklessness: 0.5 Consistency: 1 Activity: 1 Reflex: 1 Circumspection: 1 Fineness: 1"

15:36:00 "Morale B (GENIUS): 0 - losses: 0 percent (0)"

after that nothing is logged.

I guess it is something that has changed in boss.sqf, as there are many changes there relating to the map scan compared to earlier versions of HAC.

I have reverted to HAC 1.2 which does work in multiplayer. Is 1.31 still available for download anywhere?

Incidentally, something that is really fun is to use Domz's High Command extensions in your mission and only use one BB (for Opfor). Take command of all of Blufor usimg the HC extensions [you can set very detailed waypoints, including cycles for patrols etc] Then jump between group leaders as they come into contact.

BTW lack of further log, even map reading hint, indicates, that problem should be located in first approx. 100 lines of Boss.sqf file. One suspect is mapcenter finding, as there is waituntil, that can make infinite wait problem without any error message, if procedure of center calculation fails somehow in MP. This can be tested by set up of custom battlefield area, via RydBB_MC trigger:

RydBB_MC = (undefined) – this variable may be used for customizing of size and placement of area, that Big Boss of both sides will study for topographical data (square) and objectives choosing (circular, so square’s corners will be excluded). May be useful for BB initialization quickening, when map is big, and only its part will be used as battlefield. Works in two ways. First, mission maker can name as RydBB_MC a trigger, which position will mark center of customized battlefield area and trigger’s width multiplied by two will indicate side length of square battlefield area. This length should be divisible by 500. Optimally trigger should be not twisted (angle = 0) and square. This way its border will indicate exact border of customized battlefield area. Second, may be defined as an array, 2D position coordinates of custom battlefield’s center point. NOTE: if not used, should stay undefined (nil);

In such case, center is set up manually, so waituntil is omitted...

I've just tried what you suggested, and yeah, it works :) Units get orders and get moving. With much greater framerate if you have quad cpu. But there is always a but. It seems that all the debug and the communication needs to be reworked, because I don't get a single message, nothing. I don't know anything about MP scripting, but I think the player(s) is treated differently in MP and SP. I suppose this isn't a big deal to fix for people who know MP scripting.

In short, if you use RydBB_MC for manually defining the battlefield area, HAC will work in dedicated MP, but the communication and debug messages need rework. BTW I didn't even get a task.

I've just tried what you suggested, and yeah, it works :) Units get orders and get moving. With much greater framerate if you have quad cpu. But there is always a but. It seems that all the debug and the communication needs to be reworked, because I don't get a single message, nothing. I don't know anything about MP scripting, but I think the player(s) is treated differently in MP and SP. I suppose this isn't a big deal to fix for people who know MP scripting.

In short, if you use RydBB_MC for manually defining the battlefield area, HAC will work in dedicated MP, but the communication and debug messages need rework. BTW I didn't even get a task.

So, the latest version can be played in multiplayer as long as RydBB_MC is manually defined?

If you don't want the player be part of BB (you don't want to get tasks from BigBoss), just the 2 sides fighting each other (without you getting any info on the battle except map debug markers), then yes, it works.

Hmm. Is HQ-player communication and tasks markers working in dedicated MP without active BB? (BB doesn't use separate code for this, but is used same code, as for HAC without BB, as tasks for player are assigned by Leader (from "normal" HAC level), BB assigns his "operational" orders only to subordinated Leaders). The only exception here is move order given for infantry group send towards garrison area, controlled by Leader set as BB's reserve division (manning taken objectives).

Markers are working. BB itself is working too (I see friendly units moving in a simple HAC mission) but no communication with the player. You don't get a task, none of the globalchat/hint messages appear and no tasks are set to the player(s). I can send you the example MP mission. Should work the same using a non-dedi setup too.

Actually, the player probably gets a task, just he isn't informed of it. Because it seems all other units behave regularly.

EDIT: now that I re-read your post, BB itself is working, but no BB-player or HQ-player comms are working. It seems all is working, except giving any info to the plater(s).

Edited by kutya

Repro will be valuable, only not sure, when I'll have time to check it. Perhaps commands used for communication with each of "isPlayer" units are not MP-compatibile, if so, then there shouldn't be any of such communication also with simple HAC scenario, without used BB.

Here is the mission:

http://www.filedropper.com/bigbosschernarus

You'll see nearby units moving after a while. Btw since you're already using CBA, I think there are some specific utility functions for communications. At least, some people mentioned them over at OFPEC. Oh, you need to export this mission to MP missions and then run it via dedi server, otherwise it will run just fine probably, but with all the load on 2 cpu's.

OK, I'll check this in some free time, although till now I never "ran via dedi server" anything, so not sure yet, how to.

OK, I'll check this in some free time, although till now I never "ran via dedi server" anything, so not sure yet, how to.

It should not need a dedicated server. Merely hosting the map in MP on your LAN will reproduce the issue. Maybe the rpt would give you some clues?

hosting the map in MP on your LAN

I did that with above repro. All is working fine - markers, hints, sidechats, tasks, HQ - player communication... All is normal. No error logs in RPT.

I did that with above repro. All is working fine - markers, hints, sidechats, tasks, HQ - player communication... All is normal. No error logs in RPT.

But do you have ai engaging targets?

I'm just guessing, but I think if you just host the map, then the same app issues and receives the commands. On a dedicated server, the server issues the commands and the clients should receive tasks and comms, so I think there is a difference. But I ain't no expert on this.

EDIT: BTW I never used a dedicated server before either, but it isn't a big deal if you use this tool: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=11655

I managed to make it running in less than an hour. It works on the same copy as your original Arma2 install.

Edited by kutya

OK, thanks, I'll try this tool later.

But do you have ai engaging targets?

Same, as we talk earlier on PM. I saw some firefights, but also saw situations, when AI is ignoring enemies. IMO obvious symptom of overloaded CPU (easy to achieve on my machine), that affects danger.fsm or something. I heard engage orders, but no one follow them. Sometimes units of both groups can run mixed together here and there. In fact I have no idea, how to achieve such effect via scripting, and I would like to :) . Such effect would very useful for hit and run guerilla attacks (rapid and effective withdrawing from firefight).

So if the number of units is reduced, do you still see CPU overload?